Does the real game of the quest star better than the demo?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Ryan4454, May 26, 2009.

1. Ryan4454

Ryan4454 Active Member

May 22, 2009
    #1 Ryan4454, May 26, 2009
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
    I love rpgs like oblivion but the quest starts weird in the demo. Is it better in the real version?

*title is meant to say start not star

2. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    There's a light version of the quest?

3. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    The Quest Lite

4. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    no, it is exactly the same:D

5. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    I have the full version of this and I've tried to play it several times - I'm SURE it's great once it gets going but just can't seem to get in to it. Possibly the start isn't the best advert for the longevity and enjoyment the game provides?

I'd love to be persuaded to try one more time...

Jamie.

6. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Well, I love the game, and I am not sure what is "weird" about the beginning of it. I mean, your char is sent to investigate what goes on in Freymore and you do it by undertaking side-quests and exploring. You also hear various hints and rumors about what may be going on. You only get a solid lead on the main quest in the third city you reach - and it is a great approach, IMHO.

BTW, it is possible to transfer the save from the Lite to the full game, so you don't even have to restart if you upgrade.

7. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    I tried the lite and just gave up on it. It was awkard to go anywhere and I had no idea where I was going or what I had to do. In the end it left me bored and frustrated and ended up being deleted which was a shame. I was hoping that I would be wowed and want to get The Quest so I could enjoy an RPG with many hours of adventure time.

8. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    yeah me too.
    Just get Zenonia instead

9. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    The Quest is a bit hard to get into. So was Legacy for that matter (the game Redshift made before The Quest). Both of them are definitely worth the perseverance required to get started, though. As far as The Quest is concerned, the beginning of the game is different depending on what race you choose. For those that have struggled to get into the game, maybe trying a different race would make enough of a difference.

10. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    I couldn't really get into the quest either, I don't really know why I bought it. I'm so burned out by "questing" due to playing MMO's for the last 11 years. I'm so tired of reading the same unimaginitive text in games that tells you to go here or there and do a or b.

11. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    One of the best things about the lite version was the card game in the inn. That alone made the game worth a buy, IMHO.

The devs should really think about spinning off the card game into it's own full fledged app.

12. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    A stand alone version of the card game (beefed up, of course) was at least in the planning stages when they were still developing Pocket PC software. Now that they've moved to the iPhone market, I'm not sure where that project stands. Hopefully they'll still make it, as it would provide some nice competition to Orions.

13. uSICu

uSICu Well-Known Member

May 2, 2009
    Construction
    Oklahoma
    I really enjoyed it. You have to do a quest or so for the Governor before it really gets started up, but after the confusing intro I really like it. It kinda reminded me of a mix of Oblivion or Morrowind and an old First Person RPG.

14. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I really like the card game, but it is a bit too simple for a standalone app, IMHO.

As to "confusing", you have to be an explorer in the Quest. You have to look for quests (and they can be behind every door, or given by an NPc in the wilderness, though usually a mayor's house is a good first place to try), you have to explore areas, etc.

The one thing that helps in the beginning is using the regional map. It seems empty, but when you tap on various locations, their names appear. So, the first thing to do after finishing the starter cave is to go to the nearby village of Matras and pick up quests/equipement/training there.

15. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    There were caves at the beginning? I started in a town and wandered endlessly getting one quest that I could never figure out where to go to complete it. Had to delete the game after after an hour of this endless wandering.

16. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    IIRC, hey changed it so that now you don't just start _near_ a cave with the first quest in it, but get teleported inside, so that it would be impossible to miss. By fulfilling this quest you also immediately gets you a lead at the next 3.

Well, honestly a look at the quest description and another at the regional map should have solved that particular problem! There are more quests in Matras - one only needs to try hatched doors.
    Also, usually you get quite clear directions were to go - unless figuring it out is part of the quest (very rare).