How will games will look on the ipad in 2X fullscreen unmodified?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cranker, Feb 12, 2010.

1. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal
    Just wondering.

2. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
  3. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Depends on the graphics. If an image is already at a high resolution, then there wont be any quality degradation when displayed on the iPad. Same goes for vector graphics, if any. For the rest, itll look blurry; as an approximation, just take any image and zoom in to double the size.

So in conclusion, if a game has a mixture of all 3 types of graphics above, the result will be quite nauseating lol

4. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well from what I gathered from the announcement, the games will generally look a little bit worse, but not much.

Of course, if the game is designed with the iPad in mind, or for the iPad itself, then it's all good.

5. I'm trying to imagine hook champ... :D

6. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
  7. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

From what I've read the iPad does do some anti-aliasing to the game, so that'll help. It'd be like playing a PS1 title on the PS2 with the graphical smoothing option enabled.

On the other hand it would be fairly easy for the dev to simply let Open GL do the upscaling, which would likely look much better.

8. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    My father was showing me some pretty cool stuff with graphics these days. Now he's the computer expert but he showing me simple image that he had coded and he was able to increase and decrease the size of the image with hardly any resolution loss. So you can have one image file for an image instead of having multiple files of the image in different sizes. From what I've tried to figure out I think this is how the coding works for iPhone apps

9. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    Here's where texture filters might come handy. However, most iPhone games probably don't use textures with a higher resolution than needed for the HVGA resolution (320 x 480).
    Therefore I expect that most native iPhone games will loose a bit in quality when run on an iPad without modifications - whether there's antialiasing anabled or not.

Btw, can't wait to get my iPad. ;)