Hello I'm very new to all of this... Can some one help?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Cant_code_wont_code, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Cant_code_wont_code

Cant_code_wont_code New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    #1 Cant_code_wont_code, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    First off, hello to you all - Im new to the forum, please be gentle.

So the challenge has been set to me by some at my office. That one day, some time soon I hope, I will learn how to build and create an iphone app that will be on the App Store and sell to at least one phone other than my own (and my mother). Sounds easy.

However... I have zero experience in code and I'm very much a novice.

I have no time frame apart for the rest of my life to get this done. But how hard can it be right ?

Any way i hope you lot can help me in tips and tricks.If you have any practical tips on where to start, where to go first for an idiot such as myself, it help a great deal.

PLEASE dont be confused. Im not asking any one to code an app for me or to do any work. I want to code & design the whole thing. But im going to need pointing in the right direction...

Please contact me if you think you can help....Im going to need it. :):eek:

I have been tracking my limited (very limited) progress on a blog you can find here. As well as my twitter account.

Thanks guys and hope this post find you happy and well.

PHIL - UK, London.

2. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    check gamesalad, might be helpfull for you. NB: I have nerver used it myself.

JC

3. Razoric

Razoric Well-Known Member

4. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Are you a registered Apple Developer yet?

If you are, I would suggest digging into their examples. They have tons there and after you look around you might get a feel for what type of App you want to develop.

Or if you want to go another route, sometimes knowing the App idea is a good start. If you know the general idea (a game, a utility, a camera app, etc) you can start researching it and usually you'll find that other developers already have code examples of the stuff you want to do.

Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

5. WickedAwesome

WickedAwesome Active Member

May 8, 2010
    Concept Wizard
    Melbourne, Australia
    Books...

This is not a bad book, in fact we are actually working with the authors as our devs - iPhone and iPad Game Development For Dummies
    From not knowing anything we can actually talk about development at a reasonable level.

6. Cant_code_wont_code

Cant_code_wont_code New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Thanks

Hi all... Thanks so much for the PM's and reply to my little quest. Have started playing around with both code and Game salad. We will see who wins the battle art the end of the week... Thanks again. And Im sure i will up date you all on my progress as well as beg you all for some help thanks again.

7. hspain

hspain Active Member

Mar 29, 2011
    My suggestion is to start with something *very* simple. Don't start coding (or dragging and dropping) without a solid plan or you are sure to get frustrated. Break your project into many even simpler pieces and treat each of those as a separate goal. It is easy to get overwhelmed when starting out and this way you can make measurable progress. Looking forward to see how it pans out.

8. nantas

nantas Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Designer at aBitGames Studio
    Xiamen
    I agree, these two engine are the most beginner-friendly for iOS game development.

9. Renegadecitizen

Renegadecitizen Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
  10. dreadwench

dreadwench Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2011
    #iphonedev or irc were helpful :)