Improve search function

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Ph4ntom4, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Ph4ntom4

Ph4ntom4 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    #1 Ph4ntom4, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
    I know there is another thread on search, but this brings up a totally different point.

Often when I search for an app name, the actual thread with the app name in it's name is on the 2nd or third page. There are lots of results which don't have any mention of the app name in the thread title, and somebody probably mentioned it somewhere in the thread itself.

Surely threads with the search criteria in the titles should appear first on the list. Also, I know you can only search the thread title from advanced search, but many people won't use advanced search and only use normal search and it will appear as if no thread has been made on the subject.

Examples:

Free Memory - Top of 2nd page

------------

... Hold on, after writing that and searching a bit more, I found that search results are actually sorted by date rather than relevance to the search terms. This means that any thread with even a mention of one of the search terms will come before a dedicated game thread if it has been posted sooner?

I think this needs to be fixed.

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    That link doesn't work. Says "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. "

3. Ph4ntom4

Ph4ntom4 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Sorry it's fixed now. Anyway it was only an example o_O

4. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Male
    Product Designer/Mobile Game Developer
    PA, USA
    #4 nickels, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
    This site is a vbulletin board. Unless they add in some extension I don't think you can really code in upgrades like that. These boards are flexible, but I don't know how much tweaking can be done to the built in functions like searching. I think you just need to learn how to do advanced searches or use better terms.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/search.php?searchid=319794

Top of results.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/search.php
    Change the dropdown from "Search Entire Posts" to "Search Titles only"
    Problem solved.