iPhone Yomi is coming to iPad!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MrMojoRisin, Apr 8, 2014.

1. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #1 MrMojoRisin, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    If you are into either card games, fighting games, or both, like I am, then you probably already have heard of a card game called Yomi. It was created by a gentleman named David Sirlin, who is, among many other things, a fighting game tournament competitor and game designer. He wanted to distill the elements of fighting games that make them so interesting and engaging, and came up with a card game called Yomi (The word Yomi is a Japanese term that refers to the "mind games" of high level fighting game play.)

Each character is a separate card deck, and uses standard "playing card" symbols, numbers, and face cards to represent that character's arsenal of moves in a way that players will remember intuitively so they can focus on learning the game's strategies and tactics. The number cards are your basic attacks, the face cards are your special attacks, and the aces are your super attacks.

The game has been available physically for a while now through http://www.sirlingames.com/ or various game retailers, and also available to play online in a compatible web browser via www.fantasystrike.com. Fantasy Strike is the name he gave to his universe of characters, which are a rich and diverse cast, and the website includes several other games with the characters that are featured in Yomi, which are also available physically as well.

Now, on April 17th, we will have the pleasure of being able to play this great and polished game on iPad.

Those of you that hate freemium money grabs will be pleased to know that for an initial $9.99, you will get all 10 of the base set characters. Then for another $9.99, you can get all 10 of the expansion characters. That's about $20 for all 20 of the characters in the game, and they all come at their full power. No gimped starter characters that you have to build up. No energy timers limiting your chances to practice and get good at the game. None of that.

Speaking of practicing, there will be two AI difficulties available for offline play against the CPU, an Easy one for practice and learning your characters, and a Hard one for a real challenge, where the card game equivalent of "button mashing" is sure to get you a loss. There will also be several online modes, which will also allow you to cross-play against players of the fantasystrike.com web version.

And you might think $20 is a lot for an iPad game, but the prices are VERY fair compared to how much you will pay for these characters for play on their website. The only downside is that even if you have already bought all the characters on fantasystrike.com, you still need to purchase them again for the iPad app, although you can link your account to keep track of your wins and profile on both formats.

I can't stress enough how much work (design, playtesting, balancing, rebalancing) has been put into Yomi already, and now we get to enjoy the fruits of that effort come April 17th!

Feature list:
    •All 10 characters from the Yomi base game
    •Additional 10 character expansion bundle unlock-able via one-time IAP
    •Competitive ranked matchmaking online
    •Cross platform play with FantasyStrike.com
    •Wins and replays carry over from FantasyStrike.com
    •Offline play with 2 difficulty settings
    •Endless survival mode
    •Leaderboards
    •Save replays of your games
    •Watch the games of your favorite players, even top leaderboard players

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Looks interesting. I hope the combat is good. :)

3. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    #3 MrMojoRisin, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    Far from it! :) It's an actual "traditional" card game where you are dealt cards and play them out. In this game, each player simultaneously chooses what card to play, then the card type that has priority (based on a RPS style system) takes effect. Sounds simple, but so do basic fighting game mechanics. The depth lies in the "Yomi" factor, or mind game element.

See this chart:
    [​IMG]

If you have a really powerful attack to play, then you would just play it, right? Not so fast. If the other player anticipates that you will play that attack (they know it's coming eventually, just not when), they can just play a block or dodge, right? Not so fast again! You anticipate their anticipation, so you play a throw to beat their block or dodge. Of course if you play that throw and they play their attack, then it will get through anyway. :)

And there is a lot more to it than that. There are combos, special moves, supers. Not to mention that each character is balanced with their own individual strengths and weaknesses.

If you have a computer, you can check it out on fantasystrike.com. There is always a character (it rotates) that is totally free to play as in the web version.

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    My favorite competitive (full tournament) game. It reminds me of Summoner Wars in that they are both fantastic games that are simple to understand, hard to master, and decks are all varied yet incredibly well balanced. My main issue with both games is that it's hard to find players to practice against.

With AI and online multiplayer I can play all the time. Though a universal update would be ce down the road...

5. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    This game appeals to me faaaaaaar more than SW ever could. Maybe because I am a lot more into fighting games that war games, and while SW is a war game in card form, Yomi is a fighting game in card form. It really is a fantastic game. Let's hope this app does it the justice it deserves. I think it is going to, personally.

6. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Two more days!

7. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Can't wait!!!!!

8. thedemographic

thedemographic Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    I'm really looking forward to this on the iPad. I wasn't familiar with the game before the ipad date was announced, but after a few games on Fantasy Strike, I'm hooked. The only question for me is whether to buy the expansion characters as well.

9. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    I will buy the extension. That's cheaper than the physical version. Plus, each of the characters has its own weaknesses and strengths. I want to play with each of them.
    I am getting impatient hahaha