Universal Battle of the Bulge - (by Shenandoah Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by djflippy, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    After some multiplayer games under my belt, I want to express again how much I love this game.
    The tension and sense of danger around the 19 in the full campaign is always tangible and no two games are equal.
    This is valid for the solo game too...yesterday I had (another) incredibly tense game as Allied against Dietrich.
    As others has already stated...no point in returning to the Race to Meuse scenario after you tried the full campaign.
    I even wish there was a 'post 20 December' scenario, because I have yet to see what happen around 22-23 (I win or loose always before that), and I want to read the historical annotations for those days too.

Besides the 'no more wind' sound bug I have just minor requests about the interface.

1) I wish there was a supply/normal map switch on screen (or tapping in a corner for a more elegant solution) instead of having to press the menu and the supply button (I do that a LOT, togheter with checking the VP).

2) When you press the gamecenter button, it brings you directly to one GC game (the oldest one)...I would prefer it just opened a menu with the active games to pick up one of my choice...useful when you are playing several GC games concurrently).

3) I would LOVE to be able to export the review game video, wich is freaking awesome to boot, on Youtube.

Anyway, those are very minor things...the game is absolutely awesome, thank you very much for making it.

2. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I want to see the "next game" button too. I have 4 active MP games currently and am totally spoiled by Carcassonne and Playtek games.

(In-game messaging would be nice too)

3. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Maybe I understood wrong, but THERE IS the 'next' button.
    If you press MENU, under the various sub menus (Briefing, History....) there is a GC icon (only if you actually have GC games waiting for you turn, indicated by the red number on the menu button).
    If you tap you will be brought directly to your next game, as in Carcassonne.
    What I would prefer (but as I said it's very minor) is a list of your current games.

4. WakeOfPoseidon

WakeOfPoseidon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Engineer
    I would agree with the ability to pick your next game from a list - when I click the "Next Game" button (which honestly isn't labeled very well), it's hard to tell who your opponent is.

Speaking of which, I would also like to see somewhere on the screen where it lists your opponent's name - it pops up briefly when you switch games, but otherwise, I don't see a means to see your opponent's name on the board.

5. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    You can tap on the faction (under Commit) to see who you’re currently playing.

6. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    THIS!
    Maybe tapping on the AXIS/ALLIED button on the upper right could tell the name of the opponent general :p (and maybe even the type of game...now I have to go to the briefing to check if I'm playing a Race to the Meuse or a full campaign).

7. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    DOH!!!

REALLY????
    I even tried it (obviously missed it).
    LOL, thanks for sharing!

8. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I know when playing the Meuse campaign it says Meuse I the top left info box. When playing the longer campaign it just shows a timeline I believe.

9. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I just tried and as ddunham said tapping above the commit button says which campaign is playing and the name of the opponent, all written in a very 'ww2' scrap of paper, with the usual attention to detail.

Thanks for the suggestion!

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Man, I suck at this game, but I'm still kinda enjoying it. I always seem to run out of time before reaching the Meuse. Is it me or is there really only one effective route to take? Anything along the bottom half of the screen seems like too long a trek, it seems like you need to aim for the top area where the river is closest.

11. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    I am not very good at the game either, but here are my $.02 of notes to play German:

1. German always moves first and last in the day mostly. This is a very big advantage.

2. Panzer division is the fastest moving unit: it can move 2 spaces along friendly-occupied paths and can breakthrough for another additional space after expelling/eliminate enemy in an area. They should act as your spearhead.

3. According to the "indirect path" principle, the path without enemy is always the shortest.

4. So mass your panzer divisions at where the enemy is the weakest and/or does not exists.

5. There are enough panzer strength to open at least 2 routes to reach Meuse.

6. Make sure your units are not cut off from the supply -- out-of-supply units (red area) are worse than those out-of-fuel (something you do not have to worry about in RttM)

7. Bastogne is nice to have but not a must have. Just make sure that the enemy there does not jump out and harass your supply routes

8. It is okay to be "gamey". The US reinforcements always appear on the same area and their movements are more or less predictable. Plan your moves carefully so that the panzer units can gain maximum speed and there are always follow-up troops to hold the supply line clear.

12. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Anyone finds any use of Panzer-Brigade 150? I think it is in for historical accuracy only. :)

13. NoisyNinja

NoisyNinja Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Thnx for the advice. This works great. it seems there are no other way to beat it.

14. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    @pitta - Does your gamecenter name match? Wanna make sure I added the right person.

15. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Sorry for the late answer....yes you added the right one ;)

16. Cromwell

Cromwell Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Selfemployed PC Service technican
    Cologne, Germany
    Still not @german AppStore. :(
    I wonder what is going there @apple.

17. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    EMOS and I are having a great game, just wish to post the AAR.

Anyone wants to beat me can find my GCID below.

P.S. Sorry to distract but I have a strong urge to reinstall iDOS and play Operation Crusader just for that.

18. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Any news from devs on future patches, content or features?

19. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Is it normal that I keep seeing the notification of messages even after I declined a game? That '1' on the icon is really annoying!

For people who know me and invite me to online games .... I am nt ready. I have not playing the solo enough and I always get destroyed in the first scenario.

20. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Not a problem, if you ever want to try MP feel free to send me an invite :)