Experienced Freelance Artist- Open for paid projects.

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by Decker, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Decker

Decker Member

Jan 16, 2010
    #1 Decker, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
    Hello to you All,

My name is Sean K. Dunkley and I've been a digital illustrator/concept artist and art director in the games industry for over 7 years. My area of expertise is in 2D game assets. Anything ranging from logo/interface design, to characters and backgrounds I am very comfortable with.

What I am currently looking for: Paid projects and contracts for game art assets, anywhere from conceptual to actual production.

Previous Projects [Updated List on 11th Jun 2010] :

[​IMG]
    Castaway (Flash Browser) - Art Director, Game Co-designer, Lead character and background artist.
    -Samples of what I did-

[​IMG]
    Sally's Studio (PC, Mac) - Initial Art Director and interface layout
    -Samples of what I did-

[​IMG]
    Olivia Paints (iPod) - Art Director and Interface Design.
    -Samples of what I did-

[​IMG]
    Raging Dead (iPod) - Interface design and marketing assets.
    -Samples of what I did-

[​IMG]
    Sally's Quick Clips (PC, Mac) - Art Director and Interface Design.
    -Samples of what I did-

[​IMG]
    Sally's Spa (iPod, PC, Mac) - Art Director and Lead artist.
    -Samples of what I did-

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sally's Salon (PC, Mac, DS) - Art Director and Lead artist.
    -Samples of what I did-

[​IMG]
    Word Web (PC, Mac) - Lead artist.

[​IMG]
    Mah-Jomino (PC, Mac) - Art Director and Lead artist.

[​IMG]
    Scurge: Hive (GBA, DS) - Art Director and Lead artist.

Please feel free to ask any questions here or at: [email protected]

Or you may visit my site at: [​IMG]

2. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Very impressive portfolio. I took a look at your site, but was curious if you had some pixel art / iPhone game samples (or maybe I missed it)? I'm familiar with a few of the games in your post, but it's always help to see the art that you worked on outside of the game itself.

3. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Amazing portfolio! Any estimates for an average game's art assets?

4. HappyPixelBen

HappyPixelBen Member

Jan 18, 2010
    wow...you must be rich.

5. AdriVetasoft

AdriVetasoft Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Game Designer
    Belgium
    Very nice portfolio, love your arts !

6. Decker

Decker Member

Jan 16, 2010
    #6 Decker, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
    I've added a few more links to some art assets I've assembled to hopefully give a better idea of what I have done :}

Thank you :D Estimates can vary wildly depending on the scope of the project and what you want me to do. A simple image falls under the 100 dollar range. While, say, designing a background tile system and all the tiles (+ variants) can easily go into the above $1000 range.

The advantage of being paid salary is that you get paid the same even if the project flops. The disadvantage of being paid salary is that you get paid the same even if the game does phenominally well...
    I only made the games for GamesCafe and ran their art teams, I didn't own the company :{.

Your compliments are most appreciated.

7. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Sean just finished off some GUI work for one of my upcoming games. I really love the work and definitely the best GUI so far amongst any of my games. He also goes the extra mile and explains his theory behind the composition which is really helpful to me.

8. Decker

Decker Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Thank you Wally for the above recommendation, it's been a pleasure working for you as well :]

I have now completed a batch of contracts, and would like to state that I am open for about 2-3 new projects. Please drop me a pm or send inquiries to [email protected]

9. HappyPixelBen

HappyPixelBen Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Thanks for answering my question, I'm only 13 but I was wondering if being a freelance artist could be a career. I want to be like you when I get older. :D

10. Kaos999

Kaos999 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Australia
    You were the lead artist on Scurge Hive? I loved that game!

11. Decker

Decker Member

Jan 16, 2010
    No problem Ben :] Glad I could be of help. Freelance as a career is sweet, but you have to be as good with networking as you with actual art, i'm sure you'll find your niche as you develop.

Awesome, and thanks :D ! Yeah, we were a team of neophytes back then, had a lot of ideas but learnt about harsh realities. Regardless, we were all proud of the final product. I'm also glad to say that most if not all of my cohorts have moved on to greener pastures in the developer industry. Infact, my old colleague and good friend Dan [who designed the Scurge boss fights and helped assemble the levels] designed and spearheaded "Sigma". Ain't that right Dan ;} ?

12. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I'll second that -- Scurge was a TERRIFIC title. It deserved a lot more recognition than it received. You can count me among your fans.

13. Kwakkie

Kwakkie Active Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Nice work! I also played Scurge, I really liked the new ideas it brought to the table!

Are those enemies in the castaway screenshots made by you? Because I have seen them before in a tower defence game called 'Ultimate Defence' as well, better watch out if people arent ripping your graphics (or vice versa).

14. HappyPixelBen

HappyPixelBen Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Could I send you some of my work? (even though I dont have much :p)

15. Decker

Decker Member

Jan 16, 2010
    All this Scurge love is bringing back memories. Thanks again you guys :D

And good eye, I didn't do the enemies for Castaway and so Mike [at Likwidgames] used the same ones he had in his other games. He brought me on board the project after another artist didn't work out for him. If I had more time I would have wanted to replace them, but I agreed with Mike in that we'd rather ship Castaway as is and try a new project [I'll be posting some updates on that soon :} ]

Sure, send your art my way or link me to your online portfolio :]

16. Decker

Decker Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Hello folks :D!

I has been a really busy few months with a few tandem projects but everything is wrapping up now. Going to update my game portfolio very soon.
    I'm just refreshing my topic to indicate that I have an empty 2 week cycle and looking for a fun project. Testing the waters for any potential UI or illustration contracts.

Please drop me a note/message if you are interested :]

17. Decker

Decker Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Resurfacing

Hi Folks!

Summer has already sneaked by as I raise my head from the current project cycle. I'm opening up some time slots in case anyone here has some work needed done.

As always, I am open to both Illustration and Interface Design contracts. You can check my current completed project list HERE!

Cheers,
    Sean