Pixel dungeon: a great FREE roguelike android exclusive!

Discussion in 'Android Games' started by gabikun, Apr 8, 2013.

1. gabikun

gabikun Active Member

Jan 22, 2012
    When Pixel Dungeon first appeared, it was a barebones roguelike. Only 5 floors, no character selection, no unique rooms... The base was there: unidentified items, challenging monsters, lots of deaths... and very fun to play, but I felt like some things were missing.

One year and half later, the game has been improved A LOT. In the last update (yesterday!) you can now choose between mage, rogue and warrior, every class with its own strength and weakness.

Plus, there are now 15 floors (with a VERY challenging boss monster every 5 floors), tons of new items to identify (rings, weapons, armors, wands, potions, food....) and still very fun to play.

The retro graphics fit the game very well. Plus, it has a solid gameplay, no crashes at all, and... Did I mention it is FREE?

But let the screenshots talk:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

In the second screenshot you can see a locked door. It can only be opened by a key (found always in the same floor). There are also rooms with barricades (the only way to enter is to burn it...), and other type of different unique rooms!!

The third screenshot has a wand of lightning in action!

The fourth screenshot shows a shop in which you can buy and sell items!! Still no possibility to steal from it... maybe one day?

And now, what the developer says:

Pixel Dungeon is a traditional roguelike game with pixel-art graphics and simple interface.
    Explore the depths of Pixel Dungeon, collect useful items, fight fierce monsters to find Amulet of Yendor (surprise!) - the ultimate artifact of this game world.
    This is a beta and it's going to stay beta for some time, but it's fully playable. For now there're 15 levels, but I'm going to add 4-5 more levels with new monsters and items in every major release.

Here is the link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.watabou.pixeldungeon&hl=en

2. socalledsin

socalledsin Well-Known Member

Great game so far.

3. josue85

josue85 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 28, 2013
    I like it, but damn is it hard :) Either that, or I'm just really bad at it (or both).

4. Often enough that's the point of a roguelike. How else would you get to appreciate all the variety, if not by restarting repeatedly? ^^

5. gabikun

gabikun Active Member

Jan 22, 2012
    My tips:

Try to identify the potions of strength and scrolls of enhancements as fast as possible. They are basic to equip the strongest weapons and armor in the game! Don't try to equip weapons or armor if you are not strong enough.

Also worth noting that depending on the special rooms you find in one floor, there is always an item to deal with it in the same floor.

For those they want more info, there is actually a wiki about the game:

http://pixeldungeon.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Be careful, as it contains spoilers.