Universal Polara - (by Hope This Works)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Platyrrhine, Oct 10, 2012.

1. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Agree, you should do that... at all costs. That always peaks my interest

2. HTWGames

HTWGames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    I don't know what to say everyone. We've got a lot of praise here, some of the media out there that have tried the game have really enjoyed it. We've received awards and nods from major sites like TouchArcade, 148apps, Modojo, Wired, etc. etc. and yet people won't talk about, repsond to, or will give this game a shot.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. For a buck, even to see if the hype is worth it shouldn't be that big of a leap of faith. But for all the positivity surrounding this title, why are we barely treading water over here? Anyone have any suggestions?

3. speed4mee

speed4mee Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    #343 speed4mee, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    SlideToPlay is a well known review site, but they didn't reviewed Polara :(

4. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    I know, and we've contacted them a few times to NO response. I know they have an onslaught of titles coming in and are busy and all the other excuses that come with it, but to avoid a free-runner that tried something different and did it WELL is just ridiculous. I'm going to post a list of all our of reviews soon and you can see how well this game was received.

Most of the reviewers had tiny nit picking things that had to do with production, but when it's an indie title, I don't see a number of people hammering things like Hotline Miami which doesn't have the BEST graphics either.

I'm really not understanding this. I can accept failure haha but not when people are enjoying something. What is this Mall Rats? ;)

5. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Some of our Reviews - Scores and Quotes

Here's some of the reviews we've been getting. Just to reassure anyone looking to try our game out :)

Metacritic:
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/polara

Score: 83

Touch Arcade:
    http://toucharcade.com/2012/10/17/polara-review/

Score: 4.5/5
    "There are plenty of reasons to recommend Polara, but the one that takes it past the tipping point is the sheer volume of quality content."

148apps.com
    http://www.148apps.com/reviews/polara-review/

Score: Editor's Choice 4.5/5

"With Polara, players are also arguably getting two games in one. After completing each stage, a separate goal emerges: the collection of the titular letters and a special medallion. The position of each letter cleverly rewires the way players are required to jump, switch colors, and evaluate timing. Meanwhile, perfectionists will be enticed by the pursuit of “flawless,” no-death runs. All told, Hope This Works shows that ingenuity in design trumps superfluous achievements every time."

Modojo:
    http://www.modojo.com/reviews/ipad/polara/

Score: 4.5/5
    "Polara takes a good hard look at the flood of games released in the wake of Jetpack Joyride and Temple Run, and sees them for the lazy cash-ins they invariably are. There's not an upgrade in sight and no in-app cash store, just an honest dollar for an honest game."

TUAW:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2012/10/15/daily-iphone-app-polara-switches-up-the-endless-runner-genre/

Score: 5/5
    "At first, the game is simple -- just asking you to flip back and forth every so often. But very quickly, it requires you to switch between moving targets and sometimes asks you to match up with alternately-colored platforms. Things can get fiendishly difficult right away."

Gamezebo:
    http://www.gamezebo.com/games/polara/review

Score: 4/5
    "The gameplay elements are really solid. The on-the-fly puzzle feeling is well thought-out, levels are put together perfectly, and the game manages action and strategy well."

Appspy:
    http://www.appspy.com/polara-review

Score:4/5
    "Polara could easily have fallen apart thanks to its mixed-bag approach to smashing together 'endless runner' concepts we've seen before, but instead it seamlessly stitches blends them together and turns it in to an engrossing challenge."

6. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Mate, this is the mysteries of the world. I think you just have to give it some time. But yeah, funny because my I asked my cousin to play it and two other friends, they were not interested in this, at all...rather play Temple Run. Even when I told them this is the best game I've played all year long.

7. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Just posted 8 codes in the code giveaway forum... just sayin' ;) ;)

8. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
  9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    lol! :)

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Just downloaded an update for Polara... But it didnt have a description. Im currently at v1.1.

11. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    That's odd... Apple won't approve updates if they don't have descriptions as far as I know.

In the itunes store I'm seeing "iPhone 5 Support!", did you not see that? Otherwise I don't know what the problem is...maybe the store hasn't fully refreshed or something but it's there.

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup... description's there now, but it wasnt earlier and i even tried refreshing it twice.

Probably just a delay in migration.

13. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Whew... don't scare me like that! ;)

14. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
  15. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
  16. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Wow, thanks for giving us the heads up defred, that's incredible. There's been a couple articles like that floating about. I think it's the nature of this economy on the app stores that feels like you need to make an impact right away so you tend to look at things a little cockeyed from time to time. But then things like this come along and it un-cocks the eyes haha

Cheers bro! :)

17. loptr

loptr Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Information Architect
    Singapore
    This is one of the best games I've played all year.

Any hope of iCloud sync? I want to play this on my new iPad but I don't want to start all over again. Made substantial progress on the iPhone already.

18. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    We have been looking into this... the challenge is with the game engine we're currently using. In order to ensure things can work we have to wait for the company who built the engine to update. And since it's a little finicky we can't seem to figure this little issue out.

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I agree about Polara being a strong contender for the game of the year.

20. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Would you find it odd that we've almost literally dropped off the entire storefront? I don't know what people like, but I do know that those that have actually given this game a shot have said the same things you have. In fact we got a number of those reviews over on the Android store... but still people won't take the risk of spending a dollar or two on a title that people are calling great.

Any ideas? Should we do a Free App A Day giveaway and give all of our hard work away to a bunch of people just to see if they will bother to buy it?

BTW the ipad 3 graphics are almost done...I don't know how I did it, but I've got most of the textures together. Though it will take a bit to see how to fit these in to the game haha but keep an eye out... this game looks like it will be coming to pc and mac too :)