Card Hunter by Blue Manchu

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Keithustus, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Keithustus

Keithustus Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Strange, there isn't yet a thread or news post for Card Hunter. Well, here's some basic info and links...

http://images.bbgsite.com/news/2011/07/21/card_hunter_01.jpg

What is Card Hunter?

Card Hunter is a brand new collectible card game that you play online. It’s free to play and you collect your cards by playing against the game, not by buying booster packs.

Create your adventuring party, explore dungeons, collect loot and then battle other players online!

Coming soon to an internet browser near you! Card Hunter will be playable in a browser using Flash. We hope to provide a downloadable client as well. We are also looking at iOS and Android tablet versions.

Watch the trailer: http://www.cardhunter.com/2011/07/the-trailer/

We’re Blue Manchu, a group of industry vets trying something new and different. We’ve got decades of experience on all kinds of games.

We are:

Richard Garfield
    Design consultant. Created Magic:# The Gathering, which you may have heard of.

Jonathan Chey
    Game designer and programmer. Co-founder of Irrational Games, director of development on BioShock, producer of System Shock 2 and designer of Freedom Force. Cut his chops at Looking Glass where he worked on Thief and Flight Unlimited 2, and wrote 5 lines of code for Terra Nova.

Farbs
    Indie slacker and programmer. Formerly of Irrational Games, concurrently of Farbs Farbs Farbs. Responsible for ROM CHECK FAIL, working on the Captain Forever series.

Dorian Hart
    Game designer and Dungeon Master extraordinaire. Veteran of Irrational Games and Looking Glass Studios. Game credits include: Ultima Underworld II, System Shock I and II, Thief and BioShock among others.

Ben Lee
    Art director and executive vice president of laundry services. While at Irrational Games, used his super-powers to create the art for Freedom Force and many other games. “I TOLD YOU NO STARCH!!!”

Tess Snider
    Free range programmer. Previously of Trion Worlds and Imaginary Numbers. Until now, has had her name misspelled in all of her game credits, including Rift.

Luke Carruthers
    Founder of several internet companies, including Magna Data, inter-touch, and The Reading Room, returning to the games industry like the arms of a well-loved mistress.

Kevin Kulp
    Long time GM and game designer with credits that include Wizards of the Coast, Green Ronin, Paizo Publishing, EN World Publishing, and a bunch of other folks who make kickass RPGs. Once won “Best DM” for three years running with Gen Con’s RPGA, something he doesn’t usually admit when trying to get to know people. People might think he’s obsessed.

And introducing:

Skaff Elias
    Design consultant. Magic designer and founder of the Magic pro-tour.

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #2 Misguided, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    Keithustus, you've answered your own question here. I just lost a beautifully eloquent (I'm sure) post so I'll try for the tldr version.

I love the old school D&D feel. Love the way your deck is built based on the items you choose (both mechanically and thematically).

I think Card Hunter has the potential to achieve Ascension-levels of popularity in the community because of the way it will appeal to fans of different genres. Key to that would be an app that actually feels like an iOS game, not simply a shoddy portal to the online version (see the response to the recent launches of Dominion! Thunderstone, and other Facebook portal apps).

If Blue Manchu were to announce an iOS version of Card Hunter, I think you'd get a vigorous response here. Heck I hardly play anything on PC that isn't an MMO (or Borderlands 2), but I'll be all over this from day 1.

3. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I'm actively following Card Hunter development, and it does look amazing but the iOS version isn't a reality now, just a possibility.

Not the same thing, but if you are up for some tabletop experience on your iPad (or even iPhone) try conclave.com.

4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
  5. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    You're not kidding!

6. D4rgolf

D4rgolf Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2011
    @Keithustus:

This game looks amazing. I espescially love the detailed comic-book-style. And the gameplay kinda reminds me of a mash-up of the D&D tabletop and one of my favouites, Munchkin, which is a big plus as well.
    I have two questions though:
    1.) I didn't really get this from the trailer: will the game only offer PvP and PvAI, or will there also be some Co-Op?
    2.) When you are considering a iOS port, do you only have the iPad in mind or is there a possibility of an iPhone- (or even universal) version? I understand that it would be harder to display some stuff on the tinier screen, but it sure would allow for a seriously enhanced multiplayer experience, as the iPhone is the device most of your players will be near most of the time.

7. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    The game is first and foremost a single-player game, according to the website, but there will also be multiplayer, and eventually, co-op/group modes. Given that you control multiple characters, asynchronous co-op should work well.

8. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Looks like it's confirmed that Cardhunter will be coming to tablets.

http://dropforge.com/card-hunter-press-release/

I'd assume that iPad would be a supported tablet...

9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Amazing! But want it more for iPhone and it would fit.

10. RLennon

RLennon Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Ummm. Holy Snikies!!!

Must have IPad version. Must let wife and kids know that they won't be seeing much of me when this comes out.

Cannot wait

11. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Will our Card Hunter accounts carry over from PC to iPad? It's no great hardship starting again but losing some of my awesome kit I've found would sting!

Can't wait to get this on iPad, I only stopped playing it on PC so I wouldn't ruin it for myself when it made the move to tablet!

12. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and sat that we can assume that they will, since everything is saved on their server. Just like you can log in and access your CH account from any PC, I'd assume that the mobile version will have the same access.

13. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    That's certainly my hope but just thought I'd ask and see if anyone knows for sure. Makes sense for it to do so.