Should I get The Quest Gold, or The Quest HD? And why?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MorteTorment, Apr 9, 2017.

1. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Active Member

Feb 4, 2017
    So on one hand The Quest Gold from what I understand includes all of the expansions, but the The Quest HD is on sale right now and has these amazing aesthetics that really draw me in, and I'm hoping that it includes at least one of the main expansions, although it doesn't specify, and I'm not sure if it'll ever get all of the expansions.

Again, which do you think I should get, and why should I get it? thanks.

2. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    I must warn you that once iOS 11 be released,ALL 32 bit games/apps that were NOT updated to 64 bit versions will be ERASED from AppStore FOREVER with no way to purchase them in the AppStore ever again.

Due to the fact that all non-HD The Quest expansions are 32 bit,I'm suggesting you to get a device that you will not update to iOS 11 and buy ALL possible expansions for it,it will be enough for you for years,I still have 4 more expansions to beat.The expansions are worth it.

You wanna know why?Because the game is fun and awesome.Combat,puzzles,quest solving,exploration makes the game fun and awesome.
    I must warn you though,in most of the high-level expansions attack magic does not work,it pretty much becomes obsolete (but defense,healing magic and all other kinds of magic that are meant to protect you or buff you work well) , so yes,only melee and ranged weapons will work in high level expansions,but there are some exceptions such as paralyze - paralyze works on plenty of enemies in high-level expansions.

It is truly worth it,remember that once iOS 11 update comes out,everything will disappear except The Quest HD,Islands of ice and fire HD and Dragon's Jade just cause they were released when 32 but apps were not allowed to be put into the appstore.So do not miss your chance,I beg you.

3. MorteTorment

Feb 4, 2017
    Ok, so let me get this straight. The Quest games and all 32 bit games are going away from the app store foreever. Does that mean that I won't be able redownload them if I ever unintstall them?

Again this is question, not a statement. I'm asking this.

You see, I only have 16gb on my device, and if this is the case sadly my choice is made clear.

4. MorteTorment

Feb 4, 2017
    Aw man, was hoping to be able to make a decision tonight.

5. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    If a game has been updated in the last year or so, it has to support 64-bit per Apple's guidelines. The Quest Gold has not only been recently updated, it's even had new expansions released well past the cut-off for 32-bit. The games are good to go for the future.

As for your question:

The Quest Gold includes The Quest, The Island of Ice and Fire, and the first two parts of Hero of Lukomorye. There are many other expansions available for it, and while I know Zarista will want to bring some of them to the new engine, I doubt they'll bring all or even half. So that's something to consider.

The Quest HD, on the other hand, just includes the main game. You can currently buy Island of Ice and Fire HD to add onto it. Zarista has said they want to put Lukomorye on there, and their newest expansion, Thor's Hammer, will only be coming to the HD version. I imagine the same will go for any other future expansions they make.

The Quest and Island of Ice and Fire will easily keep you busy for almost 100 hours. It's a lot to chew on. All of the expansions for the regular version add hundreds of hours more. You can also play them standalone (and some of them are best enjoyed that way).

One important thing for memory concerns: once you've bought any Quest expansion for either version, you can load up the main app and activate the expansion from the main menu. Once you've done that, the expansion will be enabled in the main game and you can safely delete the expansion.

6. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Yes,TQG was recently updated so it must be 64 bit but most of the older expansions such as HOL,Horde,Asteroids were not so if you want to play them,you better buy them all until they disappear.
    Second,TQ and islands of ice and fire will not keep anyone busy for almost 100 hours,it's an exaggeration,unless you replay it,it's like 30 hours without replaying.

7. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    The code is still in play and RedShift has pushed updates for things as trivial as a barrel being out of place before. I'm quite sure they'll update the expansions if it means keeping them on the store. You can ask them, if you'd like. Elendil from RedShift is quite active around these forums.

And yes, I'm probably overshooting the playtime by a good chunk. I tend to replay RPGs a lot, so I think I get more time out of them than most. But 30 hours for both combined feels like undershooting. Either way, I think we agree that both apps are worth what they charge, no?

8. MorteTorment

Feb 4, 2017
    #8 MorteTorment, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    I thought aout it some more on my own. I rarely beat games, and I'll be lucky if I actually beat the vore game. Going for the HD version, since it's on sale.

Thanks regardless you two.

9. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Enjoy!

10. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Where are you getting this information?

11. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    #11 Catacomber, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Putting in Thor's Hammer as a Quest HD expansion for Steam right now. I imagine it will be ported to iOS and android. Will then work on our expansions starting with Luko I to port them to the HD version.

If everything works out, any new expansions will be made for the Quest HD. It would be too hard to put a game in for both the old and the new Quest.

I think Shaun gave you a good handle on what's the present status of both versions of the Quest.

I think Redshift may eventually phase out the old version if things get going expansion wise on the Quest HD as it would be too confusing to have the old and new out there. Just my thought on that.

Anyway, hammering out Thor's Hammer for the Quest HD and then Luko I and then Luko Ii and then.......we have about 15 expansions.

12. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    I had this same doubt, but when you look at the graphics on the HD version... it is a must. If you want, just buy the non hd expansions, as far as I know they are all stand-alone (please correct me if I am wrong on this, haven't checked the game in some months, so I don't remember correctly).