iPhone Battle Academy by slitherine Ltd.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Werechihuahua, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Slitherine Iain

Slitherine Iain Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Hi guys

what exactly are the issues you're seeing with pan/zoom/rotate. To rotate you touch the screen with 2 fingers spaced out and then rotate one of them (make sure you leave one stationary as it cant tell the difference between zoom and rotate if you try and move both). Zoom is by pinching. Pan is by dragging. I didnt have any trouble so not sure what you guys are seeing differently.

On the kill chance I'll check. The Panzer IV A you looked at does have particularly bad armour all round so the Panzer III may wellhave better armour on the rear than it does on the front. Can you check again to see if it really does give a kill though - this sounds unlikely when reporting a 0% chance to kill.

To cancel a move just select another unit or doble tap on nothing to deselect or tap the units info bar at the bottom to deselect.

Units do not have health. A tank was either alive or dead, it didnt slowly get nibbled away at like you see in RTS games so hits either pentrate & kill or bounce. You should be able to see if they penetrate! :)

On the unit list issues would you like to have an option to put a unit to "sleep" so it got ignored for the rest of the turn when cycling?

Rewinding the replay is nice but not really possible. It's a massive job to do so unfortunately not really possible. It may be possible to watch the entire replay again if thats desierable?

Veteran units carry over in carryover campaigns. See Market Garden for an example of a carryover campign. This feature was added in an expansions so none of the original games made use of it but user content can so maybe someone will create some user maps with carryover.

If I've missed any questions let me know. Its a long thread! :)

Cheers

Iain

2. Slitherine Iain

Apr 10, 2011
    Checked all the % and everything looks fine here on iPad for me.

3. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    I mentioned this earlier in the thread and a couple of other players concurred...

It's not difficulty using pan, zoom or rotate - it's the performance of these functions - it's really slow and choppy. I get this poor performance on both my iPad 2 and my new iPad.

Cheers,

Jamie.

4. Slitherine Iain

Apr 10, 2011
    Rotate & Zoom are very smooth for me on iPad2. I'll have to retry on the iPad1. Could you be running other apps in memory that are reducing what's available to BA and reducing its performance? If you do a complete reboot of your system by powering down do you still see the issue?

Panning is a little "Choppy" because it has to scroll tile by tile but the frame rate is pretty high for me. We could hide the cursor when scrolling and that might make it look nicer?

Ahh I just noticed something. Rotate & zoom seem to work better for me when I dont have a unit selected. Can you try this and confirm if its the same for you? If this is the issue I would have thought we should be able to fix it.

5. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    It definitely is more choppy with a unit selected. I also find sometimes when I try to rotate it 'jumps' the view - so it doesn't seem to use my current 'view' as the starting point for the rotation. I'll play some more tonight and try to provide some more feedback.

I will say, though, just in case any of this is putting people off this game, this is NOT a big issue at all - the game screams quality and polish and this is a very minor point.

Jamie.

6. Slitherine Iain

Apr 10, 2011
    Thanks - any patterns you can see to this will be great to know in helping us track it down.

7. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Will there be a lite version for this game?

8. Slitherine Iain

Apr 10, 2011
    Lite version is TBD right now. Its a fair bit of work to do right and we would rather make more content for teh existing game but know we have to strike a balance between making cool new stuff and marketing materials to sell what we've already done!

9. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Here's a quick video of how rotation works for me (not very well)...

[​IMG]

Just before this I killed all running processes and did a hard reboot of the iPad 2.

I'll see if I can catch a vid of the view jumping also.

10. RecruiterFran

RecruiterFran New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Iain, I'd strongly recommend doing a lite version. At the price point you've pitched the full game, you're going to find a lot of people, who otherwise could be tempted, put off by the price. Just my opinion, though.

Good luck with it, and good for you guys for keeping the Britsoft flagging quietly flying.

11. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Most apps rotate if you move both fingers together around the point between them.

12. robiow

robiow Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    When this is sub £10, I'll make a purchase. By then hopefully the app will be optimised for iPad 3

13. PipFromSlitherine

PipFromSlitherine Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Just to be clear, we are unlikely to drop the price any time soon. If nothing else, it would not be a great thankyou to all the people who have already grabbed the game... ;)

Cheers

Pip

14. robiow

robiow Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    That's cool, I've plenty to be getting on with. Will keep an eye out

15. RecruiterFran

RecruiterFran New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    I see stuff like this a LOT from gamers, and it saddens me. Sure, it's your money and you can do what you like - don't think I'm disagreeing with that. but knowing the amount of developers I do (I'm a recruiter in video games, albeit one who doesn't deal with Slitherine), I know EXACTLY how much work goes into these games and how much money it costs to bring stuff like this to market - especially for the niche studios like these guys or Eagle Dynamics or Third Wire. I saw it a LOT with Codies and their OFP series (which I still think were better tactical games than their sales would suggest).

If you like the look of this, and you'd be willing to spend a tenner, then please consider going the extra few pounds. After all, it's for a great cause and will help ensure they work on other stuff in future:)

16. Slitherine Iain

Apr 10, 2011
    Thanks for the video. We added a sensitivity filter so that only movements above a certain level regsitered for the rotation. This is to stop it appearing jerky. Its like a dampner. The issue is you're moving your fingers slower than the minimum level its designed to detect. Try moving your fingers faster and it should be fine. If this turns out to be the issue then we can look at the sensitivty and see if we can make it more sensitive without making it jerky.

17. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    It seems like he's moving his fingers pretty fast, to me. If you're trying to get a particular view, I don't see how you could go much faster and get to exactly the orientation you want.

18. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

Can you make this a user selectable sensitivity option? This will be your best bet. Trying to have one setting that will work for everybody is going to be impossible, especially as the technology advances from year to year and the hardware changes. I mean, look at the difference between the iPad 1 and the 3rd Gen iPad. This would allow people to adjust the sensitivity to fit their needs.

19. Slitherine Iain

Apr 10, 2011
    We're going to play with the settings a bit and see what we can come up with.

Phil has also just gone to get hold of an iPad3 and see what we can do for that :)

20. RecruiterFran

RecruiterFran New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Should point out I grabbed it this afternoon. Had a (brief) play with it, didn't notice any scrolling/panning issues etc. On the (new) iPad.