Any games offer multiple pay models?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ashmike3, Jun 9, 2016.

1. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    #1 ashmike3, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    Curious if any games offer the option to "choose your own pay model"? Buy the full game, or choose f2p with ads, or choose to have a timer etc... If there are any, how did it do in sales?

I saw that Neowars has a unique structure and it made me wonder why it has to be one way or the other. I understand game structure and design might be complicated, to be able to have multiple structures. Maybe too complicated.

2. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Loads of games are now running a F2P model with a premium unlock, but I think one of the best examples out there at the moment is Leap Day, by Nitrome. It's a platformer with checkpoints, which can be paid for using in-game currency (if you can collect enough) or by watching an ad - or you can unlock all checkpoints for a one-time premium purchase. I reckon Nitrome have absolutely nailed it with this one: it is a really good compromise between the formats.

3. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    I like the trend, if it is a trend. Played Neowars for a minute and there's does most options as well. They have a unique one, where a bar fills up as you play and watch ads to get "gear". When the bar is full it says it unlocks "paid version".