Merging all posts in 1 thread doesn't work!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by menom, Mar 11, 2009.

1. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    [Deep Breath] Okay, I know that Blake, Arn and the admins here have decided to keep all posts on any given app in one thread as a way to keep things simple - but I reckon with the numbers visiting and posting here now it makes thing less - rather than more approachable.

I sometimes see a thread on a game that I've yet to research - but when I see it's at 100-200 posts already I usually just decide not to bother looking as I'm not inclined to wade through so may pages to sort the good posts from the chaff

I recognise the reason for keeping all on one app within each thread - but that doesn't really result in stopping duplicate posts and repetitive questions as the posters in mega-threads don't seem to have read every single one of the previous posts before posting their own ideas

I think allowing multiple posts on apps makes it easier to weed out the crap and encourages interest in existing apps - whereas one single thread simply reiterates that an app is 'old already' when it's often just a week or two old

just a thought ...

2. gac

gac Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    I agree!

I totally agree with this!
    It turns me off when I'm reading a long thread and someone makes a comment about another post deep in the thread. Then I have to go back through 10 pages to get the context.

3. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Maybe threads can have tags? And the tags can contain game title, publisher, or devs.

So, in any threads about Zen Bound, there would be: Zen Bound, Frand and Chillingo. And when people want to find related threads about Chillingo, they can simply click the 'Chillingo' tags, and that would bring up threads related to all Chillingo games: Zen Bound, iDracula, BoD, etc.

This way we can have separate threads but still organised?

4. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    I sorta agree. But I don't want 10 threads on ONE game all talking about the SAME thing.

5. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    i understand you guys but i also believe that this is the best way to keep this place clean.

6. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    yeah - I can see the reasoning in not getting the forums cluttered by multiple threads on apps but sometimes something useful on an App - like a new update - seems appropriate to post a new thread which is more likely to give people a heads up than just one more post on an established thread

that's what I did last night re the Wordsworth app which has been updated with global high scores etc

was gonna put it in the old thread but then thought no - without the new thread title like "Wordsworth update adds global high scores" it'll be lost there and assumed to be a post re previous stuff

either way it's not a major deal and theses boards are way ahead of any others I've subscribed to - it's just the nature of this new realm of iPhone apps is causing us all probs through the high number of announcements coming through every day

7. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    i think that every update of a single game deserves an own thread.

8. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    yeah, I think major updates should get a new thread.

So how about this.

- Upcoming Thread until the game is released. Then post a new thread for New Game
    - Game thread until a major new version (new features, not just bug fixes), then start a new one

?

arn

9. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    cool. and

-Game tips and walkthough. one thread.
    -Maybe if needed ONE help thread for the game.

10. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    No, only major updates deserve its own thread.

Basically anything that talks something quite different can have its own thread, things like strategy, suggestions, high score. But all general or minor things should be merged with the main thread.

11. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    That sounds pretty near perfect - hope it doesn't make all the more work for you guys

PS. Apols for lag in reply - went down to Pub to watch Champions League football - lucky today is day off:D