PS4 deposits, do they think we are stupid?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I went into gamestop today to buy my kids a Wii game, and I was considering putting $50 down as a PS4 deposit.... but I couldn't because they want $100 deposit!!!!

The manager said it was

A. To make sure people are serious about wanting one.

B. To make sure we have one for you when it is released.

OK, B might have some truth to it, but A is pure BS. They want $100 because they can make twice as much interest with $100 than they can with $50. I told the manager that a $100 was unreasonable. And I didn't put a deposit on a PS4.

Most likely too, some other company will take deposits at some point, and they won't be asking for $100. At least that is what I think. BTW, I could have put $100 down with no problem, but it is the principle of the matter to hold my $100 for 4 - 6 months.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Some countries are crazy when it comes to pre-orders. I pre-ordered a PS4 a few weeks ago, and I paid nothing. No deposits here, just say you want one and you're on the list. Same rule for games. Don't let them nickel and dime you, stand up and fight!

3. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    If you don't like it, don't complain.

It's they're policy. I had to place $50 down on my Vita and 3DS, did I care? No, because you can withdraw your pre-order which is the exact reason I have no idea why you care. It's not like you wouldn't be paying that extra $50 in the end.

4. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I'll just wait until I can go in somewhere with cash and walk straight out with a PS4 it isn't that the deposit sizes bother me I've spent more than the price of a PS4 just this week on clothes/shoes but here in the UK at least a lot of game shops have been out of the blue declaring their bankrupt and refusing to accept gift cards, vouchers/coupons, pre orders among other things and somehow it's apparently legal.

So yeah they won't be getting any deposits from me.

5. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    #5 Papa Deuce, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

No the correct thing IS TO COMPLAIN if you don't like it, if you want policies to change. If you remain quiet, maybe next time they will want $200. Then maybe the time after that they will want 100% up front...

You obviously don't understand economics. I care because that extra $50 could be in my wallet instead of making interest for gamestop.

6. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013

7. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Just get it off Amazon.

8. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    To be honest, these fun toys are electronic garbages to some extent.
    do not put too much time and vigor into these things.
    well it's only my opinion, the job make me stick with computers all the day, not feeling so good.

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Bingo.

What the hell.

10. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I'm not rolling with you on this one, Pillsbury. Deposits on consoles have always been exorbitant in relation to a normal game pre-order. I will say $100 might be a new record, though. Usually it has been $50 with every other console I can think of. :(

11. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    But what if Amazon goes out of- oh wait...

12. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    $50 seems fair.

13. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I agree with you. But I would just wait until it comes out, and if I still wanted it, buy it then. But that's just me.

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm not rolling with anybody who's paying for the privilege of promising to give a store a lot of money later on. They should be freakin' paying you. Buy online and pay nothing for pre-orders, like the pros do.

15. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I didn't mind putting down 100 dollars. I actually thought the preorders would be sold out by the time I got there in the afternoon because I thought this was going to be super high in demand or something. Now if the deposit was only 5 dollars I bet it would been sold out by then because I would imagine most people don't want to just give up 100 dollars as if they are putting a product on layaway.

I honestly don't even think the PS4 will be worth the full value of the console until at least 1-2 years after it's out. The first gen titles will be slightly upscaled versions of the current gen titles and once they drop current gen completely then they'll be able to fully take advantage of what the consoles are capable of without having to develop for the lowest common denominator.

16. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I'm not thinking about PS4 yet. PS3 still has a few more year in it, so I'm not thinking about it. But yea, $100 is steep for a deposit. $50-$75 seems okay.

17. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Stopped reading after this laughably ridiculous statement.

I pre-ordered a PS4 and 6 games off of EBgames/Gamestop.com, paid for in full. My excitement got the best of me, sorry wallet :eek: