Testflight and the upcoming games forum

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by GlennX, Aug 10, 2016.

1. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    #1 GlennX, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    It's been a few years since I used these forums on a regular basis but they were invaluable back in 2009 when I released my first game Ground Effect and still pretty useful a few years later when we released Topia in 2012. These days I'm more of an occasional visitor so I have a few questions.

The game I'm working on is nearing completion. It's taken a while (long story), so long in fact that there is a three year old thread in 'upcoming games' that I posted pretty much as soon as I had the mechanic working. Would it be bad form to start a new one?

Is it worth asking for Testflight testers in that forum? We're at the stage of needing to gather analytics on level tuning. Back in the pre-testflight days this sort of worked. We found about 30 TA forum users prepared to sign up for testing and got very useful feedback from about three of them!

2. JeffWeber

JeffWeber Well-Known Member

Hey GlennX.

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you on the testflight forums. I guess you could always just give it a try.

As for your game. Looks really cool. Is this a Unity game? If so, how are you doing your "landscape"? Are you using an Asset like Ferr2D?

-Jeff

3. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    No, it's all hand rolled GLES2.0 with SDL2 to help out with the cross platform and Box2D handling the physics. The background is all done in a pretty simple custom shader. The tricky stuff was the strange bitmap to vector converter and distance field generation.
    TestFlight invites avaialble now if anyone is interesting. I'll post in upcoming games within the week.

4. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    Just googled Ferr2D. Very cool but I'm not working like that. I have a preprocessor that converts a monochrome low res antialiased image into a distance field for rendering purposes and also spits out optimised chains for Box2D.