Universal DARIUSBURST SP [by TAITO]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    IMO, the few high prices SHMUPs on iOS are generally worth it, if you will be playing on an iPad or iCade. I'll be the first to admit I'm a pretty lousy player, but anyone who can post a half decent score using an iPhone or iPod must be super-human, IMO.

Another thing-there will always be premium priced SHUMPs being released. They have a hardcore fan base, just like with fighting games or grognard level military strategy games. I remember shooters still being released for the Dreamcast 3 or so years after the Dreamcast was drop longer being sold. Probably longer.

2. Poly

Poly Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    This is fabulous game. Game music is nice.

3. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    #203 GasparZizou, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
    ok, i think here i'm gonna sound dumb for you, but i don't own the game, how much different can it be from the other 10 shumps i own?

now, it's IAP not DLC, the whole content is IN the game, IAP works for virtual "currency" for lazy people like cheats and buy lets say "guns", the IAP has nothing to do with the fact that the quality of the games i've mentioned is higher that any shump i've played before, and i've payed $10 for a shump before, not doing it again, there was a time that i was craving for shumps.

i mean, i understand that price for Final Fantasy OR GTA CTW or those ports, but i really don't get the price for these games, different tastes you said, i was just expressing my opinion :)

PS: will check dariusbust, you make it sound quite a thing.

PS2: ok i checked some videos on Darius burst, now, this may sound offensive to shump fans, graphic-wise, VERY below any of the games i've mentioned, gameplay: the same as any other shump: avoiding bullets while aiming cause you automatically fire, that's about it, price for hardcore fans? it's like selling $10 potatoes just for hard core boiled potato fans to pay the price and keep the rest from eating potatoes, is that what you're saying? i guess i'm not a shump person after all.

Again, the whole thing is just my opinion.

4. geremy

geremy Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Not trying to be mean but you should stop talking now. You're obviously not that into shmups, but the better ones have fairly advanced scoring systems that make them more compelling to play. Dariusburst is one of the simpler ones but still mighty nice once you get the hang of building the multiplier.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Fair enough you dont like it, when this came out 3 years ago on the PSP i used to love playing it on my friends PSP. I'm just happy i've now got the chance to have this game on my ipod forever.

Some people are anti-Cave shooters, other people hate platformers. Sorry to hear you dont like this but i would just 'move on'. I know the graphics dont look perfect to some people but again this games a few years old, its like someone moaning about a Commodore 64 game looking terrible.

I'm happy i've got a copy of this game on my device. Think its a game for fans of the original for sure.

6. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    @GasparZizou: NO ONE forces you to buy this game.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

If you don't think it's worth the price, don't buy it.

If you think it's crap, don't buy it.

Stop whinging just because you haven't got enough money but want to collect every game.

The fact that you said "gameplay: the same as any other shump: avoiding bullets while aiming cause you automatically fire, that's about it" shows you don't know what you're talking about. You're not into the genre, so why bother? Stick with the 99c poor man's CAVE wannabe craps.

Look at it this way: If you don't appreciate good food, don't whine that some restaurants charge $200 / meal. It's just the same as KFC: It makes you full, then several hours later goes out as poop.

7. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Yes, and considering you still have never actually played this game, and by your silly comments I can tell you know nothing about shmups, I'm wondering why you chose to share it.

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yikes! Came here yesterday just to say I finally got the game and didn't expect to come back and see a flame war.

This game is definately on the level of Cave shooters and, along with several Cave titles and Space Tripper, would be in my list of the best shmups on the App Store.

Considering a quick search for the PSP version shows, pre-owned copies going for as much as $85. I think it's quite a bargain.

Anyway, just my two cents. Shumps are a very specialized category -- and particularly very difficult ones -- probably wouldn't sell enough at a lower price point to earn money.

9. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    we already decided that cave games are very different subgenre of shmups and you can not really compare this game with them, you can also ask syntheticvoid if you dont believe me. ;)

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Just like platformers i love the variety i have in shoot em ups on iOS. I hadnt played any Cave shooters before iOS, love those, i'm not a fanatic though and dont know every single in and out, just love playing them from time to time.

DariusBurst has a bit of 'old skool' feel to it with the graphics. Theres plenty of others as well, such as Space Tripper which i really like. And of course i can have a blast of a classic like R-Type if i feel like it as well

Most offer something slightly different, they're all great to play and again having the ability to have all of these on my ipod is brilliant.

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Well, I guess I have a bit broader definition of shmups. I agree, they are different, the Cave games are more bullet-hell in nature. But it's still all about dodging bullets/enemies no matter how you look at it.

Some people put DSS games in the shmup category (and probably could be considered as such). But to me the scrolling games whether you're navigating through bullets or enemies, you're still shooting 'em up. Space Tripper is arena style so you'd have to question whether that's a shump as well.

Anyway, I think it's nearly impossible to have one definitive decision on what is and isn't a "shmup".

In any case, my comparision wasn't just merely on gameplay, but also on the fact that you're buying a game IMO that's on-par with the quality of Cave games. And is a niche market so don't think the game would have ever succeeded enough to break even at a low pirce point.

12. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    #212 GasparZizou, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
    if you can't handle an opinion kid this is not the place for you.

and you analogy is incorrect, your comparing this to a $200 meal when in fact you're paying $200 for KFC, that is MY point of view and you just have to deal with it k? attaboy.

so, look at it THAT way, k? alright bye.

13. GasparZizou

Dec 30, 2010
    Guadalajara
    i am sorry if i started a flame war, i really didn't mean to, i was just expressing my opinion with respect, since i've 10 different Bullet hell shooters and i've payed $10 for 2 of them and i realized they're mostly the same game with different skins in MY perception.

i'm glad you enjoy it anyway.

14. Well, to me, that is the refreshing aspect of Dariusburst. I like many of the others here seem to think that the top Universal apps are some cave games, Dariusburst, and Space Tripper.

While there are numerous games that are good, some people say that all cave games are similar bullet hell shmups. So many times, people lump them together due to the similarities in their games.

But Dariusburst plays alot different in that the game is more of a conventional shmup not bullet hell, has much larger bosses, and has a more unique weapon upgrade system.

It is also side scrolling which is nice since we don't have too many of them around. The graphics also have more of a 3d effect, and the music is as thumping as any cave game out there.

While I would probably favor cave a little bit over this game, it still holds its own, and I'm sure there are many that would prefer this to games like Dodonpachi Resurrection or Bug Princess 2.

Space Tripper too is refreshing in that it is different from any cave game. I hope there are more awesome universal shmups in the future. I think when there are around 10 elite titles other than cave titles, prices will go down. I would like to see a price point of around $7 or so, so that more players could gain access to these games and more games would be developed.

Until then cave kind of has a monopoly, but I don't think it will last forever. Sometime soon I think someone will come out with a game that blows out any cave game or dariusburst for that matter, with a somewhat lower price point.

Anyway, Dariusburst is a great game, and I am happy that I bought it. I urge you to give it a try sometime, too bad there's no lite version. They really need one.

15. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Simplicity breeds similarity. There isn't too large a fundamental difference between the first SMB and Castlevania, for example. That said, this is one reason why I took all but three Cave games out of circulation, one of which is Bug Panic, which is a lot different from the rest of the line-up. I'm kind of OCD about what I make available to myself, so I understand the issue with redundancy. In fact, the glut of endless runners got so frustrating to me that I don't even have one of them on my phone anymore. I haven't actually bought this game yet, but I do have to say there's a lack of good left-to-right shooters on the platform and when my usual cycle of score-based games starts to get a bit stale, there is no question I will get this. Space Tripper is excellent, but it's more of an arena game--certainly not a bullet hell either--and Death Smiles' implementation of switching directions doesn't translate as well to the platform controls as linear shooters do.

What makes you think this would be worse than the other 10 dollar shooters you purchased?

16. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    And Phoenix HD Royce. I think that competes with most shooters I've played in general. But yeah, there is only one Darius.

17. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Man, I was just about to hit the buy button on this (finally, got some extra money to devote to some more expensive iOS games) and I read that they used ellipses for the title of the game on the icon. UGH!!! Can anyone confirm this? I absolutely despise this practice. I heard it is 'Dari...urst.'

Is Darius SP really that hard to use?

18. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    On the iPad it's "DARIUSBURST", but on iPhone it's "DARI...URST" unfortunately.

19. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    THAT is a SIN.

20. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #220 SumoSplash, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
    Well, I'm still going to buy it (obviously) but here are my requests to Taito:

-Make the iPhone icon title fit the space. 'Darius SP' would be perfect. I guess since it is Universal it would be harder to change the title just for the iPhone. However, 'Darius SP' would be more accurate since this version is indigenous to iOS, thus highlighting 'SP' in the title.

-I heard there is no flip screen. That should be added.

-Retina. Even though I doubt this will happen, it can't hurt to request it.