Dat Valve Controller

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Razoric, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Razoric

Razoric Well-Known Member

#1 Razoric, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  2. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    The Steam machine gets more and more interesting to me. Any early interest I had in getting a next gen PS4 or XBone console has evaporated. Instead, I will follow what Valve is doing and wait to see how well the oculus rift will play with it. The fact that Valve went in an unconventional direction for their controller makes it more appealing to me.

3. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I'd like to try it. I think it would work well, most likely, for FPS type games, but probably not too good with platformers and things like that (Spelunky). It's probably not better than a mouse + keyboard, though. Hopefully we can use a PS3 or 360 controller or something like that for platformer type games.

I think it's interesting what they are doing, but I definitely do not think they are certain to succeed.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm not entirely convinced it's even better than analog sticks, but I'd be foolish to pass judgement so soon. The button layout looks absolutely horrible though, and the pads are gonna need to be nice and smooth to avoid blisters. It could work, but I imagine in a few years time we'll see an improved version that'll be closer to being the "real solution".

5. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    First thoughts: What the hell!!
    Second thoughts: uh...okay

I have mixed feelings and tbh I'm not really interested.

6. Looks pretty cool, wish I could try those on my ipad.

7. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #7 september, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    Gah, wrong topic.

On topic, I'm interested in giving this a whirl. I have no problems with the current controller default but this could help people like my wife who have major problems with them, if they retain a higher level of accuracy they could be a win.

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Shut up.

Loving this:

[​IMG]

9. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    My impression at first sight is it looks like two circular laptop trackpads stuck on a controller. I don't know if that would work for me or not to be honest it might be good or a nightmare I think I will personally just keep to analogues.

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    What's the pricing for the controller, or has that not been announced yet?

Lol.

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Comprehensive list of bad products Valve has released:

EOF

12. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
  13. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    I don't care if it's better or not, balls to it.

14. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    "Don’t take that as slight to the controller though because it’s more about the comfort of familiarity over functionality. I would choose a 360 controller because I have several thousand hours experience using it, however if tomorrow all game controllers were wiped off the earth and the only option was the Steam Controller, I don’t think this would be a bad thing. In fact, I don’t think gaming would miss a beat."

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    So basically we're just hanging on for a worldwide 360 controller genocide ;)

16. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    It certainly won't go anywhere without one.

17. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    You have to remember they can program the right or left trackpad to have buttons within the haptic surface. I'm extremely interested to see how this all pans out and what it means for games specifically targeted towards the controller. Knowing Valve they aren't just going to slap two laptop trackpads on there and call it a day. I have a feeling this controller is going to be insane (in a good way).

Also the idea of buying a cheap Steambox (I'm guessing $150 or less) to stream to my living room TV is the thing I'm most excited for.

18. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I can get the Xbone controller, which is very traditional, other than the feedback in the shoulder buttons, but the PS4 controller? It has a touchpad on it, a light sensor, built in speakers... It has more nontraditional features than the Valve controller (which does look interesting). Valve controller basically just changes the pad layout and adds trackpads where analogs would be.

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I really don't care if the PS4 uses the regular DualShock 3, I'm not letting a controller cause me to miss out on games. PC + iOS + console or die.