iPad

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by deiden26, Jan 27, 2010.

?

What Do You Think of the iPad?

1. Great idea! I can't wait to get one

24 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Great idea, but it's not for me

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Horrible device, but it will make money

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. What a stupid idea! The iPad is going to fail miserably

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. This is a stupid device, but I must have one

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Good idea, but no one will actually buy it

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. I don't know about the device, but Apple is going to be laughing all the way to the bank

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. deiden26

deiden26 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    #1 deiden26, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
    Thoughts, comments, concerns, questions.

Personally, I think it looks great, but at the same time I feel like it is a slightly improved iPhone/iPod Touch. I mean, there is no multitasking, presumably no flash online, and all third party apps STILL need to go through the app store. I thought that this was supposed to be a touch-computer, not a large iPhone.

I also can't believe that they aren't including iwork with this. That would seem to me like a necessity if they want to make this thing competitive against pc notebooks...

I also also can't believe that the only physical port for it is the 30pin iphone/ipod connecter. Aren't usb ports a necessity by now? That's not even to mention firewire...

I also also also can't believe there is no camera for video chatting, video recording, or taking photos. This is fast becoming standard on computers....

I also also also also can't believe that they are calling the music player the ipod app. It's like they don't even want people to think of this as a computer at all...

That being said, the game playing portion of it looks pretty nice... If it can hook up to a mouse as well as a keyboard (doubtful) fps fans who don't like iPhone controls wouldn't have anything to complain about anymore...

2. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I am also surprised by the lack of camera, seems like a pretty standard feature on Apple's laptops. Maybe the CPU isn't as hardy when it comes to video conferencing?

3. one f jef

one f jef Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Pretty much just a gigantic ipod touch.

Which is ... AWESOME!!!!!!!

4. sk8erdude50

sk8erdude50 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    ya, well awsome comes at $500+, not so awsome anymore in my opinion. I just cant see what i can do with this. I mean, I wont allow my self to be caught outside my house holding this thing, with people around me thinking "lol wtf?" and maybe just a couple tech geeks thinking its cool. If I wanted to play games on a bigger screen than my iphone, I would play on my ps3, and if I feel like playing a fun little addicting game inside or outside my house, I would play on my iphone. I dont see why there has to be something in between, especially at such a high price. I thought that maybe it would get some sales if it had a lot of the features that laptops or netbooks include these days (usb ports, camera w/ video chat capabilities, flash plugins, etc.) combined with the features seen on the ipod touch, but it doesnt. Its really just an over sized ipod touch the way I see it. I just hope for the sake of the people buying this thing that it has the ability to be jailbroken because I heard that you have to pay again if you want the tablet version of your favorite idevice games.

5. Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona
    I've been soo excited for this device I was ready to buy it sight unseen. However, after the presentation I lost my zest for it. It's a sweet device to be sure but I have some issues with it:

1) 1.5 pounds seems kinda heavy-would really have to hold one to be sure

2) Storage capacity is all wrong. Should have been more like 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB-One of my big incentives to buy this was the assumed larger storage capacity :(

3) Pricing is a little disappointing. Sure the $499 price is great for the entry level one, but the higher end one is $699 for the same storage size as the $399 touch? Feels just a little bit too high. Where it really loses me is the $829 for the 3G version, which being a top end only kind of guy I would have to own.

Overall I felt underwhelmed after watching the event unfold. I think I'm going to wait till the 2G iPad to buy one in the hopes they make a larger capacity one.

6. sk8erdude50

sk8erdude50 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    o yeah, thats a good point, i forgot about the very low storage capacity it has, especially when compared to todays laptops and even ipods!

7. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
  8. deiden26

Sep 23, 2009
    #8 deiden26, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
    I feel like this initial one was really a miss for a lot of the reasons stated above. It just combines better/bigger hardware with slightly improved software at a much higher price! All of the flaws people have with the iphone and ipod touch are still there and there doesn't seem to be any market for it!

I am sure that they will make a profit because I am sure a large successful company knows how to produce and sell products better than I do, but still... I just can't see this one being that big of a hit. It will probably end up in the same category as the macbook air: Kinda cool but not practical enough to purchase.

Edit: Not to mention that the UI is still really bad when it comes to organization. There are no folders and there is no way to access files stored on the ipad except though apps built to run them.

The ipad, therefore, cannot be a computer, cannot be a gaming device (as others said, it would be ridiculous to use in public, but also way underpowered to compete with gaming devices at home), cannot be a camera (duh), and cannot be a phone (duh). It really isn't anything...

9. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
  10. salsamd

salsamd Moderator

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    The Macbook Air sells well, and fills a niche for many mobile professionals, and students...

11. deiden26

Sep 23, 2009
    Huh, I didn't know that. I have never met anyone who owns one. I guess I can't just rely on my personal experience...

12. salsamd

salsamd Moderator

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Connections.

Connections.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I think it looks great as a replacement for a small laptop. With the iWork apps and the improved main apps I could see this as replacing everything I use my laptop for. Of course there just isn't enough storage to hold tons of music or pictures, but this wouldn't be a primary computer. I think this could be really useful for students with the iBooks store and the small size. It looks like a super easy way to carry around every computerized thing you would need at a moments notice. I don't know if there is a market for this but I could definitely see myself using one in many ways.

14. AgentSimon

AgentSimon Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Male
    Game Designer
    Melbourne
    Personally I'd love one of these for home. No good for the office, but all I do at home on my laptop is use Facebook, read email and browse the web, and this thing looks perfect for that plus a whole lot more comfortable. I will definitely replace my home laptop for one of these if it has screen out so I can use it on my desktop as well as on the lounge and in bed.

15. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Lack of flash and USB (portable hardrive) really kill this device for me. Might get one for lil bro as a gaming dEvice but that's it

16. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    it looks really cool(then again, all apple products do:D), but it doesnt look very useful. just an expensive giant ipod without normal laptop features(NO FLASH?!). if i ever had one, i probably wouldnt use it very often. plus the games look really hard to play:p

17. Kartel

Kartel Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Piece of crap.

18. Greensheep

Greensheep Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    none at the time
    umm

ok yeah i do agree with some things. buuuuuuut they are going to include iworks btw. which makes it a bit more like a notebook. Apple is selling the product as a mix between a notebook and a smartphone idk kinda weird but if you want to see the entire rundown of the product go here engadget.com

19. Bucks

Bucks Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Student
    TouchArcade Supply Closet
    if devs start making apps specifically for this, i can only imagine their losses from ipod touch/iphone users.

20. AgentSimon

AgentSimon Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Male
    Game Designer
    Melbourne
    yeah not all iphone games look like they'd play that well on it. Soft D-pad gaming won't work too well with such large borders around the screen. I can imagine plenty of other games that will work on it though. We're going to bring Train Conductor to it.