'Wars' and TD style games -- endless or 'winnable'

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by lazypeon, Oct 13, 2009.

1. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Just curious what everyone thinks. I'm currently at the concept stage for a game that is similar to Tower Defense & 'Wars' type games such as Xenowars, Cartoon Wars, etc...

In these types of games, a lot of the time, you're up against endless waves of enemies. For instance, I don't think there is any end to Xenowars -- you just keep playing against increasingly difficult waves.

However, in some games, there are just a set number of waves until you win. For instance, in most TD games, you 'beat' the map after surviving a certain number of waves.

When it comes to these types of games, do you prefer an endless mode or a mode or do you prefer being able to actually beat the game? (Pick one -- assume both is not an option)

2. AppNerds

AppNerds Member

This is a good question. And in my opinion (and also if you look at the pattern of best sellers) they really don't have an "end." Or if they do, there is massive repeat value.

Take PocketGod for example, it's technically a game, but there's no real goal to achieve...yet it's still extremely fun and it's a best seller.

But I think the #1 type of game that is best suited for the iPhone is the game that has endless playability within a specific context. Examples of this are Ragdoll Blaster (where there's just 104 preset levels, but it has an almost cult-like following of people replaying levels to get a lower score). Orr flight control (same 4 airfields but you can play forever trying to get a higher and higher score).

If you execute on that, and make it a blast to play...you've got a best seller.

3. Fudgeboy

Fudgeboy Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Student
    UK
    i prefer endless mode, but only after you've defeated the map. then the gameplay goes on forever. how about you make a poll?

4. iPhoneUser

iPhoneUser Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    #4 iPhoneUser, Oct 13, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
    Well this one's really easy to answer...

I don't think there is a single endless-only TD game that has sold well. Many winnable-only ones have done well, but very often due to popular request the developer adds an endless mode on as well.

In short, winnable is a must but having both is the best way to go (even though it's not an option-lol).

5. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    I think swarm did this very well. Do different levels and make one an endless mode. Obviously this doesnt apply to all games. So in that sense I think that Cartoon Wars did this pretty well too. Where you play endless stages. You beat a stage but it keeps going. However, that gets boring too, my advice is: Make a goal oriented game, with an endless mode on the side. Don't forget powerups. I think the biggest reason that games such as geoDefense and The Creeps! did well is the upgrade system. People want to be rewarded for upgrading their unit/tower both visually and the way it behaves. The ammo, the way it does damage, the way it looks, etc. It's very important.

6. Mr. Crazy

Mr. Crazy Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    Best are both i one game, but if i had to pick one it would be endless.

7. MrJR

MrJR Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009

This is the right answer without a doubt. There has to be an acheivable goal. I expect that it is a small segment of the most avid gamers that occasionally clamor for endless modes. It's psychology; most people don't want to play a game that they lose everytime.

8. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    i gotta agree, you need a winnable goal but for lots of replayability you'll need the endless mode