Godfire IAP Debate and Discussion - Can a game have IAP and still be labeled premium?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by chief78, Jun 18, 2014.

1. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Why oh why would they make the top weapons IAP only in a $6 game? Yep, agreed on waiting for imps.....that seems shady...

2. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Very shady practice. I think I'll pass on this one at this point, tho did look semi tempting...

3. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    #3 Zeillusion, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    ^ please read guys.

It's coming out Thursday USA time. It's out in the NZ already because in New Zealand it's already Thursday. It'll be available at midnight in the USA.

Can't wait, game looks great. It's 6$ so I'm surprised there's iap's. There not cosmetic there actual weapons?

I seriously dislike that we suppose the devs with the 6$ and we can't obtain top items and weapons. Were not cheap and we love premium games, so we pay 6$ and get an epic 3 hour experience but can't get the full experience. Having the most powerful items & weps is part of beating the game / the experience and we can't obtain these?

Could someone explain.

Also the Titan edition comes with a poster / soundtrack & art book I believe. First time ios is selling a collectors edition. Were nice enough to support the product.

Allow us to obtain the Top Tier items please :)

I meant USA 11pm est

4. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I was worried about the combat when I saw the preview video. Why make it so slow? A fast relentless speed would have been much better. Is there any reason to make it slow motion? The same speed of GOW would have made it awesome instead of ordinary.

Once I launched the game and had a look at all the IAP I was sorry I bought it because in Australia its $8.99 and so, so many IAP's and I'm sure that you'll need thrm to enjoy the game. I feel really sorry I bought it. Would rather have paid $15 and got a full game.

All games with so many IAP's are especially dumbed down to get you to buy. Either weapons or gameplay or both are dumbed down.

I've been had for $8.99. With so, so many IAP's they should have made it freemium. I think they will eventually but want to cash in on God of War fanatics who will buy this without thinking. Like me. This is nothing but a cash cow and poker machine. Very sorry I bought it.

5. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    #5 worldcitizen1919, Jun 19, 2014
    Overpriced considering its choc a block full of IAP's. I thought this was supposed to be premium. Didn't TA say that in a preview? There was no indication it was to be smothered with IAP.

6. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    I made a big mistake buying this and just blew $8.99. The marketing led us to believe its a God of War ios version. Well it isn't. Only visually it looks similar. That is clever bordering on deceitful marketing. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Its a cash cow. I thought it was launching as a premium only game after TA said this....

TA " Godfire will launch as a Premium game" ?????

I just bought it and its choc a block full of IAP 's. I paid A$8.99 and I still have to fork out more for a better weapon? Upgrading can cost real money too!!

Sorry I bought this. So now, to enjoy a game I paid $8.99 for I have to wait for a 'How to play Godfire without using IAP guide' from TA? Is that fair after paying $8.99? I'm p... Off completely about this. IAP's galore. What's the. $8.99 for then.

My advice wait for freemium or a huge price drop to $1.99 its a freemium game why they're charging premium for it has got my blood boiling!! I've been HAD.

7. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Wow ok thanks for the imps.

8. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    wow I was actually looking forward to this. I ran to my nearest target and picked up a 15$ App Store card but all these impressions slow gameplay short game cost 6$ plus IAP to get better weapons? wow nevermind i rather get that power puff girl game

9. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Good god, 7 freaking dollars for a game that's short and has IAP's? No thanks. Thanks for posting your thoughts guys. Your sacrifice shall not be in vain

10. TheOutlander

TheOutlander Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    I'm not defending the iAPs on a paid game or something among those lines, but why Gameloft got away with this same BS at N.O.V.A. 3 or MC4 at the exact same price point?

11. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    My guess is it's an established franchise that people know is good, regardless of IAP's... This game is completely new AND pretty pricy.

12. Dom1nat0R

Dom1nat0R Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Maybe because those were full games with a decent amount of campaign time and a complete multiplayer experience. The iap's in mc4 weren't that necessary but I remember nova being frustrating bc of the short amount of coins you receive.

13. Klonis

Klonis Active Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Surely some developers they do not want our money.Games with iAP=$$$$$ fake Games

14. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    I laughed so hard. Thank you.

15. Basically, this is another 2013: Infected Wars too good to be true scenario. *sigh* This, developers, is how you alienate potential customers

Seriously, as someone who has been in pretty much the same position from you with 2013 Infected Wars, I feel your pain. Now you've done this, just quote this game as the reason you don't TOFTT with any expensive game in the future. It'll save you from having to go through this again

16. suhail

suhail Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Short game, stuffed with IAP's, good thing i read some impressions before dropping my bars on this iap fest. Guess al just have to download powerpuff girls after all

17. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    How long did you play the game before reaching these conclusions? Are you just reacting to the fact that there are IAPs and assuming they must be nessecary to enjoy the game? Or did you actually play long enough to see the IAPs become necessary? I've played a number of very good premium iOS games that also offer consumable IAPs, which turned out to be completely unnecessary to enjoy the game, so I wonder if you might be jumping the gun here.

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #18 metalcasket, Jun 19, 2014
    *sigh* I don't even know where to start. Not with the game, but with this thread.

So it's alright for Infinity Blade to be 7 bucks and have IAPs, but it's not with Godfire? The IAPs aren't necessary at all, and if you're buying any, you probably should stay away from games altogether. The game may be set up like God of War and has a storyline, but it's supposed to be played multiple times (Surprise!!! Like Infinity Blade! :B). You can level up Prometheus to Level 40...and that's not happening on your first playthrough, so if you're playing the game "correctly" (i.e. multiple times) you'll have more than enough skill points and currency to do whatever the hell you want.

Bloody hell guys, why is everyone so quick to judge shit? Think less God of War and more Infinity Blade and this whole premium + IAP crap won't seem like an issue. Yeesh.

Look, I also thought this would be a premium title with no IAPs, but what can you do? At least it handles that pricing structure (or whatever the hell it's called) gracefully...and (controversial opinion, perhaps?) has a shitload more content and (better) combat than the entire (overrated, insanely repetitive) Infinity Blade series altogether.

Also, there's a 4/5 TouchArcade review up right now and Pocket Gamer should have one up in a couple of hours (perhaps good, perhaps bad), so maybe those will help people decide.

19. worldcitizen1919

Jun 27, 2012
    #19 worldcitizen1919, Jun 19, 2014
    Once I've paid for a game a premium price I don't want pop ups asking me to buy stuff with real money. This game although I paid $8.99 has that scam and I hate that. I paid and want to be left alone to play but when you have lack of resources you'll get a pop up asking if you want to buy gold with real money.

I'll have to stick to no IAP games as I don't like being harassed for money.

20. razorracer83

razorracer83 Well-Known Member

Or even their other game that's like this; Wild Blood.

If I recall, Wild Blood, just like Godfire, is a God of War style hack-and-slash that costs $6.99 and has IAPs. The only difference, is that if I recall, in Wild Blood there was a paywall in the form of extremely hard to beat enemies that forced you to either grind earlier levels for gold for a long while or purchase the gold with cash in order to get the equipment needed to survive the higher levels.