How much will you spend on a game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Panda Rascal, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Panda Rascal

Panda Rascal Active Member

Feb 13, 2014
    When do you say you have paid enough? Is it when you download a paid game? or after a certain amount spent for in-app purchases? Also, around how much is your limit?

2. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Usually when I've paid for a game and downloaded it.

I never pay for consumable iap but I might considering buying restorable content or paying to remove adverts. Nothing else though

3. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I usually have no limit for expansion IAPs. For consumable IAPs, I only buy enough to make a pretence of playing the game, if it is one of those social games. If it is an offline game, I usually boycott the developer, coughFairway Solitairecough, thereafter forevermore...

4. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    That depends on the quality of the product and how much I think I will invest in it. But on IAP, almost nothing, specifically on consumables: nothing at all.

5. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I'd pay whatever price for a quality game and expansions/content DLC. Will never buy currency or other consumable IAP

6. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    For iOS titles I'll go as high as $5.99-9.99. Granted, I'm considered a "core gamer" so the titles I'm buying aren't bit-sized iOS titles, for those $2.99 is my upper limit really and they'd better have iCade support.

As far as IAP. I will never buy consumable IAP, freemium games are garbage; however, I have no limit on expansion IAP but even then I won't be nickel and dime'd one character at a time, give me a proper expansion.

7. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    I will buy coin doublers if I really like the game. Only consumable IAP I've ever purchased was for Heroes and Castles because let's face it, that game is AWESOME. As far as how much I will spend on an app I honestly don't currently have a ceiling if I think the game warrants it. Spent $20 on XCOM without thinking twice about it.

8. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Spent $300 on IAP on a single iOS game.
    Not at all regretful though, the game brought me so much joy for many, many months. Every penny was well spent, and it couldn't have gone to a more deserving developer as well.

Second most would be $70 ish on dragonvale.

If PC games are included, around $1000 on a certain MMORPG. I was only around 17 at that time. I do regret that one.

I've learnt from these experiences though, and am now extremely careful with my iOS spending habits, I think I would have spent at least around 3k total in the AppStore, but I've had an apple device since 2008 so.. Not too bad.
    Majority of that was on the past 2 - 3 years though.

Made a pact sometime late last year to reduce my spending drastically, so now I try to limit myself to only a few dollars per week max.
    My biggest problem is impulse buying on Wednesday nights, before impressions come in. So I now have a rule that I can only insta- buy 99c games, anything higher I must first set appzap to alert me for a sale.. Wait a few days, and if no sale, then I'll buy it at full price if I still want it.

I've made a special exception for tonight, and will be buying tengami at full price because it's legendary obviously.
    But generally, the plan works. I've only used 1 x $10 iTunes card this year so far.

It really is a form of a shopping addiction when people compulsively purchase games... It's a form of instant gratification, we tell ourselves it's alright because it's only a few dollars, but it really does add up fast.
    If we put the money in a piggybank instead, I'm sure we could have all gone on a pretty sick overseas trip by now.

9. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I find it hard to imagine a "deserving developer" who makes a game where you're even able to spend $300 on IAPs.

For me my usual limit for games I'm mildly interested in is 69p (aka $1). For games I really want then I push it to £1.50.

For games I really really want, I go to a few pounds. (So far that's been Magic the Gathering 2013 and 2014, Agricola and the Republique with the recent full game unlock price drop).

As far as IAPs go, my price range is as I described above for full game unlocks or genuine expansions. For anything consumable then I won't pay a penny.

10. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

For me, it really depends on the game. The gameplay, or how long it'll keep me busy, the amount of conent, how fun or amusing the game is, and finally the graphics. I don't really care about graphics usually unless they're really terrible.

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, I don't put a limit on what I spend. If I've got the money, and there's a game I really want, I'm gonna get it. Right now, I've got XCOM, FF6, The World Ends With You, FFT, Ravenmark, KOTOR and Warhammer Quest (which is probably the one game on the iOS that I've put more than $20 into) on my device right now. There's a few other $8-$12 games on there too... I'm not trying to brag, just trying to kind of say that my phone is my only gaming console, so I'm probably more willing to dump more money into it than others who own other gaming systems.

12. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Absolutely no limit on how much I'll pay for a game up front, as long as it meets my personal opinion ratio of value to cost.

As for IAPS, I don't mind spending any amount on expansions and content etc. Again, it has to meet my personal standard of value first but further content is always welcome when it adds to a game I enjoy. I'll also pick up ad remover IAPs to support the dev, I'm pretty patient so I don't actually have a problem with the ads themselves though.

I have no interest in buying consumable IAPs though. There are plenty of great freemium games in my opinion but I don't see the point in buying something I could unlock through further play - seems to defeat the point of playing a game in the first place.

13. Panda Rascal

Feb 13, 2014
    I see, I do like those adverts removed also. hahaha!

14. Panda Rascal

Feb 13, 2014
    I see. If it will be an expansion, make it a REAL expansion not just some new tidbit part of the game. That's a thing to remember. Thank you for you input! :)

15. Panda Rascal

Feb 13, 2014
    Good points and I agree, most apps currently in the store are just there to populate the store, not really of quality.

16. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    For iOS, up to 10 bucks without IAP. Anything with IAP, max $5. Episodic content is an exception. Console and handheld, gimme em collector's eds!

17. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Probably no more than $10. Just being honest

18. Panda Rascal

Feb 13, 2014
    Good for you man! I have yet to develop a good way to moderate my spending in games.

19. Panda Rascal

Feb 13, 2014
    I understand. As long as you know what you are buying and sure that its worth it, spend away. Thanks for sharing! :)

20. Panda Rascal

Feb 13, 2014
    Is this on a per game basis? regardless of pay to play, IAP, or both?