Is porting to Apple TV worth?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by 8bitmfker, Oct 8, 2015.

1. 8bitmfker

8bitmfker Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Poland
    I've got this Apple TV Developer Kit and trying to prepare one of my iOS game for the device release day. What do you guys think about that, is it worth doing? Do you think enough people would buy this device so we can earn something? I've seen lots of devs asking about tvOS development on forums but I havn't seen big interest on gaming sites. I'm worried that I'm wasting my time ...again.

2. RareSloth

RareSloth Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I guess it would depend on the kind of game and amount of effort it required. There probably is some benefit for being an early adopter... That being said I don't personally see Apple TV gaining mass adoption in the immediate future.

3. SpiritBomb Studios

SpiritBomb Studios Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Game Developer
    Saigon, Vietnam
    I'm interested in tvOS and I have a few ideas for it.
    Sadly my country is not eligible for the dev-kit program so I couldn't get one.
    After some time trying it, could you describe how the remote control works? Is it precise enough for gaming?

4. 8bitmfker

8bitmfker Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Poland
    I think that I can't say anything about the Dev Kit (in public) before release date. This was a part of the agreement but I can test your game/app via TestFlight if you want some feedback.

5. SpiritBomb Studios

SpiritBomb Studios Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Game Developer
    Saigon, Vietnam
    Thanks for your kindness, but I don't have plan to port my existing games
    I want to make new games that target tvOS specifically.
    At least I'd need to know how the controller works before starting development.