Waking Mars By Tiger Style

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by goiMot, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goiMot

goiMot Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Physician

From Gamezebo.com
    "Exactly when Waking Mars is due out isn't certain, but Tiger Style have said on their Twitter that they’re currently targeting a release sometime this February".

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
  3. David Tiger

David Tiger Well-Known Member

We quietly changed the name a few months back. Lost Mars is a bit too close in concept to another Lost Something IP owned by a major game publisher, and we didn't want to risk a legal collision.

Ultimately, we prefer Waking Mars anyway, as it has a more clear connection with the fiction of the game.

When we made Spider, we didn't do anything pre-release to try and get attention on the game. With Waking Mars, we've made an effort to try and at least talk about it a little bit and show it off before it's "done" but it's been challenging. The way our process works at Tiger Style, the game really doesn't sing as a complete package until everything is polished and ready. If you watch that gameplay trailer, I hope that it just creates a little bit of interest, and we'll do a better job of selling people on the concept when the game is actually DONE. (Which, by the way, should be really soon :))

Can't wait to share it with you guys!

4. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Reminds me of a 2D Resistance

5. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    #6 Jdragoon19, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    The beta for the game has started! :)

Btw, I know this isn't the funnest game in the world. But, IMO, it really shouldn't be classified as a "game". I think Waking Mars is more of an interactive experience such as Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery. Was S&S fun? Not really. It was an experience that was meant to be marveled at and drooled over. You were supposed to be meant to admire the amount of effort put into the game, not how much fun you had with it.

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Damn, I wanna be in the beta, well I am, but with testflight, I can't download since wi-fi's been down for a week :(

7. wilflare

wilflare Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2011
    Singapore
    I wanna be in the beta too! is there still openings? :/

8. zombieaddict

zombieaddict Active Member

Aug 6, 2011
    New Zealand
    this game looks awesome. how many levels will it include?

9. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    This looks seriously good. Loving the art direction!

10. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    There aren't any levels. This game is like Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery.

11. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I hate you. You just had to make my excitement for this game go up immensely :p.

12. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Uhh, I hate how I am in beta but the builds won't install...

13. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    I'm not saying its like S&S, I'm saying that there aren't any levels. Its exploration/roaming around like S&S, it's nothing similar in gameplay though.

14. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Besides, if it was, it wouldn't mean it would suck.

15. David Tiger

Definitely flattered to be compared with S&S in any context -- that game is astoundingly amazing -- but I'm not sure I totally agree with the "not really a game" comment. (BTW, jdragoon, thanks for playing the beta, we really appreciate it!)

The gameplay IS more oriented towards exploration (of the world and of the systems) than it is oriented towards score or challenge, so if you tend to prefer the latter to the former, you might not be as taken with it, but so far we are getting an excellent response in playtest. My point about "being a game" is that there are definitely some pretty traditional "game" systems in play -- health and survival, resource management, objectives, achievements, difficulty levels, even leaderboards for completion score and biomass total.

We have built a large interconnected world, which after the first 15 levels or so becomes very open and non-linear -- you can choose to pursue a number of different objectives in any order you like. There are 3 different endings to achieve.

Our average playtester who finishes the game usually spends about 6-8 hours on first playthrough. So that should give you a sense of the scope, and since the systems are fairly open once you get into the game, we think there will be some positive replayability value for fans.

Ultimately we hang our hats on making non-traditional game experiences, and delivering content that is truly original, so if you get excited about games that show you something *different*, I think you will probably like Waking Mars.

Anyway, we're supposed to submit in a couple of days, so I shouldn't really be hanging out here too much :) But will definitely stop in more as we get closer to release!

(p.s., LOLavi, have you tried installing a more recent version?)

16. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    It gave the error and I retried like I always do and this time it worked :D I'll give feedback tomorrowz.

17. Estupendo1

Estupendo1 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Watched the preview vid. It has a good atmosphere, sorta reminds me a little of Team17's Assassin. Despite knowing v little about the game, maybe 2 things I could suggest as the main character is the point of focus:

1. When the spaceman hits the surface or cave roof/side, a little more impact/oof! might be good feed-back for the player to fly/jump/run more precisely/fine-tuned?
    2. The character is little stiff? the body could be heaving a little when standing still (gulping air/lactic deficit for a lack of a better description!) and the stance could reflect the angle of slope more?

Some of these small touches add even more atmosphere/sense of exploration? A game called Zool had wonderful response to running/leaping/hanging off cliffs etc

[Loved the concept of Spider, btw and found the controls very fun/fresh.]

18. David Tiger

Yeah, the gameplay preview is months old and pretty much all of the art has had multiple passes on it. We'll be doing a trailer immediately after we ship the game, so we can get people appropriately excited about the final product.

19. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I hope the game looks much better because, to be honest, I was a bit disappointed by the trailer. The animations lacked fluidity and the art was boring. I expected more from the creators of Spider - best game since app store came on line.