Best way to get professional reviewers to look at your games?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jonathanleek, Aug 22, 2011.

1. jonathanleek

jonathanleek Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Game Designer
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm from a small, relatively new company with 4 or so games under our belt. We've been fairly successful so far, but are having a hard time getting that initial exposure for our games. Is there a good way to get reviewers to look at/talk about your game?

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Make something noteworthy that would fit in with the content found on "professional" review sites. We don't review too many simple memory games, drinking games, or phone spinning games and I'm not sure what I could say about Peg Board aside from "It's a faithful adaptation of that game you play while you wait for your food at Cracker Barrel."

3. jonathanleek

jonathanleek Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Game Designer
    St. Louis, MO
    We're looking more at publicity for our next two games. Hazards is a competitive, location based game, and Motocross Sniper is going to be a combination motocross/sniper game (as the name implies) with asynchronous multiplayer capabilities. Ideally we would like to get publishers involved with one or both of them, but should that not work out, we'd like to have some plans for doing publicity on our own. Any advice?

4. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    1. Kidnap them and let them go after they reviewed your app
    2. Kidnap their family and ask for a review as a ransom
    3. Seduce them and ask for a review after the sex
    4. Gift them a Ferrari in exchange for a review
    5. Call them as Steve Jobs and tell them, that they have to review your app

Those area a few ideas. No clue if they work...

j/k oc

5. ImStrapped

ImStrapped Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011

Go with the 4, it works everytime!

6. Clockworkapps

Clockworkapps Well-Known Member

Seems like the best way to get noticed by reviewers is to have a smash hit app that is really popular. Funny how everyone wants to review your app after you take off...

(not my experience but from here.. http://struct.ca/2010/the-story-so-far/)

and the best way to be successful... well a good app... but also a free version!

7. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Not necessarily true.

We had a game being Nr2 in top overall worldwide for a month and featured by apple many times and no big review site was willing to review it.

Not just they didn't asked us, but even if we wrote them letters and sent them promo codes, they didn't even answer.

Some small guys had reviewed the app, but nobody was interested from the bigger players.

8. Clockworkapps

Clockworkapps Well-Known Member

That is crazy... I am going through it at the moment ... Sent of heaps of emails and get bugger all response...

9. jonathanleek

jonathanleek Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Game Designer
    St. Louis, MO
    That's more or less the situation we've been in, and I was looking for solutions before the release of our next games.

10. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    We were thinking of being creepy and sending pizza to different reviewer's workplaces but Hodapp's neighbors said they weren't in. Thankfully, "creepy pizza tactic 1(TM)" wasn't required for Pickpawcket ;)

11. Vetasoft

Vetasoft Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    #11 Vetasoft, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
    It's incredible how many website want to be pay for a review.

We are almost near the ferrari example...

Unfortunatly some website take the apple to seriously.

-You will not get any review if you're game is not popular
    -Dude, how my game is suppose tu be popular if is not expose?
    -You must contact websites and after you will get expose, get back later
    -Dude...just...take a look at the game
    -No, it's not popular and the community didn't know about your game
    -ok ok

or

-Can I have a review?
    -**no answer**
    -I have sent to you a mail 2 days ago about a review and...
    -**no answer**
    -Can I have the price for Ads?
    (5 minutes later) - Yes of course, price is, blabla, thank you and have a nice day sir

The funny part is that some website refuse to review a game because is unpopular but allow this game to be as an ads banner. It's like having ads of meats in a vegetarian magazine.

12. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    If only that were true. Our first game has over a million downloads and has been #1 in the strategy charts a few times. 25,000 user reviews have given it 4 or 5 stars.

We've so far had 4 reviews from the bigger "go to" sites and one of those fixated on an iPad 2 problem we had and marked it way down and won't re-score it, so only 3 are useful.

At least TA was one of the good guys. :)

13. ImStrapped

Mar 1, 2011
    #13 ImStrapped, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
    Thankfully, we've never had this problem. Somehow we've gotten an amazing response from the reviewers all over for our latest game DEO. Our first game on the other hand has never seen the light of the day lol.

14. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    I'm not exactly sure who your audience was for your first game. yeah, the name implies a game for children under 8, but the actual content isn't like that. Also, the biggest thing that made DEO stand out, for me, was the art. The art, in GGG, on the other hand, wasn't nearly as good, IMO.

15. ToySoldier

ToySoldier Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    The thing about getting coverage is that it involves building relationships. Those take time and are hard to keep up. PR is a hard and you have to keep thinking of unique selling points of a game.

16. ImStrapped

Mar 1, 2011
    The first game was just us trying to learn iOS lol. And I hope that we'll be able to change your mind with the upcoming update. Lot's is going to change...well except the art haha.

17. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    is TouchArcade only iOS or do they ever review Mac App Store games?

18. ImStrapped

Mar 1, 2011
    Just iOS. Once in a while they'll throw some random.

19. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Darn,

Hodapp mentions something "Noteworthy". My game can run 3d red/cyan, I guess thats old tech tho :p And its Mac App Store, DOH.