How important is Music/Sound to the Mobile Game?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Yixman, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Yixman

Yixman Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Hi,

My team and I (it's just a couple of us :p) are developing a maze runner. On board we got artists and developers but no guy with experience with sound.

We tried looking at open source resources like opengameart for sound fx and audionetwork and indiegamemusic for BGM, and there are some that can "fit" into what we're trying to do, but nothing that really awesome that we like.

We've been looking at this for a couple days now and it's delaying our progress, imo.

What I would like to know from those with experience is how critical is it to get the MUSIC and SOUND absolutely right? Frankly I usually play mobile with the music/sound off and it doesn't play into the equation when I think of a great mobile game but I'm unsure as to the reality of the entire marketplace.

IF it is essential, any tips for my fledgling team that someone can offer us?

2. Phil128

Phil128 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Germany
    I recently added music to my game, the overall response to that is pretty good. So I think it does matter.
    Got a sound designer on fiverr.com who created some 8 bit sound loops, which in my opinion sound awesome.

3. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I too often play with sound off, but seriously it is so important. Sound can make an average game right.

Games like super hexagon the soundtrack made the game attention grabbing.

If you aren't skilled in that area, temple run is fairly minimalist with sound as a good example.

I would consider it very important. As part of my job I teach kids to make video games sometimes and adding sound turns crappy games into fun games a lot.

4. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Sound and music is one of those things that if done well, an average person may not even realize that they're noticing it... but if its done poorly, it can be potentially game breaking.

So, imo music and sfx are a very important part of polish and immersion! Also, GREAT music and sfx might actually be able to turn heads and become a selling point (like with the upcoming Ocean Horn, and it seems the music was a big deal in Sword & Sorcery as well).

There are plenty of websites that sell high quality sfx and music for relatively cheap... I'd definitely recommend checking them out!

5. TheGreatWhiteApe

TheGreatWhiteApe Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Games Designer, animator, writer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Music and Sound is crucial!

Bad sound is a dead giveaway that the app is not professionally built. You don't have to spends stacks of money there are some great royalty free sites you can use like www.musicloops.com that have a stack of great tracks you can buy for your app to give it a boost. For $30 you can get a great track.

For game sounds search around the net, there are a stack of great free sound sites. If you do a search for .wav or 'game sounds'.

Don't over do it though, one annoying sound that repeats too often can get you some bad reviews.

6. BlindAlbino

BlindAlbino Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I am Co-Founder and Art Director for Blind Albino,
    La Habra Hights, California
    I agree with everything being said here. I believe that people may eventually turn the sound off, but to first experience an app, most people pay close attention to the entire audio visual experience. Also, don't be afraid to collaborate with some creative sound designers. I come across very talented musicians, composers, and sound engineers all the time through my various work experiences, and there are a lot of people looking to get some exposure who are very reasonable with their expectations for compensation, etc. Put the word out that you're looking to work with someone specifically for your project, and the end results could easily surpass your original expectations. I see it happen all the time.

7. lepke

lepke Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Japan
    If music is a part of gameplay, sets tone, music game etc. very important.

If the game is not about that then at least give me the option to play my own music or listen to something else since it isn't important.

Sound is always important to me and barely will I play without it.

Maybe you can visit your local music college or school or visit some studio and ask around if someone wants to give some of their time to make sounds for your game and to be in the credits of course. I have done similar before for other skill sets when I needed people.