Will there even be iPads being made in 2019?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Just read a story about how tablets in general, and iPads in particular might go the way of the Dodo bird due to the fact that phones are getting bigger and more powerful. Sales of iPads have dropped in the last year. The story went on to surmise that possibly all tablets might get phased out.

Personally, I wish I wasn't so deeply tied to the Apple economy. For the same price as an iPad, I can get very nice Android tablet with boatloads of storage space. I don't game "that much", though I do iOS game.

I have a new Galaxy S4 that I love way more than I ever loved my iPhone, and the screen is considerably larger than my iPhone screen was.

I know I will always want a tablet. My S4 is as large a phone as I would ever want. So, for me, whether it be an iPad or an Android tablet, I will always want one...... but apparently that is not the case for all people who do have tablets.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-07-22/the-ipad-continues-to-struggle-and-a-new-iphone-could-make-it-worse

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I've had my iPad mini for little over a year, my first apple product, and I adore it, I can't imagine ever being without it. I got an s4 a few months ago which I also adore. I use them both for different things, my mini is mainly for gaming and websurfing etc, my s4 is for photos and music, and of course calls and texts haha.
    Because my storage is limited on the mini I don't like to have music and photos on as it hogs all the space, and grants the s4 has a nice large screen, it's not large enough for me to comfortable game on it, I guess you could merge it all into a tablet in the future but I don't wanna be answering something bigger then my actual head to take a call so I personally will always want both.

3. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    #3 one.sixty.four, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    There will always be a place for the tablet. A phone will never be 7.9 - 9.7 inches. I'd be ridiculous. Apple devices will always be superior in terms of power (first moblie 64 bit chip in the newest gen.) design, apps available and build quality. iPads are $400 - $900 for a reason. So I'd say buy a nice maxed 128GB iPad, hands down. Just to clarify I'm not trying to insult anyone who own an android/windows device, I'm sure everyone who has a non apple device has a viable reason for buying them, so I'm sorry if it comes off that way. I'm an apple fan.

4. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I actually see tablets becoming more important with time, especially once they get touch sensitive screens to work cost effectively. The extra real estate is pretty important for a lot of different applications.

5. joew

joew Active Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Producer & Engineer @ Creoterra
    Toronto, Canada
    As long as people want experiences on the larger screen they will always be around.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I use to love my iPad, but now I think it's just OK. I have an iPad 2 and I definitely won't be buying another tablet. I'd much rather have a MacBook Air. I use to like mobile gaming, but I don't play that stuff nearly at all any more. I love my iPhone, though, and want to get an iPhone 6 when they are out. Will be a big upgrade from my iPhone 4. :)

7. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Hmm, they weren't first with 3G, 4G, bigger screens, better processors, etc. Their "retina" display was quickly surpassed, and 64 bit chips is good PR but means nothing when no one makes apps/games utilizing it.

8. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I foresee that the future will have more laptop/tablet hybrids such as Surface and Yoga. As much as I love the iPad, I can't see it being used as much in 5 years.

My hope will be that Apple will create an iPad/Mac hybrid with dual os. Unlikely, but would still be cool and fit my wants.

9. The iPad will stay a piece of art. Long time ago, Apple products was praised for their apps, now its for their perform and design. But i think it's time to made an 500go iPad now...

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The problem with those hybrids is that they tend to be crappy laptops. See many a Surface 3 review. And at this point I don't really care about the tablet part any more, so there is no point. Touch input is good for (some) games, but it's terrible for most other things.

11. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I think we'll all see the day when you can plug your phone/tablet into a laptop barebone and it actually works well.
    Hybrids like this already exist, but they are less than stellar. But with some dedicated effort it's possible to build a good one today I'd say.
    Things like Yoga & Surface are nice ideas, but the added weight is deciding factor for me. I almost never need a real keyboard on my iPad; and when I do, I'd prefer to use a large one (ideally my ergonomic) and not one of those plug-on keyboard covers. Not to mention mouse, headset and a ton of software (at least for work) . But for, say, 95 out of 100 hour usage all that'd be dead weight.

Tablets going the way of the Dodo? Well, I want to see folks with a 12" phone :p

12. evilabdy

evilabdy Well-Known Member

With these flexible displays coming soon I'm imagining a day where we will be able to roll up our devices like a news paper etc. but it's just inagining.

I'm sure eventually iPads will be something we implant into our brain lol

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I've got an ipad but i dont use it as much as my iphone, normally read books/comics and use it for my iCade

If they go away they go away, i'm not too worried. Think its a bit like the ipod touch which seems to be phased out. After years of playing games on a gameboy and other handheld devices i love playing games on my iphone on the small screen rather than an ipad. I wouldnt be interested in these 'phablet' sizes either.

If anything i want 128 gig phones though (or more)

14. BitStern

BitStern Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2014
    I got an iPad Mini Retina, too. I use it everyday for surfing the internet, skype, tweeting, Telegram messaging and so on. The biggest downside is the big price - especially when you need LTE and a big storage...