Universal Darkness Rush: Saving Princess

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Jan 11, 2012.

1. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    I would suggest you fix the problem with the 4th gen before you get anyone to review it. Bugs are not a good pro for games. Most reviewers will list these bugs aswell.

2. flameon

flameon Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2011
    You guys have to Fix this ipod bug... Or bad reviews will be coming on app store :(.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Quoted for truth. I got the game yesterday and wasnt able to play. I love runner games and this one looks to be a good one, so i held back from making any reviews yet.

4. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    I think those powerups work better if you're good at the game. Apparently, I'm not :p. I end up earning about the same amount whether I use them or not.
    Racing sounds interesting. Maybe I'll try again and just leave it till something happens...

5. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    It works perfect for me. Don't believe me, I'm #1 on the leaderboard (well I was this morning by a stiff margine but I haven't checked if I'm still held up there).

I'm on an iPod touch 4g, iOS 5.0.1

6. flameon

flameon Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Noone's doubting you, its just that most of us are experiencing crashes...

7. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    I got the crashes too, but nothing that restarting from springboard didn't fix. Once the game runs, it works fine with no frame rate drops and such even on an iPod. I'm suspecting people might be playing with an amount of apps running in the background.

Crashing on startup occasionally is a known problem with UE3 games (if this is marked down for that in an official review, then IB and IB2 should be as well), there's even a thread for it in which people suggest workarounds and simple explanations.

8. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I've been restarting a lot and couldnt even get past the loading screen. I have 9.6GB free on my 32GB ipod touch4 4.3.3.

Funny thing is, i've never had a problem with IB1 crashing EVER. Also, IB2 never crashed on startup on me either ever since v1.0. There were occasional crashes on IB2, but only when i play extended hours in one sitting.

Im a running game addict so I WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME NAO. :)

9. killsheep

killsheep Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2011
    #109 killsheep, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
    Hello Madman100,
    Is your iPod touch 8GB version?

The bug of 'Always Crash' perhaps only occur on 32GB and 64GB, since:
    (1) we have done many test on 8GB iPod Touch with ios 4/5; iPad 1 16G, iPad2 32G, iPhone 4 16G/32G(IOS 4/5);
    (2) I ask people who cann't run Darkness Rush, they all said they are running our game on iPod touch 32G(IOS4 & 5).

I just buy a 32G iPod touch, i will use it to reproduce this bug when i get it.

And you are right, all UDK games have crash issue on some device at sometime, included IB, IB2.

10. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Good news! I managed to get the game to work by clearing out all my apps in the cache then constantly make the game load, crash and reload until I saw the menu screen. Then I gave my iPod a hard reset and the game worked! Not sure if it will again though..

11. killsheep

Jul 2, 2011
    #111 killsheep, Jan 13, 2012
    Oh, i heard restarting device at new IOS, doesn't mean close all app(this is what PC has done for us).
    Should close apps first and then restart your device.

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This is GENIUS! I was able to play the game and I cant stop playing. I knew this game was worth it!

Unfortunately, this is only a workaround still. I bet when i close the app and open other apps, i would have to launch and re-launch the game 2 to 4 times before i can start playing again.

I am still looking forward to a more permanent solution (game update! :)), but for now, this will do.

I still havent tested an instance where i am playing a game then a notification pops up. I hope it doesnt crash the game and i lose some progress. :)

I want to give some feedback because I want this game to be perfect. Right now, even with the crash-on-startup issues i am already loving it.

For some feedback, during the intro where the dragon flies in, the animation gets a little choppy. Very little, but very noticeable. The framerate also suffers when there are multiple fireballs on the screen simultaneously. The character selection is also a little choppy, but matters less since the actual gameplay is everything.

As for the gameplay, I was hoping maybe we could do little hops, like jump lower and come back down faster with a tap. I think it is essential to give it more of a responsive control that each tap and/or hold gets.

Also, it might just be me, but i think the attack moves the character too far forward. OR, maybe pressing jump can cancel an attack animation.

Again, i cant stress how much i am enjoying this game. Looking forward to future updates and improvements!

13. killsheep

Jul 2, 2011
    #113 killsheep, Jan 13, 2012
    I am glad you like darkness rush.:D
    We will do our best to fix this bug.
    Because we keep iPod same rendering settings as iphone4/4s, so that FPS at iPod is slow.
    Next update will improve gameplay as well.

And if you select werewolf, all your request about gameplay is just to transform to wolf body;

14. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Loving the game! One suggestion, iCloud support please.

15. killsheep

Jul 2, 2011
    facebook, twitter, iCould will be supported in next next version.:D (i don't know how to say"Next version after next version" in english).

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The version after next. :)

or 2 versions from now. :)

I think those work well, and honestly, "next next version" is also understood.

17. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    so... i jsut bought ANOTHER broken game?... just my luck -__-

18. Mookmonster

Mookmonster Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    #118 Mookmonster, Jan 13, 2012
    Crash Fix Works

I am confirming what others have said in order to fix the crash bug.

Effectively, close all apps that are in that standby slider (double tap home button to open). After you close all those apps, hard reboot the device. Game starts the first or second time you try to open the game.

Game Impressions: Pretty simple, but still enjoyable. I see a LOT of similarities with Robot Unicorn, with a bit of jetpack joyride, but this game feels more deep, with more things to do, and a lot more options. The magic bar increases strategy significantly. when you attack, you lose magic unless u actually kill something. So I like to use attack to move forward to get over gaps, but if I do that too much I have no more magic and cant attack.

Really gotta think things out in this game, avoid enemies/missiles, know when to transform. Really nice game for a simple

Oh, I use an ipod 3g. Crashed horribly when i first got the game, but after implementing the aforementioned fix, it works fine. Just have to remove all apps from the bar and hard boot everytime i want to play.

And for those who don't know....The crash is more unreal engine's fault and ios 5 then the developers fault. Effeectively, every icon you have loaded in your standby bar takes up memory. In addition, ios 5 gobbles up more memory then ios 4 did. The needle that breaks the camel's back is that unreal engine is a memory hog. So basically, in ios 5 with lots of apps in the standby bar eats up a lot of memory so that people on older devices run out of memory and the game crashes.

It took Chair about 3 updates to finally fix infinity blade 2 for me, and its effectively the exact same bug. Here's hoping these developers can do it in less.

19. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Is there something wrong with ipod touch 4th gens? In this thread ive seen people post impressions from ipad2, iphone 4s, iphone 4, even a 3gs. But only complaints from ipod 4th gen owners.
    Its not the only game this seems to happen either. What is different between iphone 4 and ipod touch 4 that means that so many high end games run ok for iphone4, but not on the same specced ipod 4.
    Means a lot of 1 star reviews on itunes when a games dont work consistently on the main apple 'gaming' device, which is not a good representation of the game.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I think Mookmonster's explanation above pretty much nails it. Basically iOS 5 introduced a bunch of new functionality that is always "on" (like the slide info panel and iCloud support), and that makes less run-time memory available to applications. This not an issue with most games, but Unreal and the latest Unity engines have a heavy footprint that, if not properly optimized, put a heavy strain on the iPod Touches' 256 MB of RAM.

The only real solution is for developers to test, test, test and optimize. Hopefully the next iteration of UE will reduce the memory footprint, but in the meantime it's up to individual developers to make things work.