one week, only 85 download,please help

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by fwish, Aug 11, 2009.

1. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

my game is shark's treasure,ready for sale in 8.1

here is the link

here is the detail

till now, only 85 copy saled.

I sent promo code to many sites. got no reply

I gave out 20 codes here,got 5 reviews in return.(thanks)

I knew I made some mistakes,such as the grammer error in tips which will be fixed in next update.because those tips, I hide the lite version.

I want to know the truth,I thought I provide a unique gameplay experience ,

but,is it just my imagination?

is this game that bad?

can I do something to improve it?

is it totally wrong to use accelerometer to contorl?

if it worth promoting,what ealse can I do? how can I let TA to review it?

or if it worthless,should I try to move on, forget about it?

sorry for my poor english, hope you can understand me.

I just need some advise.thanks a lot

2. Mathieu

Mathieu Well-Known Member

We got a similar 2d game with Penguins Invasion, we put a lot of efforts to contact every major websites but only one made a review. We even offered a 100$ contest.
    First week we sold only 30 units...

So with 5 reviews and 85 sales, it's bad but not thaaat bad ;)

Making a LITE version may help your sales.

3. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    your game doesn't look bad. you are just a victim of the times (welcome to the club!) There is an avalanche of software coming out these days. If your screenshots look anything short of spectacular, then it's very hard to get anyone to pay it any mind. $1.99 is the icing on the cake - anything not free instantly gets thrown in the collective "meh" pile.

all you can do is put the word out the best you can, try to make something with a great name, with impressive screenshots, make a profound effort to show a strong YouTube vid, follow up your release with a lite version and further (better quality) releases - at the very least, this is what must be done to make any impact on the iPhone scene nowadays. Simply putting together a good game and releasing it is no longer enough.

Good luck!

4. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Ugh, iphonetech78 got a code?

It's basically a description of the game and if he thought it was good or not, to be honest.

5. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Can't agree more with what has already been said in this thread. The App Store is just reallly crowded. A long time ago, you only need a farting app or a flashlight to make money. Now even a fully-functional polished game can't make it big because there are already many other games like it.

I think you need to either introduce something radical in the gameplay (make it more interesting somehow) or just move on to your next game. I really hope its not the latter option that you're left with :(

6. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

lite version is in review now

your website looks great,can how about Penguins Invasion sales now,better or worse ?

7. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

thanks headcaseGames and Prab

I will try to improve my game frist,make some updates,see what will happen

but somebady said,it's 50% on game,50% on marketing, is that ture?
    for indev,how can I afford to do some Marketing?

or just wait lucky come to my head? I don't believe so

8. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    If iphonetEchguy said it, then no, probably not. He's just a kid most likely :rolleyes:

9. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    First, I wouldn't say 50% game, 50% marketing.

More accurate would be to say:#downloads = visibility * appstoreimpression Impression includes placement in top lists, a distinctive icon/title, and your primary screenshot. User reviews are another part of that impression. Bad reviews are the mark of death, so be glad you haven't gotten any yet.

I hate to say it, but your 85 downloads in the first week may end up being your best week ever, no matter what you do on the marketing front. There are plenty of comparable games that have actually done worse than that. What kind of numbers were you expecting?

I would offer some advise:
    - when looking at your game as described in the app store, it's really hard to get a sense of what the gameplay is like. It uses accelerometer, and involves dodging sharks and getting treasure, but it isn't clear if it's more of a puzzle or an arcade game.
    - the graphics look ok, but they are nothing spectacular that make it stand out in the crowded appstore. The average shopper is extremely visual. A mediocre game with incredible graphics will tend to do much better than a deep game with poor graphics.
    - if choose to advertise, please be careful and realistic about your expectations. You could easily spend more for adversing than you'll gain in visibility/increased downloads.
    - lite version will increase visibility, but risks hurting sales of the full version if you give too much away. Lite versions are also a magnet for bad reviews

10. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    +1 on that. Lite versions are more double-edged than magical

11. HappyFuntime

HappyFuntime Active Member

I agree that screenshots are huge, probably the biggest factor that I personally use for determining if I give a game a second look. Video is just as important, it's a surefire way to find out (approximately) what you can expect from the gameplay.

12. Mathieu

Mathieu Well-Known Member

We got 1 or 2 sales / day for weeks. We changed the price from .99 to 1.99 and the sales are a little better. Go figure! :D

13. Ddyracer123

Ddyracer123 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    @fwish like the guy said above my advice would be bring the game down to a dollar and try to take more exciting screen shots. This sorts reminds
    me of my dad,(I'm gonna get a bit of topic) he has
    two books out, one on Twitter the other I think on photopreneur. Anyway one of his
    his books sold about a 100 copies (in a month)
    and the other only sold 10 in a month. He has aboustly NO idea why and can't figure it out. I mean, he advertsed it on twitter,plus amazon and other places. Anyway, I don't know if this is really related to your problem BUT, perhaps both have the same problem, people aren't imtersted or it doesn't catch their eye;).

Anyway, hopefully lowering the price might work.

14. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    One of my games sold 30 the first week, the other one sold 300 the first week. It really varies game to game.

15. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    i dont think a price drop would help yoursales much so i would keep it at the same price. the problem is that the games doesnt sound very appealing. there have been a few variations on this type of game before and its not the type of game that people would be flocking to buy. if you really wanted to put some more work into the game and make it stand out i think it would be cool to add some elements to enhance the game play like maybe having other fish with different sort of behaviours that you can take advantage of to help you out. like sordfish that dart at you when you enter their line of site and if you dodge they can spear other fish or somthing. or maybe a little dangly lightbulb attached to the sub like an angler fish so that you can lure other sea creatures with and capture them with cables. you can get like turtles with it and swing em around to bonk sharks or break walls. i do admit that the graphics you have are really good so i can imagine all sorts of cool stuff in that environment that you created. but you should really think of whast people would find enjoyable that you can add. because i really cant imagine me having fun just collecting treasure and avoiding sharks 100 levels i would most likely be bored after about 17 levels

16. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

thanks for the advise,in the game, total 3 kind of shark, each has it's own behaviour,also three subs,maybe replace one shark with another sea creature? 110 levels,with easy, normal, hard and crazy,you can start with what level you like, and if you want more,try challenge mode.
    but yes, adding someting cool sure will make the game better

about the price, I maybe drop it for a while when the new update come,is that ok?

17. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    i dont think there's anything wrong with it. There's just a ton of games like that so you need heavy marketing or word of mouth.

toucharcade is not the right market for a game like this because the games people here are playing are pretty cutting edge.

18. Hug_a_Panda_Ben

Hug_a_Panda_Ben Active Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Janitor
    California
    That's good advice...it's kind of sad, but I think that's just the harsh reality as the iPhone space gets more and more crowded. It's kind of like fast food businesses...sure we could go out and start a brand new fast food franchise...but with all the competition you would really need something spectacular to get any notice and get people in the door...but when things are scarce people are more willing to try...

19. Hug_a_Panda_Ben

Hug_a_Panda_Ben Active Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Janitor
    California
    Hey @Fwish, more piece of advice I'll add to the bucket is that the screenshots on yoru homepage are a little small...and probably not the best laid out. I thought I could click on them to make them larger, but I couldn't...

I know most people like viewing games via iTunes, but I can't stand it...I like to check out the game's website as I'm hoping there would be some video or additional screenshots (since the app store limits you).

20. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

en, a great name to be remember

that's a little bit hard for non-english dev like me

so, shark's treasure is not a good name? any advise ?

I plan to make a video, but game like this need to shake the device often,I need to find a camera, right?