Sony's NGP and the iPhone

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iNexus, Feb 2, 2011.

1. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    Okay we must admit the NGP is a beastly gaming console that currently has no competition with the power it has inside. BUT the thing Sony does is they''ll trying to bring closer the gap between console gaming and portable gaming by releasing ports of well known franchises on the console. The current philosophy between these 2 different type of gaming is that console gaming are for hardcore game that require flawless complicated control and portable gaming is mainly casual gaming simple games with simple controls that you can pull out while in line at the bank. The iPhone fits perfectly to that category, with a touchscreen and no preset buttons developers have limitless control possibilities.

This is why Angry Birds and Cut The Rope are number one on the App Store. The NGP should be considered a portable console because you won't be pulling it out while you're riding the bus or in the mall, but rather when you're at home or a friend's house or in school. The NGP also looks big and chunky so i guess you'll need a bag to carry it instead of putting it in your pocket. My point is that the NGP will better suit the hardcore gamers and the iPhone will suit the casual gamers and they both can co-exist while the sexually confused 3DS destroy children's retinas and crash and burn in sales

THE END :)

2. kemsiro

kemsiro Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Okay, I admit NGP is impressive but NGP isn't available for sale yet. And by that time it is, iPhone 5 would be on sale already. Who knows what Apple will bring us in the next generation of iPhone.

3. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    nfc is already confirmed for the iphone 5 but even with the A5 chip it still only has half the power if not less than the NGP which was made for gaming and gaming only

4. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    By the time the NGP was announced, and the technical specs too, the iphone 5 was probably already designed and hardware decided upon. If anything we'll probably see the iphone 6 have competitve specs but the iphones 5 chip and hardware is too late to be changed.

5. SON

SON Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    NY
    As long as the NGP gets good games it will dominate 3DS and anything Apple can throw at it.

6. Jongjungbu

Jongjungbu Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    If the NGP is roughly the same size as my PSP, it will fit in my pocket. The NGP touchscreen and back sensors means it's control possibilities will be limitless too. Most importantly, you are still comparing a device that is designed primarily as a phone first while the other a gaming console first. So I agree with th the OP that they can both exist just fine. They are not mutually exclusive. Some minor exceptions with iPad and iPod sorta.

But still, why argue. Did you buy an iPhone exclusively as a solution to handheld gaming? So you never make calls or receive text messages because it's a direct competitor to the PSP and NGP and therefore only plays games. It would be apalling to even do otherwise! :p It's one-dimensional and therefore the only thing we should complain about! Okay, sarcasm aside, as the iOS, DS, and PSP have already shown, you can and have both types of gamers and games (hardcore and casual) as or for a consumer for any one of those devices. And it will continue to be so for the iPhone 5, 3DS, and NGP. :)

7. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    iPhone 5 will kill the NGP. :)

8. JamesDean69

JamesDean69 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I think we should welcome any awesome system they want to throw at us. Who cares if one is better than the other. I LOVE my ipad and iphone games. So much so i play them more than my consoles now. If Sony wants to put out a great handheld specifically for gaming that kicks ass then great. I'll pick one up and love it. Like one person said the iphone is a phone first. Anything we get from iOS gaming is like a bonus. Only the people at Apple could have ever believed that the iphone would challenge the DS and PSP as a gaming device. Most others prob wud have never believed it possible and here we are. What a great surprise. The PSP2 and 3DS would be made no matter what so any great games om the iphone are like i said before, like a bonus. All the competition and great games on the iphone and ipad will only make Sony and Nintendo work harder at making a great and greater product than before. The first PSP was dissapointing. I think Sony thought that they would rule the portable market almost by default cause there was no competition as far as sheer power. The DS is underpowered compared to the PSP. So Sony got lazy and paid the price cause the DS kicked their ass. I doubt this PSP2 will be a dissapointment thats for sure.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #9 squarezero, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
    Actually, according to the specs "leaked" before the NGP was announced, the iPhone's A5 processor is just about as powerful as that of the NGP (they're both based around the same Cortex A9 architecture). Keep in mind that while the NGP is a dedicated gaming machine, Apple wants the iPhone to be a HD video beast; both task requires serious horsepower in both processor and graphic chips.

But then again, that's all that's speculation at this point, since nobody knows for sure what the iPhone 5 will be packing.

BTW, this topic really belongs in the Other Discussion area.

10. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
  11. wooseokjo

wooseokjo Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Ngp

I would get the ngp if they release gta4 i would just buy it just for the gta4 hehe and also i hope their multiplayer system is good i cant wait to play fifa multiplayer on ngp

12. colorsound

colorsound Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Video Game Developer / Photographer / Graphic Arti
    Detroit, MI
    Why do people slap this rule on handhelds that they are only for casual gaming?

I remember getting an atari lynx over 20 Years ago.
    One of the first handhelds and it could do hardware scaling (which was a big deal pre-snes). That beast was hardly casual at the time.

Maybe I feel different because I have been playing handhelds since the late 80's (I'm 34 now), but I would never try to pigeonhole a system or piece of hardware.

As far as the ngp size, it would fit just fine in my pocket as my psp always has. I would gladly play it on a bus, on a plane, a space shuttle, even on the moon.
    Maybe you are a teen who wears those spandex jeans?
    I would be surprised if an iPod touch would fit in those pockets (sorry to pigeonhole teens now! )

13. red12355

red12355 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2010
    IIRC, the leaked specs said a dual core Cortex A9 and dual core SGX 543. The NGP has a quad core A9 along with a quad core SGX 543+ (people have speculated that the "+" denotes 128mb of dedicated RAM), not to mention that the hardware would be optimized for gaming (e.g. less bandwidth issues).

In terms of raw power (and assuming the rumored A5 specs are correct), the NGP should be far more powerful than the next gen iPhone.

Not to mention that developers will have full access to the NGP hardware which will allow them to optimize the games even more (Carmack concurs) and that the NGP is probably be going to be running a more lightweight OS.

Yes I am very excited for the NGP. :D

14. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    they're called slim fit jeans just so you know and a giant psp shaped bulge in the front pocket is a rly awkward sight while wearing one :)

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I don't understand this attitude of "HEH CHECK OUT THE NGP SPECS, PACK YOUR BAGS APPLE, GAME OVER!!!" when game consoles have such a ridiculously long product cycle. The PSP was originally released in 2004, and is getting replaced by the NGP in 2012. If the NGP has a similar 8 year lifespan, how long do you honestly think it will have any kind of technological advantage? The specs seem on par with what's rumored to be included in the iPhone 5, iPad 2, and other smart phones based on similar hardware or Nvidia's Tegra 2 platform.

By the time the NGP is released, we'll already have phones that have been on the market for months that are just as powerful, and following Moore's Law, the phones we have in our hands in 2013-2014 will be roughly twice as powerful as the NGP... Which will still have another good 6-7 years left in its life before Sony releases anything else.

These are troubling times for the console warrior.

16. lurtz6

lurtz6 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Slave to the public education system
    Right behind you, with the machete raised
    I totally agree with that.

17. Squablo

Squablo Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2010
    NGP is already a failure......

Look, I already own a PSP 2001, a PSP 3001, a DSLite, and a DSiXL, 2 gameboys, 2 gameboy colors, a gameboy micro, and gameboy advance sp, and even a sega nomad I have a ton of games for all platforms. A ton of really GOOD games too. Guess what? I don't carry any of them with me!!

How many devices do you want to carry around with you? I want to carry one, and that is what makes iphone so great!

NGP is too big. Period. I mean come on, you cant put that thing in your pocket. Here are the faults I see with NGP.

- game prices - console style gameing = console style pricing
    - size - its just too big to put in your pocket
    - battery - how long can it last when its powering all that stuff? I would guess maybe 3-4 hours for battery
    - analog sticks - while we all cried for them with psp, its just a bad idea. Analog sticks wear out, and im almost positive they will not be easily replaceable.

To me, I just want to be able to play good games, while not turning off every single woman on earth, or being a target for thieves. Portable devices should be that, portable. Portable gaming should be that, portable. While I love Uncharted and Metal Gear Solid 4, neither of those games will make for a good pick up and play experience.

Im sorry sony, but I think that your playstation phone idea would be much more successful in this new world of smartphones.

I predict that this will be the last generation of dedicated handheld gaming devices, and that Nintendo's 3DS will win between the two. At least the 3DS is bringing something new to the table, and the size of the device will actually make it portable.

Im not saying I wont buy the NGP, because I do love shiny new things. Im just saying that I wont be carrying it around with me, and that most of my portable gaming will be done on my iphone.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Actually, all the rumors I've been able to find speak about a "multi-core" not dual core for the A5 -- the fact that it's described plowing through 1080p video "like water" suggests that specs will put it up there with consoles in terms of raw power. In any event, we have no real idea what will be under the hood on the iPhone 5, just like we didn't know the specs (or form factor) for the NGP till right before the official announcement.

I agree about the bandwidth issue, but keep in mind that 1) the NGP will feature 3G connectivity, which take processing power, 2) running a responsive, high-res touchscreen is pretty processor intensive as well, and the NGP has two of them, and 3) will likely feature some form of multi-tasking like the 3DS, Clearly, the days of pure gaming portable devices are pretty much over.

But Hodapp has brought up the real issue: whatever technical advantages the NGP or 3DS bring to the table will pretty much be moot within 6 months of release. With 6 year life cycle, consoles are dependent on big-budget, high-cost games to keep themselves relevant. That economic logic did not work very well for the PSP outside of Japan, and I don't see a reason why the NGP, coming out in a far more competitive environment, would be any better.

19. DopyG

DopyG Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    I think its going to be like Touchgen predicts:

from Touchgen

Source

20. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    Never.