iOS 7 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Jacob007, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    #1 Jacob007, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
    This thread is for iOS 7, showcased at WWDC today. One of the most notable features is the completely new, flatter design. Along with the new design, there's the new Control Center, automatic updates, Siri improvements, better multitasking, and more. What are you looking forward to? Will you even update?

See more at: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/

2. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    Yes, I will update. Honestly, I might even consider reactivating my developer account to get the iPad beta when it hits in a few weeks.

I am really digging the new design. I'm not a big fan of skeuomorphism, so I am happy to see it pulled out of the OS. I like the new style of the app switcher, very Auxo for iPad-like (makes me wish I had kept my iPad jailbroken just for that one app). I like the control center, though I hope they consider adding a toggle for the cellular radios (I have 3G on all the time, but I like only having LTE on only when I need it).

Even some of the minor stuff makes me happy: iCloud Keychain (the benefits of lastpass without having to use a slow, 3rd party browser), notification sync (as someone who uses the iPad primarily, it annoys me to come back to my phone that has pages full of notifications), official game controller support [how has that been missed so far here!], push updates, a no-ads option in iTunes Radio that ties into the Match subscription I already pay for.

3. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    I'm looking forward to the new design, too, it looks much more modern, easier to navigate, and all around more appealing. I also like Control Center and the Siri improvements (yay for a male gender!). I'm not sure if its been confirmed, but I hope automatic updates can be toggled on/off, I don't want my favorite app to automatically be updated with a bugged version. Anyways, this is probably the first iOS I'm excited for.

4. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    No, I can't . iPod touch 4 not supported.
    New device soon hopefully

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I haven't quite caught up with everything but I like the features so far. I just don't like the new color scheme and how... Flat everything seems to be.

I like my icons pretty and multicolored and glossy and textured. The new stuff reminds me of Windows 8 tiles and that Maps icon? Ew.
    Then there are the pencil thin lines they're pushing for everything, the clock on the lock screen being the most annoying...

Basically: love the features, hate the design/look.

6. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Was looking for something that might draw me back to Apple, but there was nothing I can't do now or more. Touting auto updates as a big feature? Only downloading what can be updated instead of a whole app would have been better (something I can do on most apps with Android.)

The design is all over the place but all of it-the new icons aside-looks nice.

For those using iOS on a regular basis it's a great update I was expecting more. Even being able to use 3rd party keyboards would have been killer.

7. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
  8. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Gutted that I can't use the airdrop feature because of WiFi limitations! So stupid!

However, I'm not really sure of the benefit of that over iMessaging the person instead!?

9. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Same here. I felt that Windows 8 vibe, too.

I dunno what I think about this so far. It's gonna take me a long while to get used to the new design, though.

10. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I'm a fan of flat design. It all looks awesome to me. I'm not a fan of the icon colours but besides that it all looks pretty sexy

11. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    I like it in some areas, and not so much in others. My current device can't get it and I'm okay with that. I don't think I'll have a choice when I get either the new mini or iPad 5 later on, and I imagine both would start out at iOS 7.

12. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Cool that the auto app update feature is optional

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Where did you hear that? If it's true that's a relief.

14. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    From Appadvice
    "For the first time, app updates will be performed automatically. This feature, which sounds promising in practice, could cause some problems the next time a third-party developer releases an app with a bug. Luckily, this feature is optional."

Apparently there are also a few 3rd party controllers roaming around the expo for the next week.
    Madfinger take notice!

15. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I think it's about time Apple changed things a bit, it looks promising not quite enough to make me run out and buy an iphone but I'm more interested than I was.

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    What kind of optional though? "Only download when connected to WiFi" would be ideal for me.

17. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Yeah I think that's really valid. It just makes those of us who stuck with Apple stop perving on the competition

18. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Should all come out this week I guess

19. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet

No were gonna wait for IOS 20 because IOS 7 is terrible.

It looks great, and they even have a camera timer now. I think.

20. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    I like much of the functional UI changes and the flat design, but does anyone else feel it is a bit too rainbow like. Feels like a cheaper, more childish color scheme and icon design. Hopefully it might be better with some darker wallpapers.