Achievements for Flickitty

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Flickitty, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    An achievement system has always been in our plan for Flickitty, however it didn't make it into the initial release. I'm actually glad we waited, because now we have the opportunity to use a much more robust, stable and prolific system.

I am not up to speed on the terminology, so you will have to excuse me until I finish reading the documentation.

OpenFeint seems to be very popular system- are there other options out there that might work for us?

For those who have played Flickitty, are there any specific stats that you would like to see in your profile? I'm not sure if a per-task ladder would work, but the next update has a compilation of all tasks combined.

Are there things we should be aware of when implementing a system?

What are the downsides?

We would like some feedback from our players- we feel that this addition is a very natural thing for Flickitty and its current reward system.

2. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    What's Flickitty? lol! my bad for asking that

3. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    fail XD

as for acheivements maybe complete all tasks without getting a penalty, finish half the tasks without getting a penalty etc

ill edit when i think of more XD

4. ufogeek

ufogeek Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    #4 ufogeek, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
    Agon

Please consider using AGON, look at how The Creeps! has implemented it seamlessly. It works flawlessly offline too, without requiring the player to connect to his online account.

Suggestions for AGON awards:

- completing each task for the first time (19 awards)
    (could be changed to obtaining a gear since you get a gear for each task)

- completing any task without penalty for the first time (1 award)

- completing 3/5/7 tasks without penalty in a row (3 awards)

- completing all tasks in a location (5 awards)

- completing all tasks in every location (1 award)

- (secret) "fickle" aborting a task for the first time

- (secret) "deva ju" completing the same task twice in a row

- (secret) "clumsy" breaking X number of flasks (cumulative)

- (secret) burned for X number of times (cumulative)

- (secret) frozen for X number of times (cumulative)

- (secret) slime-ed (bubbled?) for X number of times (cumulative)

5. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Well the completion of all 4 tasks in a region will unlock the level editor for that level. The level editor actually exists in the current game; I used it to create the maps on the device itself. It is locked away and unattainable at this time.

Extra tasks will also be introduced that will allow the player to unlock new items to place into a map area (jet pack in the factory).

So Flickitty has real-life achievements and goals. Will these types of achievements be useful within an achievement system? Or are users looking for something purely title related?

6. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009

seriously? agon? Fail. stick with OF, much much larger user database.

7. Jaybot

Jaybot Member

Jan 20, 2009
    None
    World
    We're adding achievements to most of the PDAmill games using the OpenFeint system, which is really uber easy to implement (about as hard as filling out some fields in a spreadsheet) and has a pretty kick ass system way to set it up online.

8. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I've never even heard of Agon- but then again, some person up there never heard of Flickitty. :(

I think Dan was leaning toward OpenFeint, and I know Jaybot has his head screwed on straight most of the time. PDAmill? I thought it was Nav-n-Go.

Those crazy Hungarians.

Is Peter still doing work at PDAmill?

9. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    never heard of Flickitty before this thread, looked it up, but im not exactly sure what kind of GAME it is? The description is kind of vague on that, all i really know is you flick the cat around and he likes his job..

10. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    #10 Flickitty, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
    It is difficult to define, because it doesn't quite fit the standard definition of any particular genre. It is currently #9 in Top Paid Adventure (USA), #14 in Top Paid Puzzle (USA) and #70 in Top Paid Games (USA, all game categories combined).

You can try the free version: http://itunes.com/apps/flickittyfree. The game is so completely different than most, that we give players an opportunity to try before they buy.

I am currently submitting a new binary, so a new version should be available in a couple weeks.

11. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    is it a weird game? Like Katamari Damacy? cause i love weird games.. :D

12. spidey146

Aug 14, 2009
    Maybe also a certain amount of times u hit a certain trap, how far/long u can flick him witout touching anything (100 feet etc) unlock all gear, and maybe for the gun thing in factory it will shoot at u normaly and if u tap on it u will get locked in a room and see how many times u can avoid the shots

13. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I've heard great things about Katamari Damacy, so I would hesitate before comparing my game to that greatness.

14. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Actually, I like this idea. Tiny little maps with a specific purpose.

15. ufogeek

ufogeek Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    I got to know AGON only through The Creeps!, which implemented it really well. You can find out more about AGON at their website:

http://www.agon-online.com/

http://developer.agon-online.com/

AGON is new, so it is not surprising that fewer people know about it. Although I heard about it before I played The Creeps!, I dismissed it completely before that. As a player who has experienced Plus, OF and AGON, I would have to say AGON is the least intrusive with the best use-flow and UI. It also works offline, allows multiple profiles and doesn't taint your app with their branding all over.

No doubt OF has a bigger user base. This is a result of having more games adopting it since it is the first-to-market. But realistically, the larger user base is of no consequence because every iphone player who cares about these stuff will be using AGON/OF/Plus+ anyway. It is not a matter of choice but necessity - if a game you play use X system, you sign up to use that system.

16. spidey146

Aug 14, 2009
    Glad to be of service, my PM box is always open if you want more ideas ;)

by the way I'm a member of Yappy Dog Games

17. Jaybot

Jaybot Member

Jan 20, 2009
    None
    World
    @flickitty

PDAmill Game Studios is owned by Nav N Go to make everything more confusing :)

Nah, Peter just hangs out and makes sure the entire company doesn't fall apart.