Jumping from itouch 3g to 4g worth it?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jeffmd, Mar 27, 2012.

1. jeffmd

jeffmd Active Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I am able to net a new itouch 4 32gb for $242 and am pretty sure I can sell my 3g with mint screen for a little over $100 bringing the total upgrade cost to around $140. I use my touch for music and gaming and I have a phone that does have hotspot capability for wireless internet, but use the phone for browsing cause they have the same displays and the hotspot can be finicky.

I have poured over every aspect of this device and my main draw to it would be for better gaming. While the retna display would be a huge increase in resolution, I have been pretty worried about the 256mb of memory and the fact that it uses the same video chip, clocked a little bit higher, then the 3g. Any pc gamer will tell you that increasing the resolution of a game on the same video card always nets a fps loss, and simply overclocking the card doesn't fix that. I am also abit put off by the camera being totally inferior to the iphone 4g. However it is hard to ignore that the 4g phone is still roughly 3x the cost of the itouch.

Unfortunately the one type of comparison review that I am looking for I can't seem to find. I am looking for any comparison testing of framerates (either with fps counters or just by commenting on a games smoothness or chopiness) between a game played on the 3g and 4g, and to find out if game perform worse, the same, or better.

I am wondering if it's worth spending money on the upgrade or if I should stick with the 3g and hit up the "real" 5g when ever it is announced.

2. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I'd say wait. It wont be too long of a wait for #5

3. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Frame rate wise, I'd say the performance between the 3G and 4G is fairly close. At least, I can't think of an instance where I perceived an issue, and I'm extremely touchy about frame rate in general. That aside though, there are numerous other issues with the 4G, mainly to do with crashes and generally slow performance due to (I suspect) the limited memory resources. With that in mind I'd strongly advise against the 4G. I think it was at best a short-sighted release from Apple. Stick with the 3G until a better alternative is available.

4. soggy

soggy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    Yeah, I'd wait for the five. I think you ought to sell your 3g now though so that the new release doesn't drive it's value down.
    You're also right about iPod 4 not being much more powerful than 3. 5 is going to be great, if you upgrade now I think you'll end up regretting it.

5. jeffmd

jeffmd Active Member

Nov 19, 2010
    No way I would sell my 3g if I didn't bother with the 4g. ^^ I still need one of them. Guess I'll just survive with the low res now unless I fall into lots of money for a 4s.