Android tablet gaming question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by awp69, Feb 12, 2013.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #1 awp69, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    Well, here it goes. I have a strong suspicion that my wife is going to get me either a Kindle Fire HD or a Nexus 7 tablet (I'd prefer the latter) for my birthday. I would, of course, like an iPad, but I can understand where she's coming from seeing the big price difference.

Unfortunately, she gets kind of upset if I want to take something back because it's just not "good enough". So, we'll see.

Anyway, from what I'm reading the Nexus would generally be preferred over the Kindle Fire in terms of easier access to more apps via Google Play (yes, I know you can do a sideways install to get 'em on your Kindle Fire as well).

One of my questions is looking at the stores, it really seems like Android has far less really "hardcore" games than the iOS, which bothers me. For those with Android tablets/devices, are you finding good games beyond the casual fare?

For instance, one reason why I'd prefer a newer iOS device is to play something like Arc Squadron (maybe that's a bad example of something "hardcore", but still something I can't play on my 3GS). But doesn't look like it's been ported to Android.

Is Android gaming really coming onto its own as far as gaming? And are there a decent amount of games pushing the boundaries of portable gaming? Exclusives?

2. No!!! Divorce!!! ;)

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Well, turned out I was right on the money on this one. Got a Nexus 7 for my BD. Really nice unit (and, of course, I'll keep my hands in iOS gaming via my phone). Sure, I would have loved an iPad 4. But I've got a 32 GB Nexus and am still very gratious for it.

Anyone know of any forums as good as this one for Android gaming?

4. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    First off happy birthday! :D

besides that, I hear droidgamers is a pretty good site. I don't think it has a forums section though. Anyways I do believe their are quite a few android exclusive games out there that might be worth checking out.

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks, I'll have to check that out. One thing that's annoying the hell out of me is Google Play's app store. If you think IAPs are sometimes unexplained in Apple's store, you can't seem to find anything about them in the Android store. Downloaded Galaxy on Fire 2 to see the Tegra difference. It says it's free but I know there's a pay wall in it. But I don't know how much. Very confusing.

6. So how are the games, post a screenshot from a game that is famous like Dead Trigger or a Gameloft or ea game, so we can compare if you get a chance, thanks!

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Well, you've got a far superior Dominion (deck building game) app, so there's that. And that I am genuinely jealous of.

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #8 awp69, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
    Well, so far I really like my Nexus . Great little tablet. But Android's gaming market is still far behind the iOS IMO.

Games like Galaxy on Fire 2 (Tegra version) and Asphalt 7 look fantastic, but I'm also coming from the non- retina 3GS.

But I have yet to find an exclusive game that sounds all that great (not really into deck building games, crunc). And had hoped that some of the iOS games that I couldn't play in my 3GS would be available on Android, but alas, none are there (there's really only a handful anyway). Arc Squadron was supposed to release on Android late last year but is still not there.

I knew Android's store as a whole lagged behind Apple's, but while most of the "big" hits have crossed over, there are many, many more that haven't.

I'll still enjoy the tablet (and my wife would be pissed if I wanted to exchange it towards even am older iPad). Just probably will still lean heavily in my 3GS for gaming until my next phone upgrade at least.

If anyone does have any Android game exclusives they'd recommend though, I'm all ears!

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Don't get over on these forums as much as I used to (work changed our web blocking to include TA :( ). But just wanted I say how getting an Android tablet has really made me realize how invaluable this forum is for iOS gamers.

There's nothing that I've found as far as an Android community even close to this. It's extremely difficult to find out about new Android releases let alone impressions of the games.

I'll be playing both sides still gaming on my 3GS and have found some good stuff on Android. But still will anxiously await my next phone upgrade.

10. Worked blocked TA? So what are we supposed to do at work then?
    Cigarette breaks? ;)