iPhone Elder Sign: Omens HD By Fantasy Flight Games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Nov 3, 2011.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Great find, VTnT!

2. Thorwan

Thorwan Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Nice, can't wait :)

3. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I always wondered why they never included all the "elder gods" from the board game. Even as IAP, I don't mind, it just seemed like it was something that should have been out for the game a while ago rather than now after the game has been out for so e good amount of time! In any case that has always been the deciding factor on me picking up this game! They had mentioned the possibility of the other EG being included in the game, but it almost seemed as if it was never coming so I never jumped on buying it despite wanting it. This news is finally a scale tipper... Will buy this payday!

I look forward to seeing how it condenses and reimagines the board game! Now if only FFG would make some of their other board games into apps! I would pay the soul of a kitten for a travel version of Runebound for my iPad, or some of their other board games!

Blogfest, I know...

4. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It sounds like it still won't be like the real card game in which the EG is picked at random. You will know, depending on your campaign choice, who you're up against.

5. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Awesome. I had a lot of fun with this game and wore it a little thin. I'll happily pay for some new content to spice things up.

6. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    I need to grab this one tonight -- in a board game mood. Does it have some kind of starting tutorial, or well explained instructions? Or is it like Ghost Stories which has you scratching your head from the start? Thanks!

7. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #47 LordGek, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
    I can't recall if there was much of a tutorial but, while in many ways the same basic idea as Ghost Stories, I found it a lot easier to follow.

One big trick I learned, however, is more is not always better in this game as I had a lot more luck defeating the game with two investigators than four. While a full force of four investigators ensures you more coverage and variety of cool skills, it also means the game's Dooms Day Clock ticks spins much faster. With 2 investigators I had somebody to back me up if things got tricky (hopefully) but still had the baddies spawning at a reasonable pace. It also, as not a great micro manager, made logistics a bit simpler so I didn't have to keep wondering what each investigator was attempting to do (I know I wanted this investigator to drop buy the Gift Shop for something last turn...but what was it?).

8. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I didn't notice anywhere in the provided link an actual date this very generous update is being released? I for one cannot wait for it, nor the iap.

9. Rarak

Rarak Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Easier than the orginal? After a few play throughs that was too easy too.. I guess this is aimed at new players rather than the existing player base..

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Picked it up cause I was too excited about the update with Cthulhu (even though it's IAP) and won my very first game! :)

It was a narrow victory but I'll take it

11. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    It's looks complicated, but it isn't really. There are tutorial videos, but reading the rules will clear up most of your questions. After (losing) your first game, you're ready to go ;)

12. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Update out!

Added iap additions and what looks like a generous amount of other things. :D

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeps!

So there are now 3 Game Modes.

-A new free EASIER (Normal Difficulty) mode, Yig's Anger (only 10 elder signs to put him down).
    -The original mode (Hard Difficulty).
    -A new harder mode (Very Hard Difficulty) mode against Cthulu himself!

If I get it right, to unlock the new Cthulu mode, 4 new investigators (with a hidden 5th unlocked once you beat the Cthulu mode), and 30 new encounters you'll need to fork out $2.99 via the IAP.

I grabbed the Cthulu expansion and can verify it IS nasty! While it would appear once unlocked the new investigators can be used in any mode, I'm not sure if the new encounters can appear in all modes if unlocked.

14. Riggy

Riggy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    There is also a free locked investigator that you can get if you beat the original (now Hard) mode. Haven't done it yet. The new "Easy" mode is very easy, I beat it first time no problems. I'm looking forward to trying out the IAP stuff soon.

15. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Finally sealed away Cthulhu after about 6 tries and I just have to say that the ending was the most anti climactic ending ever :(

16. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    ....compare to EoB1? :)

Even without a price drop in sight, I am still very tempted to get this...

17. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    What is EoB1 again?

I love it and think the closest comparison would be Ghost Stories. It is very much that same basic cooperative game with 1-4 agents (all played by you or perhaps a nearby pal on a single device), each with their own unique special powers, taking out baddies by getting the mission's required dice rolls in your encounter. I love the game's some 20+ different agents (each with completely unique stats and special abilities), wide variety of helper items, and, most importantly, a myriad of different encounters to work through (each posing unique challenges by what is required to defeat them, what you can gain if you clear them, and lastly, what is at stake if you fail the encounter). Also, different from Ghost Stories, this game all but does away with any sort of real game board navigation. On your turn you are free to take on any of the game's currently available missions with all of their details right out in the open to examine. While they are listed by different little push pins spread throughout a map of the museum, their actual locations in the building has no relevance.

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Hey Gang,

I really like the game's detailed scoring but wonder if it makes sense to have all 3 campaigns on a single scoreboard? Do successfully completed Cthulu games tend to rank higher than successful Yig games (as they should due to the much greater difficulty)? The fact that a Cthulu game is longer it should allow a higher potential, but I have no clue if this would REALLY be the case.

19. Jools75

Jools75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Secret Agent :-)
    Italy
    Played few games, won Yig campaign multiple times, the Chtulhu one still haven't tried (bought it, but I'm limiting myself on beating the Azatoth campaign before playing the last), and all I can say... Three failed Azatoth campaigns are placed in 2,3,4th place on my scoreboard, while at first place (with a difference of "only" 150 points) stay one of the various successful Yig campaign. Keep in mind that all my Yig winnings are always with all 4 investigators alive.

That's just a brief info, but because these, I think scores are increasing a little when you're playing a much harder campaign. Must check carefully the final score breakdown next time I play, since many points are subject to a specific multiplier.

OT: I am a huge fan of Arkham Horror, tonight I'm hosting the weekly session with my playing group! :)

20. etonblue

etonblue Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    The fight against Cthulhu illustrates why I wish this game was less luck and more skill based. I've gotten to Cthulhu with a good chance to win (e.g., all skills unlocked), 3 times so far without success; but the last try almost made me want to toss my iPad (into a pile of soft pillows) in disgust.

I made it to Ryleh (with a completed amulet) with one character, Jenny Barnes, who had several yellow/red glyphs, two "hold" glyph cards and SIX! rerolls. Got two scrolls and two skulls on the first roll. Cleared part one (the two scrolls) and "held" the two skulls for part three. On my second roll, I got a red wildcard, which I held with Jenny. At that point I had three free glyphs (not counting the locked wild and 2 locked skulls). I proceeded to roll 8 more times (6 with 3 glyphs, and once each with 2 and 1 glyph) without getting a single terror. Seriously!? How much better can I play the final encounter??