Choose your own adventure games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mattmanp, Feb 2, 2011.

1. mattmanp

mattmanp Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I already play Cause of Death, Hysteria Project, and Surviving High School. What other good CYOA games are out there?

2. BradPat

BradPat Active Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Ace Attorney is kinda like Cause of Death with additional courtroom scenes :)

3. Fieryseraph

Fieryseraph Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2011
    I downloaded one the other day called "Choice of the Dragon", it was okay. They make a few others that I didn't read, like Choice of the Vampire.

If you like gamebooks, there are a few good ones. I downloaded Fabled Lands the other day, and was extremely happy with it. There's also Gamebook Adventures, and Fighting Fantasy. Check those out.

4. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
  5. js1210

js1210 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    What happened last night? And Paranoia. Decent and free

6. gustave154

gustave154 Member

Feb 21, 2011
    you guys should try fabled lands and the gamebook adventures.
    they are excellent gamebooks!

7. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I am really looking forward to the new Gamebook Adventures and the iPhone version of Fabled Lands...

Nobody seems to have mentioned Star Breed, which is a great gamebook too.

The Fighting Fantasy gamebooks are terrific too, but they're not nearly as well adapted for iPhone as Gamebook Adventures. The writing and art in the FF series is really top notch though.

I thought about purchasing Choice of the Vampire but if it's as short as Choice of the Dragon it seems like it'd be kind of marginal value compared to some of the other gamebooks available.

8. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    The "Choice of" games (broadsides and dragon are both free) are fantastic choose-your-own-adventure purists, and DanFab's ChoiceScript allows for some serious versatility when it comes to adding in variables and remembering things like names etc.

I'm working on my own game with the Script, it's a ton of fun.

9. Gamebook Adventures most definitely! It's got an achievement system, great page quality, unlockables and more.

Choice of Broadsides is also another good (free) one but nowhere near as high quality as Gamebook Adventures. It just has a good story.

10. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    The Fighting Fantasy series are good too - similar to the Gamebook Adventure series.

11. GBA feels a lot fairer, less buggy and more polished though.

12. imnostr8t

imnostr8t Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Heaven Bay
    Survival Games! :)

13. Sandrem

Sandrem Active Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Both are good ones...:)

14. anualisher

anualisher Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    IT
    I think Surviving High School doesn't belong to adventure games. It's more like normal life games. You play as a student and interact with other students and teachers while having several life paths' choices to make. It's a mediocre game and also suffers a few frustrations in its handful of mini-games, where touch screen control sometimes feels a little spotty.

15. Cellary

Cellary Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Gamebook Adventures, Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf, Fabled Lands and Grail Quest series are excellent! But Gamebook Adventures is my fav.They are a series of lovingly crafted and extremely well-written interactive fantasy ones. It's surprisingly engrossing stuff, the economically written narrative packing in masses of detail, while rattling out a pacey, involving story.

16. Yensimer

Yensimer Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I recommend Gamebook Adventures.

17. demid_tishin

demid_tishin Active Member

Can definitely recommend these ones:
    1. Tin Star - Wild West setting, a lot of text, a lot of non-linearity. Also top reviews (I guess the average score is a crazy 4.9 stars!)
    2. The Choice of Robots - A game about robots written by an actual robotics scientist. Loads of meaningful choices and philosophical questions.
    3. Study in Steampunk - Steampunk setting, good writing.
    4. Heavy Metal Thunder - Decent but very lightweight writing, kind of a sci-fi pulp fiction with much fighting. But! A rare case when it actually feels like an action game, even a first-person shooter I'd say. Great resource management mechanics (super limited inventory, super limited skill slots), UI, music and illustrations are great, too.
    5. Crusader Kings: Chronicles by Paradox Interactive (companion game to their PC strategy with the same name) - Medieval setting. Quite short, but very good writing and enriching. Nice visuals and fight mechanics, too.