Universal Real Racing 3 by Electronic Arts

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by matthew-13, Feb 13, 2013.

1. underage17

underage17 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I haven't gotten to buying another car yet, but so far, I'm enjoying this. The 6 hr repair wait is ridiculous but the time change trick works so it's not an issue. Even the cost of cars doesn't seem THAT bloated, at least that's what I'm guessing (haven't gotten too far in the game)

I had read a lot of negative comments on here about this game but after giving it a shot, it all seems exaggerated.

- The game runs on full retina on the ipad 3 (YUSSS!)
    - The graphics are insane. I spent a whole 10 minutes just staring at the Porsche 918 from every possible angle
    - New race options like Drag look pretty interesting
    - iAP's are a let down but not to the level that's portrayed in the forum (I gotta say, give this game a shot before criticizing it so much)

2. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    For sure give it go. The issues raised outside of IAPs are the biggest problem. Play for a while longer and you will see the core issues RR3 has

3. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Good line. CSR? Dumped and never look back

One of my cars is in the 4th of a six hours deep "service" (of course you will not encounter this in the first 30 minutes), I have two devices to my itch satisfied. They don't sync with each other. Thank goodness so that I can game on this way.

I find damages in group races mostly inevitable (in Pitt's voice): it is mainly due the same AI design we are used to : cars cluster on the first 2 bends and then spread out into 3-4 groups with a lone leader. If u are unable to slip or better crash into the first 4 early, your chance of getting a trophy is rather slim.

Also, note that you cannot delete your profile and start again, I am thinking about reinstall it at one point.

I find the ad has been removed after the update. The ad is not that bad, but I do not get my 8 gold coins I was promised.

I have a rather wishful thinking that EA halts CA launch due to the response. She may fine-tune something before 28th, but do not expect great changes. My $0.02

4. Surfheart

Surfheart Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Australia
    Wait, your saying we should give the game a pass because you illegally bypassed the wait timers. Of course the IAPS aren't bad if you use a glitch to work around them. I'm not going to stuff around with my ipad's clock, the game is broken on so many other ways, I just couldn't be bothered. I'm looming at a 6 hour wait after 45 mins of play unless I pony up some dosh.

5. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    The only way to stop this before it becomes an epidemic is to completely ignore the game, don't even download it to leave a bad review that just gets them visibility. On another note sorry to see what happened to Real Racing the first two games were probably the best driving games on a phone.

6. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Awful, shambolic game. No AI, no qualifying, no multiplayer, no fun, full of IAP. The devs need to look at Toca 2 on the PSone to see how a racing game should be.

If this is the future of gaming then it's dying.

7. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    i see the game not yet appeared in the Canadian from what is reported im guessing cause of the time difference from UK to Canada store?

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I've modified the thread title and appinfo in the OP. If you guys find something more to complain about in that regard, please don't hesitate to inform me. :)

9. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    wonder whats happen there then as Touch and Pocket before stated in big bound letter out in NZ,OZ and Canada they must of pulled the trigger back....or never counted on the backlash its getting from the fans hehehe

10. f.skoda

f.skoda Active Member

Feb 14, 2013
    #530 f.skoda, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
    Hi everybody. Got this last night in NZ. I liked RR1 and 2 alot, so I thought I'd share my impression on the game. I have played a total of 5 to 6 hours of actual racing (hard to tell with the waiting and exploring). Have unlocked 6 cars already (mid-range cars). As follows:

Pros:

- Excellent graphics. I was expecting more (dynamic crowds, flares in the stands etc), but this is good enough.
    - Great tracks. I recognize most of these, and some turns such as Ea Rouge (Spa), Corkscrew (Lagusa Seca) and the downhill climb from the top of Bathrust are AWESOME!!!
    - Decent handling of the cars. I still feel the physics are not brilliant here, but they are decent.
    - Good, smooth controls.
    - Not too shabby framerate. Very occasional drops, but solid otherwise.
    - A wide variety of event types. Seriously, this is great. Normal racing, drag, elimination, one on one, endurance, top speed and a few others.
    - 966 events that will keep you accompanied to your grave!

Cons:

- No "real" dynamic/relative AI (essential in this kind of a game imho). The AI in the game follows a real world human. So if they spend on in-app purchases and have the most powerful car in the first race in a certain championship, and you have the worst, you're toast. No chance of winning, AT ALL. And the opposite can happen. You are too OP and your opponents left trailing far behind.
    - Extremely rude TSM AI. They attack you from the back and sides. They push you off track and into walls. Even if you're far off line, they'll try to rub paint with your car. Reason for this is to increase your damage and put more money in EA's pockets.
    - Narrow tracks. Again to increase likelihood of damage. That street track in Melbourne is just OTT. Most corners are to be taken one at a time.
    - No qualifying. Makes it really difficult (impossible?) to get to No1 from 22. This is especially true on the narrower circuits.
    - No quick race mode. Self explanatory.
    - No "real" multiplayer. "
    - Cost of upgrades are too high and offer too little performance increase in some cases.
    - Sometimes your car gets damage naturally (without contact). Like broken fuel pump or faulty spark plug? C'mon!

The ugly:

- The timer system. I won't talk about this. Others have done so I see. Even with 6 cars (and actually two of them are underpowered so count them out), I can only use each for about 3-4 races, meaning within an hour or so I hit the timers, which range from 2-6 hours for each car.

Miscellaneous/suggestions:

- Damage should be on a race by race basis. No need for it to carry over.
    - Service time should be abolished.
    - Introduce a proper balanced computer AI for God's sake!
    - Have a restart button
    - Reduce cost of upgrades

Will keep this updated over time.

PS: Notice that the game has a long list of cons that doesn't yet include the timer!

11. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Faulty spark plugs - WTF? - this game really is a joke. Like actually laughable.

12. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    I'm not evem sure if it was released in Canada. I've searched the store high and low for it.

Eli, or anyone, if it is indeed out in Canada, could you be so kind as to post a link?

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Clicking the NZ link in the OP should redirect you to your local store if a game's available, with a "One Moment Please. Connecting to the iTunes Store" message if it isn't.

14. Tower Defender

Tower Defender Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Lol really? Faulty spark plugs? Why doesn't an EA representative walk over to your car and slash all of your wheels instead? At least I'd chuckle.

15. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #535 Rip73, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
    Hmmm, some interesting reaction on NZ App Store.
    Climbed to 2 in free charts but slipped to 61 from 45 in highest grossing.
    The actual star reviews are very good but the people who put in actual comments remind me of this thread yesterday:) Car crash commenting (pun intended).

After putting a lot more time into (and I don't mean waiting, I mean playing), its really very engaging. Plus I've earned a lot of cash, bought a Mclaren with in game gold, still have gold and cash leftover and earn quite a bit from redoing old races on tsm and beating gamecenter friends times.

While one car is repairing, the other is racing. There has been a small bit of crossover in one case where both were repairing but all i did was have a cup of coffee and go back to it.

I reckon once you have 3 or 4, the timer will not even exist because there is a huge range of tracks and events and races and championships and beating tsm times and on and on. It seems almost never ending. I've around 900 events left to compete in.

The timer is certainly an inconvenience and annoying at the very beginning but once I had the second car, I just set off the repairs and move to another event with a different car. Simples.
    And I have bought no iap.

So essentially, it does appear like a bit of trek at the beginning but really if you delve a bit deeper and ignore the two hyper expensive cars, you'll never have to pay. Or just buy a small pack for like 5 dollars or 10 dollars at the beginning that includes a car and some gold and some cash, you'll never look back.

I did try very hard to have a good deep look at it over a good few hours, drive carefully, position high in results and just get a decent look in to it and I honestly don't have any problem at this stage. I can't even see myself having time to complete the game fully.

16. f.skoda

f.skoda Active Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Guys, I have a problem.

Championship name: Production Masters - Road Car International

Events with problem/bug/hack: Speed snap (Heckenheimring) & Autocross (Silverstone)

In both cases, I use the best car available. But the top speed and course time achieved respectively by me is FAR away from the top 7 in the leaderboard. Something is really wrong. For example, the autocross time are listed around 35s. Takes me 50 seconds to finish it though. And I am pretty good at the game, plus I got the best car. Definitely something wrong.

If anyone faces the same issue please let me know.

17. f.skoda

f.skoda Active Member

Feb 14, 2013
    You seem to have played a lot. But I do not share the same impressions with you.

Please look at the list of cons I have compiled on the previous page and comment. You have played a lot, so your comment will be worth it and reputable.

Especially with regards to the AI aspect of the game.

18. f.skoda

f.skoda Active Member

Feb 14, 2013
    How about "air filter blocked", or "fuel filter damage"? There are lots more ridiculous stuff I can't recall.

19. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Look at this guy... He just keeps promoting this crap! He can not stop! He tells everyone that from now on we will live in the new world order and we must accept it. None of his posts were removed. Hey EA, send him a paycheck, if you haven't already. He deserves it. And Eli, that bet is still on.

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Are you saying 20 minutes play followed by six hours waiting is untrue? Because a lot of people are experiencing this. Or are you just saying it happens, but it's not a big deal? Because a lot of people think it's a fairly big deal. Details!

I think this would be something the developers have obviously thought about. Either the game only picks human drivers within a certain time bracket to make the races possible, or it actually uses AI drivers but with other player's names above them to give a sense of community, and the actual "multiplayer" is somewhere else in the game.

Not just rude, but stupid. Every time a Forza or Gran Turismo game is due, fans go looking for this exact issue. People want AI that reacts to the player in a reasonable way. Smashing into you on a corner because they don't know you exist is not reasonable, trying to avoid you but scratching your paintwork is fine. This is how people look for good AI in a racing game, and RR3 just doesn't have it... at all.

What's more, imagine a scenario where Firemonkeys implement good AI into RR4 and EA tell them to remove it because they'll lose money without car damage. I can totally see a dick move like this happening.

To be honest, I don't see much wrong with his comment. It makes perfect sense that owning more cars means less waiting, how can you refute that logic? You might still dislike the game, but he's not exactly lying to you.