Universal DEMONS' SCORE - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 18, 2012.

1. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Trust me dude, I am not! Just playing a little here and there. I basically played once through Easy and Medium, then practiced a couple of times on the free mode with Astaroth in medium, played the first demon round a couple of times on Hard and here I am waiting to fight the 4th demon. In total 3 hours spent on the game (maybe less). Hardly hardcore I'd say, no?

It is just that I am new (totally NEW!) to beat games so that's why I seem to be posting and seeking a lot of advice/opinions on this thread.

I am not again saying the game is way too easy also. No way. I am "missing" a lot of taps and swipes. I can still work A LOT to get higher scores. WHat I was merely stating is that I expected to die when coming up against the bosses for the first time on Hard, and instead I can fight through with a decent amount of HP left.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I guess if you put it that way, it does make the game sound easy. Not too easy, but very forgiving.

3. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    yea its not bad pretty forgiving

4. Samhayne

Samhayne New Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Hmmm....
    I'm still confused...

So there's no benefit from buying Satan at the end?
    Just another playable char?

Still have the feeling that there's more...
    given the not real happy end after beating hard mode.

5. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    From the looks of it, yes. Also, I think its pretty much certain that there's no additional mode after hard.

6. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    I've been playing this game the most for the past few days. While there is some repetition involved, I must say that this is a very good game. Might have even sneaked into my Top 10 of the year. Great polish, great characters, great demons, great voiceacting, great cutscenes, great replay value and a decent enough story.

$20 feels wrong on many levels. Had this been anything between $4.99 and $6.99, I would easily recommend it to anyone. Discounting price, it is either a 4/5 or 4.5/5.

7. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Exact-Psience, you said earlier that since you're a musician yourself you get in tune with the game's beat and its not as hard as such.

I am not a professional musician or anything, but I am well tuned to beats as well (from drums and similar instruments). However, I don't actually feel this game has a "beat" so to say. Sure, at some point you can tap 1,2,3,4 or in a sequence hearing the beat, but is an exception rather than a norm. I don't play other rhythm games - is this normal or do other games have a more profound beat, so to say?

8. Samhayne

Samhayne New Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Indeed. I also feel that "hard" is as hard as you can make it.
    Yet, I had the immediate feeling that there is more.

Also the description reads:
    "(...)Easy, normal and hard are available. But to enjoy the entire story, you have to... ( You'll just have play to find out!)"

Maybe it's really about beating the last boss with Serenity as Serenity.
    So no demonic influence..
    So no evil choice and no semi-bad end.

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    There are syncopated beats in certain songs but they are beats that go in tune with the taps. The game extends that timing a little so it makes things a bit more forgiving. The accurate beat taps in turn give Criticals, yield higher scores and heal you for a small amount.

As for the timing and off timing (within threshold) that still registers as a hit, exists in all rhythm games. This is what makes rhythm games as such, and is the reason why some dev-claimed rhythm games cant be rhythm games coz they have that more-than-usual timing threshold that, in effect, removes the "rhythm" from the game.

10. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Either that, or I'm thinking winning Satan by using Satan.

Actually, after unlocking Satan, I feel this in itself makes the game SO MUCH harder! He's got just 0.5 def. Three mistakes in a row and you're pretty much gone. Playing with Dontalion on hard is almost easier than playing Satan on Normal.

Will be curious to see if anyone has won with Satan on Hard.

11. Samhayne

Samhayne New Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Hmm. Satan wouldn't make sooo much sense.
    Storywise and given that he's a pay char.

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It actually makes sense that you get more if you pay more... Doesnt it?

Story-wise, the game is twisted as it is so i wont be surprised if they pull a curveball on this one.

13. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Yea, that is true indeed. From the official description:

* Purchasing the game allows you to play all stages through to completion.

I think there is no more to see. But I can be very wrong. One of my New Year's resolution will be to beat Satan with Satan. :)

14. I ended up playing as Default for Track1 and Astaroth (and later Dantalion) for Track2 for Hard Mode.

I really do like Dantalion, as her outfit's not entirely outrageous, her voice is alright, and her Track1 is mellow-tetchy (though I do have trouble placing her beats; wanna say I did end up just sticking with her through the rest of Hard's T1s). Astaroth is similar, but she's a bit grandiose, even in tune.

ANYWAY, any headway on if there's a secret ending? Even at max level, I'm intimidated against using Serenity (and I'll prolly hold off on Satan's IAP until the next DLC sale; still debating Azazel, as he's the only other >$1 demon I haven't bought).

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I just bought everything (it's worth it) and i didnt find fighting Satan as difficult as i expected, but i did miss too much.

I like Satan's beats though... Wait... That doesnt sound right. :D

16. #136 TJF588, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
    Last week or so, I booted up Hard Mode...to find myself at the first track for Astaroth. Now, see, I'm preeeety sure I haven't slogged back through that, so unless Free Mode can somehow allow you to jump around in Story Mode, either I'm senile, or...

Thought: Defeating Astaroth (and possibly the rest of Hard Mode) as Serenity, foregoing the Demons' Score, will change how you approach the final stage. This considering Astaroth and David's remarks about Serenity's use of it.

I really rather doubt it, but if there IS an alternate ending, associating it to the default character would allow a player to see it without buying IAPs, and the inclusion of the better-defended Asmodeus could help to obscure it, especially with how hard Satan can be even using Astaroth or Dantalion.

Any of you already tried the above?

17. jim2011

jim2011 Member

Aug 2, 2010
    How long does it take to beat on all difficulties? I want to buy all the inapp purchases before the sale ends but there's no way to do it without progressing through the game. I also wondered if save data from someone else's game could give me access to buy everything.

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Give or take 3 to 5 hours to complete easy, medium and hard, some may require a few retires before you can get through it, but most dont.

19. jim2011

jim2011 Member

Aug 2, 2010
  20. The sale's been changed to the app only. The prices on the IAP are now their permanent prices (barring another sale). So no need to rush. If you want confirmation, check the Square Enix Members site.