Everybody Loves Cake (Flowerpot Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ebartley, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Hi Everyone!

About a month ago I started work on a new game that I thought you'd like - because Cake! I've been told countless times that when you make a game, make it something you're passionate about. I took that advice with a previous game called 'Pancakes!!!' and I''m doing it again.

Some of the things I'm passionate about include geek stuff like R/C Helicopters and computers with a large mix of tropical fish, beer, coffee, pancakes, and baked goods like bread, cake, brownies, and cookies. So this time I thought it'd be fun to pick a Cake theme.

Here is a development screen shot from the iPad mini:
    Cake!!!.jpg

I'll share videos and more screen shots as I make progress.

Game Play
    In this game the Chef at the top walks across the bakery and throws layers of cake, filling, and frosting across the bakery to the chef at the bottom. You control the chef at the bottom, moving him left or right across the bakery (think Sky Burger, <3 NimbleBit) using tilt or touch controls and try to stack the layers on top of each other.

To complete a level you'll have to catch different layers in different quantities. Points are given for catching the needed layers and you'll get bonus points for catching the layers in a certain order.

Power Ups
    I'm also thinking of a selection of power ups that could somehow affect the stack of cake layers or the throwing chef in interesting ways like a "Sticky Floor" power up that makes the throwing chef move slower. I could use some sweet suggestions if you have any ideas :)

Name
    I'm not totally sure what to name it. I'm thinking 'Cake!!!', or 'Super Cake Brothers', or 'Cake Brothers', or 'Super Cake Catch" or something like that.

Release Date and Platform
    'Pancakes!!!' took about 3 months to make so I think 3 months is good for this game too. Stuff can and will go wrong so I don't have a solid release date yet but I'm about a month into this game. I'm not sure if the game will be paid or free with ads or IAP. I like to make a fun game first and worry about that stuff later.

I plan to release the game for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.

Ed

2. Here is a short video showing one of the animations in the game. This intro screen tells you what cake layers you need to collect in this particular round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB0R5UcOGEU

I'm not totally happy with the HUD being on the right side. Maybe the left side would be better?

Ed

3. I think we've settled on a name for the game, Super Cake Bros.

What do you think?

4. Here is a screen shot of some of the Power-Ups. I'm thinking you can use up to 3 Power-Ups on each level. The little star number will tell you how many stars it takes to use a Power-Up.

What do you think? Do you want to earn stars and use them to enable Power-Ups or do you want to earn coins or maybe Cake Pops to enable Power-Ups?

PowerUp.jpg

5. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

But...

The cake is a lie

Sorry, I had to

6. #6 ebartley, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
    Haha! I was waiting for that! Well done!

7. Here is a new screen shot of the power-ups. I think it looks much nicer.

SCBmini-5-20-1.jpg