Universal Dark Incursion (By Big Blue Bubble)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Oct 20, 2011.

1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Dark Incursion engine supports full spectrum of 3D rendering methods (unfortunately, anaglyph is only one currently available for iOS) so there is an impact on performance. If you can check the game in 3D mode (you need any red/blue 3D glasses) you will see that there are dozens of layers scrolling at the same time (many of them animated). On some devices (LG 3D phone for example) game looks really spectacular.
    Optimizing it for 2D only will take a while due to the way how the scenes are designed and rendered. Hopefully we will see 3D screen on iPhone soon!

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Or not. Speaking as a 3DS owner, I can't think of a more useless and pointless "advance" in smartphone design. 60 FPS performance is a 1000 times more desirable than a silly 3D effect.

3. dark1x

dark1x Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Even still, I can't imagine that a 4S or iPad 2 would really have issues hitting 60 fps with this game.

That said, I would give up 3D for 60 fps anytime. The higher framerate makes for an infinitely more playable game. Are you guys using a limiter of some sort or is this hard coded in? The 3DS can deliver actual 3D and I've found that I rarely use it anymore. It was a fun gimmick, but it actually detracts from the experience for me (too much cross talk).

4. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I have not gotten this game (yet) but would if I had not seen all the bad control reviews. The 3D thing just does not interest me at all and kind of put me off. Its a gimmick that is getting old. Have a good game that people can play and dont worry about the 3D.

5. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    The controls are fine! Really, trust me. I've played a bajillion 2D side scrollers in my time (with real buttons and virtual ones) and I have no idea what is wrong with the people who say game is 'unplayable.' I need to make a video tuturial on how to play this game apparently.

6. Bertman

Sep 7, 2011
    Well it does look good maybe I will take your word for it.

7. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    The controls are terrible and I've played countless old school console games that this mirrors.

There's a reason everyone has been complaining about the controls. They're not making this up. They are terrible.

8. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I went ahead and picked this up, even with all the complaints about the controls. They said a fix is in the works, plus it's on sale right now as a launch special. Besides, this is exactly the kind of game I want to see on the app market, so I don't mind supporting the cause. :)

9. caanerud

Mar 28, 2011
    I don't find the controls to be terrible at all. I'm sorry that you think they are terrible. You may have heard that a fix has been submitted that will turn this game into a one-button game so you can play it. I hope you enjoy it after the update.

10. caanerud

Mar 28, 2011
    Just as a warning, there's only an hours worth of game here. Then you get the dreaded 'to be continued.' So can we please complain about that instead of the controls now? Thanks.

11. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Why not both? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I appreciate the "goodwill" of fixing the control in the upcoming, but am I the only one thinks they know that already when it hits the shelf?!

I buy game for a fun product but not for support. I think I am passing this one.

12. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    The reason people are complaining about the controls is because they have issue with them. It's swell for you that you find them to be a-ok, but expecting others to stop complaining because that is the case is a little unreasonable, don't you think?

13. Bertman

Sep 7, 2011
    So simple question is this game worth getting? Is it really short?

14. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    The control fix *just* went live!

I'll get back to you after I played a bit more...

15. Bertman

Sep 7, 2011
    Great hope the fix worked.

16. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Oooh, the controls are pretty good now. They joystick is fixed in place and now it's so much better to play.

No comment on re-playability yet...

17. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Can anyone confirm the fix is making the game more "playable" now? I may change my mind...

18. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    The game is infinitely more playable.

It's not a bad game - in fact, it's pretty good, but I just can't recommend it. If you think it looks interesting, it works now.

19. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks, I have read yours earlier and want for more reviews.

20. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Game is now playable and AWESOME!