GameClub Incoboto (by Fluttermind)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 29, 2012.

1. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    Awesome game! Dene you're inspirational mate, great game.

Love the whole aura of the game.

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    #22 Pony, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
    Developed by one person? Really? Wow... just wow.
    This fact and watching a bit of Sanuku's gameplay video made me hit that BUY button and I cannot wait to give this a try after work.
    Also: Fluttermind sounds close to Fluttershy, and Fluttershy's cutiemark is a butterfly (multiple actually) so it's all these little things that help a bit with that purchase lol. (Yes, I went there.)

3. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Managing director, artist, musician, programmer, d
    U.K.
    Thanks again for the kind words, folks.

Yup. It was just me, all by myself in a house full of synthesizers. I might post a pic of the weirder ones at some point.

Enjoy my pain. :)

Anyone having crash issues: I'm pretty sure it's the 'iPad running out of memory' thing as opposed to the game being unstable. Inco takes a fair bit of memory to run, so you might want to close a few of the apps you're running in the background.

If that doesn't work, try re-setting the iPad. This forces all memory resources to become available.

I've found the same thing with other people's apps all the time - especially if they're BIG. There's not much devs can do about it. Did you know this problem is the #1 cause of 1-star reviews these days for many developers? It's pretty scary.

4. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    By far one of my personal best on the console...just wish i had more time to help more during the beta....But aside from that what i did play was astonishing ...I must have recommended this to everyone i know with a ipad....top notch gaming for real gamers who want a emotive casual expierience...hats off to dene...AND buy the soundtrack!

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Beautiful, sad, original, funny, engaging, fun -- what more can I say? Easily one of the best games I've played on any platform recently.

It may be just me, but I'm getting a bit of a Zelda feel, with every planet system working as its own little dungeon.

In any event, this is a must buy for anyone who takes iOS gaming seriously.

6. RodmanSan

RodmanSan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Project Management Architect
    E-Troid, the Netherlands
    #26 RodmanSan, Mar 1, 2012
    Nice to know....i am one of those peeps who also has a studio full of gear....:)

Btw...also a Cirklon user....?

Edit :....now it comes to my mind...i remember you from Fable 2....:)

7. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    This is beautiful.

It looks amazing, is endearing. Gameplay and controls are brilliant. I have nothing - NOTHING negative to say about this so far. The best IOS game I've played for a very, very long time and that this has been created by one person is awe-inspiring.

Every day I seem to encounter people that make me realise I'm less intelligent and talented in every respect than I thought I was until that point!

Nice work!

Jamie.

8. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    And from Fable 1, too. And a bit of Fable 3. Toooo many years on one franchise.

No Cirklon, but a whole bunch of eurorack, an old Roland D-50, a Tenori-On, a desktop Evolver and my nice little OP-1 (which features prominently on the Gateway system music).

Folks may not know I have an album of the game music here:

http://denecarter.bandcamp.com/album/incoboto-the-soundtrack

It's at much, much higher definition and features a bonus track. You, too can relive the massive depressive crush of Incoboto while out jogging in heavy traffic. :)

Anyway, thanks so much for the kind words. I genuinely did this for no other reason. If I had, I'd have given it an easier-to-remember name.

And yes, the Zelda series is one of my all-time favourites, so the spirit is probably strongly in there somewhere.

9. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    @dev: Have you tried this on the smaller device at all? I personally prefer gaming on iPad, but at times, iPod is just more convenient. I mean, if people don't mind playing Final Fantasy Tactics and GTA and Cave games on smaller screens, i am sure they'd take this up. Plus, it increases your addressable market. That said some games are truly only for the iPad even if universal versions exist (like the ones i mentioned above :) ) Am off to buy this and see for myself.

PS: Interesting pricing strategy, hope the game does well with it.

10. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    just spend a few minutes with it yet.. but its absolutely beautiful ! [​IMG]

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Game looks fantastic, but also like it's rather easy, so I'm a little undecided. Seems to share a lot in terms of feel with World of Goo, which is not a bad thing. Something about the sound and art style is very reminiscent to me of that game.

12. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Anyone know how this plays on iPad 1 versus iPad 2? How's the performance on iPad 1? Any optimizations or whatever that makes it better on iPad 2?

Thanks!

13. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I don't know about the iPad 2 but it's smooth as silk on my original iPad. It plays beautifully.

14. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Seems like a good game but I'm stuck already, how can I reach the 20 sun gate on OneBreath?

15. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    #35 Dene, Mar 1, 2012
    Easy it is not. I can assure you of that. It was designed to be just the opposite!

As for iPad 1 vs 2. I only have an iPad 1. It was developed for that machine. It'll run amazingly on an iPad 2.

16. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Brilliant achievement Dene,absolutely beautiful game and yes it runs perfect on ipad2.Thankyou for this game

17. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Cool, thanks for the replies. I'm downloading it now (on my iPad 1)

18. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Great game. The background and story develop along side the gameplay, making for a very satisfying whole. Highly recommended.

19. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Great game! Just had to resound that along with the other post! A great night for game releases last night!

20. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Incoboto Shines in a Galaxy Full of Adventure

“It fits like a glove” is something that can’t often be said about video games and the many platforms out there. Too many variables come into play that can tip the playing experience for better or for worse. In the case of Incoboto by Fluttermind’s Dene Carter, I couldn’t imagine this amazing and unique game being more well-suited than it is on the iPad. Most players will not only feel at with this beautiful puzzle adventure, they’ll have an equally wondrous time of discovery.

In the spirit of the Mayan prophecy, the theme in Incoboto is one of devastation and ultimately rebirth and takes the player through an unfolding storyline. Journeying through a number of worlds each with its own intriguing qualities, Inco is the little guy who leaves his own world to not only save other worlds but search for any survivors. Within the galaxy, all the suns have been extinguished except for one named Helios and the responsibility lies with Inco to feed him.

The journey takes place in a galaxy through 16 star systems each full of obstacles and puzzles that need to be solved in order to secure the life source—Starpieces—Helios depends to stay bright. Charming in nature, the environments and the soundtrack make Incoboto one of those games that will both relax and engage you.

The intuitive touch controls take full advantage of the iPad and in general work remarkably well. To move Inco, press the spot where you want to move him. If you feel more comfortable, players can also switch to the directional keypad. Another basic control is jumping which Inco will do plenty of and is as simple as tapping and sliding anywhere on the screen. Inco can also carry and drop items which are designated during the game, and throwing is achieved by dragging a line from Inco toward the target and releasing.

Visually, Incoboto provides an eye appealing galaxy full of worlds waiting to be explored. The obstacles are many with lots of depth and animation. If you’ve played Soosiz, you’ll have a pretty good idea of what you’re in for as you travel around each world.

While Incoboto is a game, each planet is a microcosm of the issues we face in the real world. The Corporation has destroyed the environment, and many of the issues that Inco faces have been created to prevent progress in addressing them. Each level consists of several small planets that Inco travels and navigates between. Players will initially use gravity beams and jetpacks and later on evolve into more tricky devices such as grappling hooks and teleports.

The puzzles themselves do require a bit of exploration and coordinated moves as the solutions aren’t necessarily obvious or intuitive. As with any platformer, there’s a plethora of moving parts, switches and items that unlock hidden areas and allow players to progress further. Whether reachable by cranes or ledges, Starpieces are often located in less than easy to reach areas and often I found myself switching between the tap-to-move scheme to the directional keypad to improve movement accuracy.

The game feels linear in nature because Sungates open up once objectives are met within each level. That’s not necessarily a bad thing because you’ll want to spend some time exploring the various worlds. You’ll often come across an object such as a switch that is seemingly so out of reach and have you scratching your head. The details are worth checking out simply because there are so many ways to interact with the environment. And while many may want to rush through the game, Incoboto is one that should be savored.

Along the way, Inco is reminded of the Corporation via monitors activated by touch. The messages can be ominous, and most serve as warnings of things to come. The game feels balanced as the puzzles gradually become more difficult and test your logic and decision making skills.

Incoboto has GameCenter and OpenFeint support which provides for a variety of achievements.

Incoboto’s satisfying experience is one that many will enjoy because it evokes that sense that while the galaxy may be large, everything is connected in some way. That may sound strange to talk about a game in that sense, but once you start playing, “there’s no place like home” will likely ring true.

Albie Meter: 5 Stars (imaginative game in an equally imaginative world; engaging gameplay that will have many rushing to complete it and disappointed once it finally ends; unique levels along with intuitive controls; well balanced difficulty)