iOS App Review Exchange

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by WhatItTakesGame, Jan 12, 2013.

1. WhatItTakesGame

WhatItTakesGame Active Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Leeds, UK
    All,

I've created this iOS App Review Exchange thread for any developers out there who would like to get more app reviews in the App Store for their FREE games.

We released our first game 'What it Takes - Free' 2 days ago, and whilst we have a decent amount of reviews, we'd definitely like some more! So hopefully this will help us and everyone else who is involved :).

This will work by developers EXCHANGING reviews. To make sure this works fairly for everyone (i don't want people getting free reviews - this is for the community to help each other), interested developers must do the following:

1. Post a link to their iTunes app page.
    2. Post what their iTunes nickname is.

To help people find your app and nickname easily i'll include you in the 'HOT' list at the bottom of this post.

When you have done this, please download and review any of the community member's apps that are on the 'HOT' list, and send them a PM telling them that you have done so. Once done, that community member should return the gesture by reviewing your app.

If this isn't the case within 36 hours, please send me a PM notifying me of the user (i will check your claim by reading your app store reviews), and i will move that user from the 'HOT' list and put them in the 'COLD' list (also found at the bottom of this post).

Do not review any apps that are in the 'COLD' list.

If the user then reviews your app after being moved to the 'COLD' list, i will move them back to the 'HOT' list. :)

I hope this is helpful for everyone!

+++ HOT +++

W.I.T. Free: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/what-it-takes-free/id584331176?mt=8
    Nickname: Dirtigroovz

+++ COLD +++

2. iAppDev

iAppDev Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
  3. #3 DungeonPlunder, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
    Sorry to be that guy but doesn't that go against the whole ideas of reviews? I mean you know the reviews generated by this "service" will be anything but real ones.

Sure it can be slow to get them, and it sucks to have dumb 1 star ones, but to resort to having fake 5 star reviews is hardly a solution.

4. TheFootballPlaybook

TheFootballPlaybook Active Member

@DungeonPlunder Where does it say you have to give 5 star reviews?

5. You really think this "service" is to provide real balanced reviews and that someone who gives 1 stars will be on the hot list? Please. :rolleyes:

6. This kind of reminds me of TA's Game of the Week last week how developers supported each others games.

7. HitStop

HitStop Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    iOS developer
    Pity that leaving reviews are so hard in the first place. Typing up something comprehensive on a touch screen is not very practical.

8. Not to mention losing them every update..

9. tianye2856

tianye2856 New Member

Apr 25, 2013
  10. earchambault

earchambault New Member

May 3, 2013
  11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I totally agree. This is one reason why I don't bother with app reviews anymore on iTunes. They're either full of fake shill ones, fake ones by devs promising iTunes vouchers or fake ones such as what this thread suggests

Makes a mockery of it all if its basically give me a 5 star review and ill give you a 5 star review

12. iChris

iChris Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Software Developer
    Dortmund, Germany
    Another way to get more reviews is to kindly remember your users on writing them. As we added a reminder dialog the users gave us a significant amount of reviews. It's up to you how often you like to remember your users. Fieldrunners for example has a heart shaped button where you get the "Rate Hint".
    As mentioned above we remind the players after they solved #n levels. (To get better ratings use good timings and care about the mood the player has)

13. classteacher

classteacher New Member

Jul 6, 2013
    job
    Delhi
  14. deegansoftware

deegansoftware New Member

My two cents

I've just joined toucharcade and have posted an article in the Mac App Store on my new creation Dublin Quiz App (free version). Having read what people have said here regarding reviews and rating, its hard to get a foothold when your just starting out developing.

So much emphasis is placed on reviews its really sink or swim. I think exchanging reviews is a good idea between developers, ONLY if its honest and truthfull! Posting 5 stars does more damage and destroys reputations.

Thanks for reading

15. earchambault

earchambault New Member

May 3, 2013
  16. donnaholmes

donnaholmes New Member

May 15, 2014
  17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Sounds good but if some guy left you a 1 star review and then you have to review his app, i just cant see you leaving a 5 star review.

Again they're fake either way, look at some of the apps mentioned, New York travel Pangea guide ? You'll honestly review this ?

Its like when i read about people trying to win a voucher in a contest where the contest is to do with learning for babies and they dont even have a kid ! Just want to win.

Just think exchanging reviews with each other (which are fake, come on lets be serious) is a bad idea

18. cos2v

cos2v Active Member

Sep 1, 2013
  19. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Game Developer (iOS, Mega Drive, C64)
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Agreed. What happened to just making good games?

20. WhiteSponge

WhiteSponge Well-Known Member

Not to mention that Apple has began deleting reviews randomly.

Even the reviews I got for Small Chronicles by asking players to help review & improve the game's experience FROM WITHIN THE GAME (via a prompt) were deleted.

Meaning that my legit reviews were deleted.

Not 1 but 4 of them -_-''