Universal SpellTower Classic (by Zach Gage)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by stfj, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Dannytime

Dannytime Member

Sep 22, 2010
    You know what would be great? The ability to replay a board, either by bookmarking it or copy-pasting a code. I'd love to challenge my wife's score on the same level, or try to outdo my previous attempt at a puzzle. I think drop7 had something like this.

2. Raphie123

Raphie123 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Hey Zach! I heard you are gonna be part of the jury in the Bivouac Urbain this year in Quebec City! That's really great news! I was all excited when I saw your name on the jury board haha :p I really love SpellTower, keep up the good works and see you this summer! :)

3. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Was this originally an iPad-only game, because the main thread seems to be here, but it's a universal game. Anyway, I just bought it and yes it's great! I do wish the tiles had scores on them, though, so I knew what letters are worth. It appears that different letters have different values, but I'm not sure.

4. MarkDF

MarkDF Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    That's a wonderful idea. I'd definitely support that as an addition.

5. iEatYoChicken

iEatYoChicken Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Spelltower has always worked for me, but now that I have updated it to the new version it does not work anymore. What happened? I'm on an iPod Touch 2g OS 4.2.1

6. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    Joaquino/joepau : languages are coming next. working on android version and languages.

dogkendra: it mixes in the tiles over time. People do manage to deal with the 6s. The trick is being more careful about the words you're playing. Using a 5 letter word in-between the sixes can clear some out, or making a 3 letter word to drop down the tiles you need to make a 6+

Dannytime: thats a great idea. If i can find a way to implement it comfortably within the current list of modes I'll give it a shot. I'm a bit reticent to add to many modes since it might overwhelm people

Raphie123: cool! Yeah I'm excited to come up it seems like a great game jam. see you soon :)

crunc: I couldn't fit that information onto the tiles without making everything look really busy :( It's similar to scrabble though, you can kind of play it by feel. Tiles are generally worth more if they're harder to use

iEatYoChicken: so sorry about that! I'm not sure why apple is still serving the old update that's broken. I already put out a newer update that fixes that for 4.3+ people, but apparently they still give the old update to 4.2 and down. Fortuantely, I have it fixed for 4.2 as well now, and i submitted that update a few days ago. It should be approved soon and then you'll be good to go :)

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Finally got the game a few days ago. I found the single player modes to be pretty mediocre and similar to games like Drop7 and Puzzlejuice. My brother and mom love it though. However, today while I waited in line for 30 minutes, I tried the local multiplayer with my gf. We played the entire time we were in line. Tons of fun.

8. dogkendra

dogkendra Member

Apr 16, 2012
    #128 dogkendra, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
    I would like to say that I think being able to play over the internet woud be the killer feature.

I would also like to see development focused on iOS users, in English. There are plenty of English words already that should be in the dictionary but aren't, focus on those before niche languages.

The whole reason it's such a good game is that what it does it does so well with great polish. I hate when software shops try and do too many things, losing their focus on core users. Why should iOS users subsidize developers to deal with the endless version hassles and substandard software of Android users? There's a limited amount of developer time in the world; every month spent trying to port something to some Android flavor is a month lost in core development of the main game. And Android users won't appreciate the game anyway - if they valued software quality, they'd be running iOS.

9. PodCubed

PodCubed Active Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Australia
    Definitely a great game. I felt the execution was clean and well polished. The debate mode is really addictive with a friend who likes word games.

10. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    This is definately a good idea I agree

11. dogkendra

dogkendra Member

Apr 16, 2012
    #131 dogkendra, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
    I agree.

12. dogkendra

dogkendra Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Thanks this advice was very helpful. I was able to get "neighborly" for over 700 points in EX mode on the way to a 14000 score using this technique, planning it out by a few three-letter words. Can't get scores like that consistently though.

13. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    im glad you guys are enjoying the multiplayer :)
    I hope to add online multiplayer in a future update.

dogkendra: can you point me to any words that you've found missing? I tried to make the dictionary as complete as possible, without including any proper nouns. I'd be happy to add any words you have found lacking though!

I'm hoping to get the game into as many players hands as possible. I have a different developer working on the android port, so it's no skin off my back :)

14. dogkendra

dogkendra Member

Apr 16, 2012
    #134 dogkendra, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
    I had several that I forget now, and in particular several re- words I thought should have been included. But it might have been my mistake. Here are some though:

modder - a person who modifies a computer device

consed - past tense of to create a cons for, used in functional/Lisp programming

ollied - skateboarding term

dopest - slang term, may not be appropriate

carnate - not in Scrabble dictionary but it is in some dictionaries...

inlines - from "to inline", to make a function an inline function

brane - used all the time in physics

------

By the way, some more comments:

-There is I think a micro-issue that the game always prompts to "resume" even if one only just left and returned for 15 seconds (as I do to write these words down in Notes). I think, although I am not sure, that some of the apps will just start up again without prompting if one leaves and reenters the app very quickly. It would make sense in, say, the non-Rush modes. This issue, having to click "Resume" on returning, if it is one at all, is about as low a priority as can be imagined though.

-Do the letters themselves get harder over time in Ex mode, or just the numbers? I want to understand precisely why, when and how some boards get hard. I think the exact scoring and exact difficulty algorithm maybe should be published at some point (?)

-In Game Center, which I do not particularly use or understand well, it would be nice to see the actual words that others used to score well, I think.

-I'd like to replay and see whole games and partial games I played [maybe in conjunction with internet]. E.g. it would be nice to send people a link to a video of how I set up and made the word "neighborly". Same with Game Center, perhaps, see how others play? This could be, say, like a puzzle - "here is a board, find a 10-letter word within three turns" perhaps? Snapshots, sharable, in other words

15. SpeckledJim

SpeckledJim Member

Apr 25, 2012
    #135 SpeckledJim, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
    Great game, but I'd have appreciated this being in its dictionary:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edit, doesn't have recurse either.

16. dogkendra

dogkendra Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Some more missing words

virals: is used to pluralize noun viral, claimed to be a word at "oxforddictionaries.com" http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/viral , as e.g. an online ad.

innie: navel configuration

goader: I found some online support for this being a word but did not look into it much, as one who goads

peerer: in some dictionaries online

staker: in dictionaries (e.g. merriam-webster.com) and and used all the time, for example in poker and many other arenas, as one who stakes. I actually lost a game due to this not being called a word and was annoyed.

Not sure of a good single source for all these kinds of words though.

17. Magdalene Felix

May 11, 2012
    I'm still waiting for an update with a more complete English dictionary.

Also, there *are* proper nouns in the game. I've found several deity names (though never the notorious ones, just the most obscure, lol) and other stuff. For instance "lin" (a word I'd tried just to see if it works) was listed in the ingame dictionary as Whatshername Lin, a famous architect, or something to that effect. On the other hand, I've tried "sagittarius" and it didn't work.

I would, however, like to thank you for working on an Android version. I have a lot of friends who have Android phones and who've been dying to get this game. *cough* And I don't think they're a lesser breed just cause of their choice in mobile devices. *cough*

18. joepau

joepau Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Still no Dutch

See tittle

19. SpeckledJim

SpeckledJim Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Issues since the last update...

Anyone else having problems with Game Center since it got updated? The Game Center flag icon top right now does nothing for me.

The game also seems a bit unstable, at least as far as starting up. I'd say about 1 in 4 attempts to start it, it will just freeze on the loading screen for a bit longer, maybe 20 seconds, and then drop out back to iOS. Run it again and it will load fine. I'm wondering if they are related.

No problems once it has loaded, well aside from the Game Center issue.

20. nolegirl

nolegirl Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Spelltower Issue

Hi all. I recently downloaded Spelltower for the iPad. I love the game but the issue I am having is I can't seem to unlock Extreme mode although it says it's unlocked after getting 2000 points in Puzzle mode. For some reason, when I complete a game in puzzle mode, the same 1267 points show even though I may have gotten 800 points in the last game I played.
    Do I have to get that 2000 points in one sitting? Does anyone know how to fix this?