What is it with all the "OLD" games??

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by defred34, Dec 7, 2012.

1. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

If the games don't appeal to you, don't buy them, simple as that. It's not like there haven't been original titles released and this is all you get. Some of these are classics and it's great to be able to play them on the go, laying in bed or just sitting on the couch.

It's your prerogative as to whether or not you want them, but frankly, I admire the fact that I can play some older games that I grew up on and even some that I never got a chance to play.

2. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Oh you're one of those... Just go play angry birds.

Return to "old-school" was all about gameplay. I doubt you played any of the fps classics did you? They have more humor, more entertaining gameplay, longer gameplay, they are harder to beat - provide a bigger challenge etc.
    Go ahead download one and beat it (on hard mode at least).

3. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I'm truly losing hope in humanity right now...

4. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #24 tblrsa, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    Slow down right there, young fellow. I love to play old titles, even those I havent played back then like "King Of Dragon Pass". Such a great game and worth every penny.

That being said, I'd purchase "Master Of Orion" or the full "Civilization 2" or even "Colonization" in an instant.

5. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Please tell me you didn't just give Colonization a "backhanded" compliment. Jk, but in all honesty, I spent waaay more time with it (the Win32 version) then Civ2...probably because it borrowed many elements from one of the favorite games from my childhood, The Seven Cities of Gold for the Commodore 64.

6. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Really?

7. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    If you don't like something, don't buy it... simple

8. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    But if someone doesn't like something, then how can anyone else in their right mind like it. ;)

9. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    And Halo CE 10th Anniversary edition must be killing the Xbox 360 platform. :rolleyes:

He's lost all credibility LONG before that. This guy is just waiting to be banned.

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #30 JBRUU, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    He does tend to start arguments. :rolleyes:

11. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I'm surprised he wasn't banned for wishing the Field Runners 2 developers to their graves for adding IAP...

12. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Wow, I didn't expect basically everyone here to support having "old" games ported to mobile platforms.

Thing is (and this is the truth) I never played many PC and PS games in my childhood. Also, I'm around 20 only, so my childhood was not too long ago.

As much as I will never be playing things like FF, GTA, BGEE, Raidens Legacy etc that are taken from the past, come to think of it.....I am actually awaiting Atari's reboot of roller coaster tycoon. Plus, I'm hoping its exactly like the old ones just catered to touch input....so I guess it all comes down to whether you have an attachment to the games or not. And all this despite me playing the game for over a thousand hours (1 & 2) as it was the only PC game was weakling of a computer could handle!

Anyway, it was good hearing responses from all of you....so many people feel so strongly about old games. I was worried that this phenomenon will curtail development of brand new IPs....

Still, one thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is that developers are making a fast cash by pricing all these games expensively. With the exception of ROckstar who's priced GTA games quite OK.

13. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    You took some heat in this thread but ill try to guve a dif kind if answer cuz i know what u mean to say.

The appeal for old games being ported is that we get to play these games on the go. I can play an old game anytime on a pc emulator or on the pan store sure, but that takes a sit down session. On My iPhone I get to lounge around, watch tv, in the car etc and enjoy these games.

The debate on graphics is all wrong tho. Gameplay>>>>>>>graphics and we will happily take retro style for good gameplay.

14. Wow, this thread just exploded. I would like to see robotron and robotron 2084 in one package like raiden was. Thank you dotemu or anyone else.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #35 psj3809, Dec 8, 2012
    I wouldn't say the games are priced expensively. For many of us older fans who love iOS the games are unbelievably cheap. A lot of kids don't seem to realise how lucky they are and they still whine and wait for a $2 game to drop in price!!

Many games such as Carmegeddon, Duke Nukem, Baldurs Gate for example were MUCH more originally than the measly few dollars they cost on iOS. iOS prices are so cheap. Baldurs gate only £7?!?? Bargain

I promise you in 10 years time you'll be over the moon when an old favourite is released on iOS and now you have the ability to take and play this game whenever you want.

Thinking all the retro games is holding iOS gaming back is a joke. If anything its helping as us retro fans buy iOS devices (I have an iPad iPhone and iPod) and many retro fans are older so have jobs and so buy many games. I spend $30 a month at least on iOS games/apps

I probably help iOS gaming much more financially than some kid waiting for price drops constantly. If anything thank us retro fans for buying so many games. I don't just buy retro games. Sooooo many new games out there are often based on retro game ideas so I enjoy buying these as well

But at the end if the day you don't like them due to poor graphics (terrible view) but please no ridiculous statements like retro games are holding iOS gaming back. The App Store is big enough for everyone. Many of us retro fans young and old are helping much more with purchases than 'some' of the younger iOS fans who constantly wait for freebies and don't help the devs. But again name some re-released retro games which are super expensive? To me they're not expensive to have an old favourite on my iPod. It's a dream being able to have that game in the palm of my hand

And if roller coaster tycoon comes out with enhanced graphics or the original mode i bet you'll love the nostalgic trip down memory lane and see the actual original in all its full glory. That's how we feel when our old favourites hit the App Store. But check any gaming platform. They all have retro games as gameplay doesn't grow old and people love nostalgia whether that's games, films or music from their youth. It's like your dad buying some old car he had as a youth to get that trip down memory lane

But I will say fair play to you for listening and responding despite some heated replies

16. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    I agree these darn fangled devices are getting too fancy these days. graphics are getting too intense.

Once I downloaded a game about a bear driving a car. For a few brief moments I actually thought I was a bear, and I was drunk and driving around so angry and then my battery died and I came crashing back to reality.

Graphics are getting TOO good and more and more people are only going to end up getting hurt.

I think the best solution for everyone is if they port even older school games, GOOD games like I used to play when I was a kid like Kick the Can, and skip rope.

17. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #37 violentv, Dec 8, 2012
    I honestly think graphics are important..but this depends largely on the genre of the game of course(btw..I loathe FPS games). I think beautiful 3D environments and awesome landscape designs can give you a real sense of scale and immersion in RPGs. I had a lot of fun just walking around admiring the environment/cities and soaking in the lore in the more recent console/PC RPGs. I suppose this also depends on the priorities of the gamer as well..I would choose plot over fun/innovative gameplay anytime if the gameplay is at least bearable =p. I don't think there should be any reason to bash gamers who prefer to look at pretty graphics..we are spoilt for choice when it comes to games..surely there are many games with both good graphics and gameplay right >.>

I have no issue about 'retro' graphics though like in the Spiderweb games ...like Jeff Vogel mentioned..they aren't bad/hazardous graphics that will make your eyes bleed. They are just simpler and older styled graphics catering to a niche group of gamers.

I am rather supportive of older games being ported to the iOS platform...especially if they are competitively priced. Many of these old games are really excellent and I believe this provides healthy competition for unambitious-freemium-inclined iOS developers. Unfortunately...like defred34 mentioned, some of these ports are pretty overpriced and they reek of developers trying to squeeze an old IP for $$ to fund projects on other platforms by giving these old games a 2nd( perhaps 3rd/4th/5th !?) life on the iOS platform. I don't think they do anyone any harm though since they are priced out of reach of casual iOS gamers and the gamers they are targeting are willing to pay for them.

18. AppleFan12

AppleFan12 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    USA
    Very well said indeed. I remember when these PC classics were like $50 or so! $9.99 is a big bargain. I'm very nostalgic when it comes to old school gaming because its a real treat to be able to play it on my iPad Mini.

I have very good memories of playing GTA Vice City many years ago, so it really is so nice to make that trip down memory lane. I'm all for older games getting released

19. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    I know, right? It's like when they released all the Pink Floyd stuff on CD, I was like, "WTF?!" And now they've gone and made it DIGITAL? The madness! The horror! The huMANity!:eek:

It is an unspeakable crime to be able to play JSR & GTA:VC on my phone.

/sarcasm:p:rolleyes:;):D

Thank goodness there are millions of people who don't feel this way...

DBC

20. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    I don't have nostalgia but I've bought a lot of retro games.
    As many have said
    Gameplay >>>> Graphics