Would you be more likely to buy a game that has more updates?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by BOWB4ZOD, Mar 26, 2009.

?

Would you be more likely to buy a game that has more updates?

1. YES

53.6%
  2. NO

7.1%
  3. MAYBE, DEPENDS ON THE GAME

39.3%
  4. WHAT'S AN UPDATE?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BOWB4ZOD

BOWB4ZOD Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Director, Producer, Editor
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey Guys,

Just a quick question here.

Do you find yourself checking to see if a game has been updated before buying it? Would you be more likely to buy a game that has more updates?

I recently found my self checking how many times a game has been updated before I buy it. It seems now I am more likely to buy a game if:

1) it interests me
    2) the price is right
    3) it got good reviews
    4) it has been updated a few times since it was released

BTW. i check to see when and if a game has been updated using AppSniper's graph feature.

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    That's why I got pocket god.

3. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    In general, yes, but this is on a case-by-case basis. Everything you mentioned especially reviews makes a difference. Take the case of Asphalt 4 where the update arguably ruined the controls. You take all that into consideration before you buy.

4. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Then why didn't you vote for "depends on the game"? lol that goes with exactly with your statement :confused:

5. CP1789

CP1789 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    me too. the only reason i got Pocket God because they update it frequently which makes it interesting. its the App that keeps on giving. i buy apps if the interest me and get updates. I bought lightriders becuase they said they would update it to have 3D view and stuff. It was like an investment that didn't pay off yet

6. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Sorry, I thought I did...did my click register with the wrong choice? All this hard living must be getting to me :p

7. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    For me, sometimes if (not in the case of Pocket God) it really needs to keep getting updates, that means that it was not a quality game at release, and I don't necessarily want to get it.

8. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I buy first and ask questions never :D

9. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    YES YES YES AND YES!!! I practically only buy games that update frequently, and that is why i hate EA and Gameloft. Updates are key...

10. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    I don't like how this question is asked. I mean, I love the fact that updates bring more features and bug fixes.

But I do like complete games too. Actually complete games are probably more fun to me than an unfinished game.

11. Christopher

Christopher Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    I am more likely to buy applications and games which are updated more often than not because it shows me the developer is committed to their work. I also check an application's history before making a purchase and I may be willing to take a risk on an unfamiliar application or game (from an independent developer or otherwise) if I feel any feedback regarding feature requests or bugs will be taken under review. It seems to me that oftentimes WYSIWYG with games released by some of the largest developers and/or publishers on the App Store. My $0.02.

12. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    If I pay $8 or $10 for a game, I might expect some frequent updates, unless the game is something fairly static like an adventure game. However, if I pay 99 cents for a game, I could care less if they update it unless there's something preventing me from playing it. I think this unreasonable expectation that most App Store shoppers have that a developer should basically just write one game and support that for the rest of their lives is getting ridiculous. Nobody expected this prior to the advent of the iPhone and the App Store, so why do people expect it now?