iPhone Palm Heroes 2

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 4, 2011.

1. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #21 djflippy, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
    HoMMicide

This game is exceptional. For everyone out there that has been waiting for an iPad game that will rekindle that "just one more turn" feeling that you first experienced with Heroes of Might and Magic, this is that game.

If you haven't ever played a HoMM game, get this immediately. If you have, then there is no point in reviewing it, really, since everyone that cared just bought it after the first paragraph. For either camp, though, I will provide a few pointers:

• There are no obvious control issues in this version, so don't worry about it.
    • For the people new to the genre, see those sparkly goodies on the ground? Pick them up, they are items or resources, both of which come in quite handy.
    • Save often, in case you make a mistake or get an undesirable outcome in an encounter.
    • Be aware that you have multiple armies, after a certain point, and you cycle between them each turn, using the button on the upper left.
    • Don't end your turn with the hourglass button on the lower left without ensuring that all of your armies have moved.
    • When at a castle that you own, press and hold the left button to see buildings you can potentially buy. Tap on one display the purchase screen.
    • Buildings have a cool down of one turn, so ensure that you make use of them each turn (the button will reappear next turn).
    • Some elements, like the Mage tower, require you to physically be there to interact, but some do not. You can always spawn new troops, for instance.
    • Units can be purchased by tapping the button with the man on it, on the right-hand screen edge.
    • Spawned troops can stay to guard your castle or you can transfer some or all of them to a hero's army. To do this, simply tap a unit in the castle row at the bottom of the screen and tap the army row below to complete the transfer.
    • You'll accumulate one-metric-ton of gold, so make sure you are spending each turn.
    • Ending your turn on an enemy enters combat and switches to the tactical battlefield.
    • In combat, every unit from each side gets a turn and this is signified by a highlight. Black hexes show movement range. Clicking one will move the highlighted unit.
    • Tapping an enemy will attack. Melee-only units have to be adjacent, unless they possess charge. Archers, spell casters, and the like attack from range, again by tapping the enemy unit.
    • The number below a unit is the troop size, so if "one dewd" destroyed your 6 dewds, it wasn't just one: he probably had a 147 and you had a 2 on each unit.
    • Oh and before start playing, call out from work for the next day and remember to eat, IRL.
    To the developers: After being so close to a project for so long, it's hard not to focus on its misgivings and worry how it will be received when it's in the wild, so I'd like to provide you with an outside perspective. Your game owns bitches. It's sublime. It's the business. Call it whatever you like, but it's the game that a certain subset of iDevice users have been waiting for since the inception of the app store. If it was a race, you won. You got the gold. Now I'm gonna get back to getting more gold.

2. djflippy

Mar 9, 2009
    What is likely to have happened was that your unit was in the movement phase and out of range so tapping the enemy did not trigger an attack. It's possible that the unit you were trying to cast with was not the highlighted unit, therefore he could not cast.

3. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Guess when I downloaded the game this morning, there were only 9 maps.
    now I see there is a lot more, and a tutorial...

Even though I know the game from the PC, downloaded all the others and start with the Tutorial..

I got stuck with buying buildings, but had to press elsewhere, so i could built them.. was wondering where it went lol.

But it's a smart move from the Developer, giving it for Free, and paying for the maps... costed me already $10 + for all the maps :D
    but... it's worth it. it's so much better and easier now.
    Don't know how this will ever fit on a Iphone, besides scrolling like a maniac.
    This is what really needs to be played on a Ipad, and not on any other smaller format.. (think about the 1st phone, which was a pain sometimes)

a+++++++ for this one

4. djflippy

Mar 9, 2009
    If any of the current maps will not be available in the upcoming map pack, please tell us which maps they are, so we can buy some now, without regretting it later. Thanks!

5. iosoftware

iosoftware Well-Known Member

May 13, 2009
    Game Developer
    Varna
    magic guild 1 +marketplace + tavern. You must have a medium or big castle.

6. iosoftware

May 13, 2009
    Game Developer
    Varna
    LOL, in fact I was about to offer you to vote whan maps I should upgrade/improve and add first. I will not remove any maps, that's for sure.

There were mediocre and poor maps too (nothing is perfect) - even those will go for free, I don't want to throw away maps, especially those that have been done 5 years ago when the game was an alpha.

7. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    BTW how you can upgrade monsters?? You have to build first all the available units?

8. ironsam80

Dec 14, 2010
    Thanks

9. iosoftware

May 13, 2009
    Game Developer
    Varna
    unlike other classic HOMMs, you have to visit the War Academy to upgrade units.

for example, Superiority, Island, Land Bridge, Warlords have upgrades.
    You can choose between 2 upgrade variants. They are different - e.g. a pikeman is upgraded to heavy pikeman (more defense & health, but slow) or halberdier (light armor, but good attack and faster)

10. ironsam80

Dec 14, 2010
    #30 ironsam80, Apr 5, 2011
    A ha... Thanks for info.
    Maybe i am blind, but where is war academy?
    Note for developer: I think it would be helpful to see the name of of a building after i have build it. For example after i build the Jousting Arena, when i tap on this building, i can see all the details of cavaliers and i can recruit them, but i cannot see anywhere the name of the building ''Jousting Arena'', only the name of castle on top. I think that maybe this is a way to learn easily all the castles buildings and units for the newcomers to Palm Heroes universe.

11. iosoftware

May 13, 2009
    Game Developer
    Varna
    this makes the War Academy a key place on the map. And also makes upgrades very special and rare.

12. ironsam80

Dec 14, 2010
    So, you mean that this is palce that you can find randomly somewhere on the map, maybe away from your castle?

13. iosoftware

May 13, 2009
    Game Developer
    Varna
    yes the building is on the map and looks like a 17-century red tower.

14. ironsam80

Dec 14, 2010
    Thanks man.

15. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Maybe it's just me but when in combat the units seem awfully small. Other than that, great job devs! Loving this game!

16. ironsam80

Dec 14, 2010
    #36 ironsam80, Apr 5, 2011
    I agree with this. Special in big ipad's screen the battlefield looks empty with such small figures.. We could enjoy bigger character animations...

17. iosoftware

May 13, 2009
    Game Developer
    Varna
    I agree with you here. That's why we are already making them bigger. 170 creatures will take some time to make LOL

18. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Hooray! I'll look forward to when that's ready - thanks for the response!

19. ironsam80

Dec 14, 2010
    Good work guys!!!

20. ironsam80

Dec 14, 2010
    Also a small suggestion. Why don't you make more interesting grafically the main menu screen? Great visual the dragon but the one color blue background makes the first "touch" with the game a little bit poor. You can add something like the artwork you have make for the puzzle map in the game wich is great, colorful and full of the game atmosphere.