Two App Stores...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ktfright, Oct 11, 2009.

1. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
  2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Screw App Store A.

3. blt3d

blt3d Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    President/Lead Designer
    Florida
    Too bad Apple will probably never let this happen. It would "confuse" users :D

4. PocketMonkey

PocketMonkey Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Interesting.

I thought Ramp Champ was more successful than that.

5. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Yeah, I thought that Ramp Champ was pretty successful.

6. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    They broke into the top games if I remember correctly but I guess they did not reach their quota.

7. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Yeah I just read that too. It's an excellent analysis of the current state of the App Store. Well worth a read for anyone who is in the process of making games. Make sure you target one or the other, not both.

8. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
  9. bossman696

bossman696 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Graphic Designer, Commercial Printer
    Alabama
    Very Interesting Read..

I found it very interesting and informative. Although a lot of the people that complain about low sales had big expectations, the games or APPs they produced didn't (IMO) reflect that expectation.

I too had big expectations and have seen pretty consistent sales given that my game only has one level. I might be disappointed once the additional levels are added and sales don't increase at least by some margin.. but as it stands I'm pretty happy with the games progress. I figured if I could sale to just 1 percent of the potential users of Apple's devices, that would be a pretty penny for the home developer.

10. marc-bjango

marc-bjango Active Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Lead Designer & Director at Bjango
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yep. Agree with this.

If you want to succeed, then be careful how you spend your time and money. Also, I think some iPhone devs are looking at the App Store as a get rich quick scheme. Good luck to them, but if they don't have a background in software development, then they might be entering a market that they don't know enough about.

Here's something I wrote on the topic: Gold digging on the App Store

We're finding that selling your apps cheap can be great, provided two things: 1. Your apps are actually good. 2. You don't spend a stupid amount of money developing them (this is easy if you're coding and designing yourself).

11. bcgflow

bcgflow Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Couldn't agree more!

12. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Ooh you're Bjango! I read that blog post a while ago, and just wanted to tell you that I agree with every word. Preach on!

13. Pretty good article. Interesting that racing has become an over-saturated genre. 6 months ago, I recall reading an article that said it was underpopulated and needed games. Amazing how quick things turn around in this market.

Personally, I'm not sure what the right strategy is. Currently, I try to come up with a single base (say chess or retro racing) and produce multiple products for it. It's worked ok, but honestly with all the iPhone competition, I'm starting to think multiplatform on top of multi-release might be a better way to earn some money.