Launching tomorrow... STOP the presses (and prepare for stop references)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Fanatee, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Fanatee

Fanatee Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Game developers for fun games
    São Paulo, Brazil
    #1 Fanatee, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    Hey guys! We've got a new game coming out tomorrow called Stop that we'd love to get your thoughts on. It's basically Scattergories for mobile: You play against one other person and think up words in five categories that start with the same letter, and stop the clock before your opponent can win. We think the action is pretty heart-stopping.

The app is free, so we hope you'll stop by the app store tomorrow to download it! We'll post the download link in the thread once the app is in the store.

One last thing: If you have any ideas for categories, we'd be grateful if you'd share! We want a long list of categories, but we've been so busy developing that our brains stopped working...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Like the sound of this, my daughter loves this type of thing so it's something I could play with her, only thing that sounds iffy is being able to stop the game without answering all categories, I think some people would just hit stop after filling in one word to stop the pop from getting anything, I've played enough multiplayer games to know a lot of people don't like losing.ve never played scattergories so dunno if that's a usual rule but if think people should at least have three or four answers filled in before being able to stop the game.

I will def try it with my little girl.

3. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    This looks really fun! Will definitely try it out!

4. Fanatee

Fanatee Member

Jan 22, 2014
    São Paulo, Brazil
    cloudpuff you make a good point! So far we havent seen that, but we will keep an eye out for it. It seems there are two kinds of players - ones that scan the whole list first, then start writing, and ones that start at the top and work their way down. If you start at the top and work your way down, you seem to be more able to handle someone who decided to hit STOP quickly.

That being said - if you do hit stop without filling anything out, and the other person has no time to fill anything out either - no one wins the round (its a tie at 0-0) and you basically waste the round. If people are going to be doing that... they might as well not play right?

Lastly - that little trick would only work if you are the first player in a set. If you are the second player, then you have no idea how many words the first player put in, or how long they took to do it. First and second player change up on every round.

5. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Ahhhh, I thought each person played at the same time, but it's one person takes their turn and then the next takes theirs?

I'm the types who works from top down, which is obv the best type lol.

6. Fanatee

Fanatee Member

Jan 22, 2014
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Yeah, simultaneous over mobile networks with a game that is as time sensitive as STOP is, has too many problems. One of the nice things about mobile is the "pick up, play, put down, come back later, play again" pattern. Its why apps like Words with Friends and Draw Something did so well.

But hey - no one has offered any additional category selections yet! We added "My Boss Is" late in the game because we thought it would be fun - but we want more input from you guys (and girls!)

7. Fanatee

Fanatee Member

Jan 22, 2014
    São Paulo, Brazil