Space Tàu (iOS super pixellated shmup)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Phi6, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    #1 Phi6, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2012
    So I've been working on this small game for a couple of months now, it is basically your R-Type inspired retro shmup for the iPhone. At the moment I am focusing on epic boss battles.

Pretty happy with the general gameplay so far, but I still need to add some structure to the levels and also implement the boring stuff (menus, achievements etc..)

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Early Boss Trailer:

My question to you guys:
    What do you think of modern bullet hell games? In my opinion they look very pretty but everything is scripted so it is much more of a memory game. With mine there is a lot of random behaviour and AI that reacts to the player. Also enemy spawns are random, so the emphasis is more skill based (I hope!)... every encounter is unique.

And I have yet to determine what the final boss will be :)

2. RobotUnicorn

RobotUnicorn Active Member

Mar 27, 2011
    wow this looks good

3. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Thanks very much :)
    I am working hard to hopefully get this out in a month...

4. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Looks pretty good. Old school like on a green monochromatic monitor from 30 years ago.

5. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Curiosity Piqued x Infinity

6. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Game looks great, looking forward to another randomly generated bullet-hell (Phoenix would be another good example).

And to answer your question, I think we're leaving out two key points:

1. Modern bullet-hell shmups like those made by CAVE have both set and random patterns. The mix set curtains of bullets with some that are sprayed randomly at you.

2. A lot of modern bullet-hell draw a lot of their replay value from score chasing. With the same patterns of bullets, everyone stands on even ground instead of leaving scoring potential up to chance. Also, there is usually some complicated scoring mechanic that is both easy to understand and difficult to master.

7. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Hmm, thanks for your reply! Looks like I will need to play the more modern ones from CAVE a bit more. To be honest I grew up with the older games like Tyrian, R-Type, Xenon, Arrow Flash etc.

8. Goose

Goose Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    This just makes me sad. I miss my Gameboy. I will have this game.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Same here. It looks great. Instant purchase for me!