Moon Boing - 3D Platformer now accepting beta-testers

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by SpaceHat, Dec 2, 2013.

1. SpaceHat

SpaceHat Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Video games developer and sole trader
    #1 SpaceHat, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    UPDATE: This Beta Test is now closed. Many, many thanks to everyone who got involved! You can now play Moon Boing for free (with a one-off unlock to continue past stage 12) by clicking here.

I'm very happy to announce that Moon Boing, an upcoming game for iOS and Android systems, is ready for beta testers to get bouncing around in.

Moon Boing?
    A 3D platform game where you guide an astronaut on a moonwalking voyage of discovery. Hop, powerspring, avoid, time and tractor beam your way through challenging courses as you attempt to reach and uncover the secrets of a mysterious, possibly living floating statue.

Okeydokey. Where Do I Sign Up?
    Awesome! Here.

Maaaaybe. Show me!
    Sure!

Dead simple controls and a gentle learning curve: easy to learn...
    [​IMG]

...but stick around for the spinning blocks and mines, and you'll uncover a real challenge!
    [​IMG]

Luscious Comic Sequences
    [​IMG]

Tricky Tractor Beams
    [​IMG]

Things that explode... don't let one of those things be you!
    [​IMG]

Any more details?
    • - Available on iPhone 3GS and up
    • - Unique gameplay - nothing like this on any mobile known to man (I think. Let me know if I'm wrong :) )
    • - Old-style shareware-kinda model - try for free, then pay a modest sum to unlock the whole game
    • - Looks like a fun platformer, plays like a fun platformer - until you get to know the jetpack momentum system and learn how to triple-star each level like a boss!
    • - Release will be in time for Christmas
    • - Android and Amazon Store versions to come soon

I'll be happy to provide more information. You can also check out the Moon Boing website.

I look forward to checking out your feedback and seeing what your experiences are!

Cheers,

Kevin

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Applied for Beta. This looks great.

Im assuming the controls is a movement slider at the left and a jump button at the right?

3. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Applied for Beta:D

4. SpaceHat

SpaceHat Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Thanks Exact-Psience and ip4weather!

I'm not really allowed to say, my manager (me) says I should see if players figure it out for themselves :)

5. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Wow, great job guys! I'm really having a good time with this!

The controls were weird at first but I quickly adjusted to them. Plus there's that sensitivity slider which is nice (I didn't need it, but I'm sure others might)

The complexity of the levels ramps up quick which I really like, as it keeps things from getting boring.

I think the mechanic is a great way to put 3D puzzle plat forming onto iOS and it's works really well and it's really fun!

I think the story is a really nice touch as well

I did notice this little subtitle glitch/bug where the "Aaaaah!" Would appear and disappear at short intervals over the correct text for that screen, which stayed always, just as it should.

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Aaaaand here's an image

Attached Files:

7. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    game is great ,i am on level 3 now and can't stop :)

8. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Applied for the beta, game looks awesome!

Hope I'm not too late!

9. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Applied and received :)

Great job! Controls work perfectly; as the poster said, took a level or two to adjust but now I'm fine. Nice art style and the levels ramp up fast. Cant wait to see what other inventive hazards await

One little thing I find weird: three collectibles for two stars? Actually I think a cool challenge would be trying to land at the center of the exit area (like hitting a dart board) for a third star. So collect all orbs for one, bounce par for two, land at center for three

10. SpaceHat

SpaceHat Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    skeletonlord - no, you're not too late :) I'll set you up tomorrow first thing.

Thanks for your great feedback so far. I'll look into the issues you've found so far. Happy with all the positivity :) But critique is more than welcome too.

Bronxsta - It may be a bit too late to re-devise the star system, though I'm glad you pointed it out anyway. I think a dartboard-style 'aim for the middle' platform thingy may be a great thing to implement in a future update. I'll think on that.

11. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Late to the party ? Applied too.
    Looks right up my alley.

12. SpaceHat

SpaceHat Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Not late at all :) I'll add you on the morrow.

13. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Hopping aboard :D

14. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Signed up- I really like platformers, looking forward to this one.

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Like the rest of the testers here so far, i like it.

Some things i want to bring up...

Maybe at start, dont bounce right away. Let the character stay on the ground while the player is allowed to rotate to view the surroundings. Then, tapping the boost button will start his jumps.

This would allow the player to plan an initial pathing, and will not get him off guard at the start of each stage. Thoughts?

Also, i think it'd be great if zoomed out a little bit... Especially when looking for that ledge to grab on to and vault over.

Other than that, it's a unique platformer that im enjoying.

16. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    Joining, I love 3D platformers and would love to try this.

17. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Thanks for the testflight download - I will start playing later today.

18. SpaceHat

SpaceHat Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Great stuff! I've added all the newest recruits. Look out for the email from Testflight showing you how to load the game onto your device, and one from me with the iTunes test codes, which are needed if you want to unlock the whole game. I hope you don't mind but I'll need to double up the test accounts. All that means is, if someone else using the same account purchased the unlock already, you'll be told that when you try to buy the unlock. It'll still unlock the rest of the game though.

Exact-Psience - Interesting point about giving the player time to look around before starting the game proper. Not sure if I'll get that in before first launch, but even if not it can appear in an update too.

What do y'all think about the current cam zoom distance?

19. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Thanks Nolan, i'm in.
    Just played four levels and my initial thoughts were...

Zoom out a bit, definitely (now i see the landing shadow to late)
    Don't waist my jumps after entering a new level (start the counter after
    boosting the first time ?)
    This won't be your app icon, i hope

I really like the rest, and just saying, tilt controls work perfect for me.
    (Reminded me of 'Crazy Hedgy' how they work) and i didn't even try out
    the swipe controls, yet.

Keep up your good work Devs !

20. Mary2124

Mary2124 Member

Jun 27, 2013
    #20 Mary2124, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    First of all, I'm loving this game. I agree with the others about zooming out. I'm using the swipe controls and love that you can change the sensitivity of them. I also love the fact that when you are going over the edge you can turn and boost yourself back onto the platform if you catch it in time. Great work!

Are we going to be able to flip the orientation of the game when it's final? I have my Ipad in a case and having the home button on the right is a bit uncomfortable. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but it would be nice.